English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What game do you want to see ported to the Amiga?
Rolling Thunder (Arcade) 21 6.58%
Gauntlet (Arcade) 29 9.09%
Shinobi (Arcade) 49 15.36%
Pacman (Arcade) 7 2.19%
Final Fight (Arcade) 35 10.97%
Rastan (Arcade) 30 9.40%
Side Arms (Arcade) 1 0.31%
Nemesis/Gradius (Arcade) 13 4.08%
Raiden (Arcade) 10 3.13%
Raiden II (Arcade) 11 3.45%
Space Invaders (Arcade) 2 0.63%
Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja (Arcade) 6 1.88%
Wonder Boy (Arcade) 46 14.42%
Axelay (SNES) 9 2.82%
Double Dragon (Arcade) 13 4.08%
None - Do my own game! 37 11.60%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 May 2021, 08:34   #701
d4rk3lf

Because these types of games are almost non existent on the Amiga.
Unlike platformers, racing games, shooters, adventures, strategies, 1vs1 fighting games... etc.
Old 26 May 2021, 11:52   #702
roondar

I thought there were a bunch of brawler games on the Amiga?
Not an expert on them though, I never did get much further than Golden Axe (which I really liked) and one of the Double Dragons (which I didn't).
Old 26 May 2021, 12:34   #703
d4rk3lf

There is no single Amiga brawler (except from upcoming Metro Siege), that have that awesome capcom gameplay mechanic, like Final Fight, Captain Commando, Punisher.. etc.
There is a huge difference between mentioned games, and Double Dragon, Golden Axe.. etc..
Almost like totally different type of games.
Old 26 May 2021, 13:41   #704
Konrad

mcgeezer doesn't program games for a living, but because of motivation and/or challenge. You have to consider this.

Rygar was a challenge, because there was no port on Amiga, and we could all read how much work it was.

Turbo sprint was also challenge, because of the high resultion, which is rare in Amiga games.

The challenge of a Brawler (what's possible on classic Amigas) is currently being fulfilled by the "Metro Siege" team. Also judging from his posts he doesn't seem to be too interested in porting Final Fight. So where is the incentive for him ? I love Final Fight. But it's getting too much. The thread started interesting and alot of games were named. But now gets flooded with posts about FF.

I'd rather hear from mcgeezer if he has a tendency what to port by now.
Old 26 May 2021, 13:48   #705
d4rk3lf

Ahh.. sorry about that.
I have no intention to tell mcgeezer, or anyone to port this or that... it's totally coder's will.
I respect every single port, or new game, whatever that might be...

Also, I am all ear to hear other suggestions.

Anyway, I also think we said pretty much everything that needs to be said for FF.
Old 26 May 2021, 15:00   #706
CFou!

1988 P.O.W.: Prisoners of War (Arcade)
it would be easier to convert on amiga than Final fight (lest memory needed for enemies, less colors, smaller fighters...)

it's cool game too...
Old 26 May 2021, 15:41   #707
jotd
This cat is no more

what about porting MAME properly with gcc 10 and optimizations so at least Pacman and other not too demanding games work on a classic amiga?

because official Mame68k is darn slow.
Old 26 May 2021, 16:15   #708
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
A based configuration is a stock Amiga as I described above... time will never change that.
You got it. It is a based configuration but not the base configuration. Don't propagate your definition of a (one and only) base configuration because that would be just false.

Quote:
This is not a fact, this '68030 base system' stuff is your opinion and nothing more. Reading this forum, it seems to me there's plenty of OCS/ECS only users still around.
That is not my opinion. I didn't mentioned my opinion in this thread and maybe not this year on eab. It is well known that Amiga didn't stopped with A500 + 512kb. The (active) Amiga users used at least 030 + fastram + HD starting from mid '90. Of course many switched to other systems. If all users here would be OCS/ESC only users wouldn't change that.

Quote:
As for being fixed in the past, the Amiga is the past.
I thought Amiga is the future. Sorry, I don't know what do you want to say.
Quote:
This entire hobby is about a dead system. That is fine (I'm super happy with my Amiga's), but claiming Amiga developers need to move with the times is rather silly given that context, don't you think?
I didn't claim anything. Didn't I wrote everybody can do/choose whatever he/she likes?!
Old 26 May 2021, 17:23   #709
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
That is not my opinion. I didn't mentioned my opinion in this thread and maybe not this year on eab. It is well known that Amiga didn't stopped with A500 + 512kb. The (active) Amiga users used at least 030 + fastram + HD starting from mid '90. Of course many switched to other systems. If all users here would be OCS/ESC only users wouldn't change that.
Yes, it really is just your opinion. Don't understand why this is so hard for you to grasp - you saying something is a base configuration doesn't make it so. You can repeat it as often as you like, but that still won't make it anything other than an opinion.
Quote:
Sorry, I don't know what do you want to say.
It's not that hard, the Amiga is a dead system. So it's the past. Don't know how to make it any easier for you.
Quote:
I didn't claim anything. Didn't I wrote everybody can do/choose whatever he/she likes?!
So I don't understand something: you say that there is no fixed base system and agree with me that it's just a choice...

So why all this stuff about 68030's? After all, I'm not arguing that people shouldn't code for them. Rather the opposite, I'm arguing that people should target whatever Amiga they like (by repeatedly pointing out everyone is free to have their own opinion). All I'm really adding is that I personally wouldn't go that route and don't really see the point myself. But if someone wants to do it, sure, why not? I never said any different.

Last edited by roondar; 26 May 2021 at 17:32.
Old 26 May 2021, 18:16   #710
mcgeezer

Quote:
You got it. It is a based configuration but not the base configuration. Don't propagate your definition of a (one and only) base configuration because that would be just false.
Maybe it's a language barrier thing but writing "do not propagate" is quite an offensive thing to say... I'm assuming you don't really want to come across as that and i'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

For clarity though.

The base configuration is what the stock Amiga is, be an A500, an A600 or A1200, I don't know any other way to say it but I refer to this as a stock machine and i'm not "propagating" anything. I'm pretty sure everyone in the thread knows that... but perhaps it is news to you so I've clarified it.
Old 26 May 2021, 18:18   #711
jotd
This cat is no more

If anything I create runs properly on a classic amiga, even 68040 with 3Tb of fastmem, I'm already happy

Checking source code of some old games I got my hands on, it's clear that game devs shoehorned their games to fit 512k chip or even 512k total. It often involved hacks and changing a constant in the code often results in corruption because of something else implicitly depending on that constant (different memory layouts)
Old 26 May 2021, 18:29   #712
nikosidis

I vote
None - Do my own game.

Take some ideas from classic games and do something with a modern twist.

Could be some Galaxian game that generates a code to get to the online hiscore-list.
If you have Amiga online it would be automatic.
The Hiscore system could be quite advanced.
Best score per level. Best total score. Highest reached level etc.
I miss something like this for Amiga. I like that Reshoot-R and Tiny little slug got the online Hiscore system but they are more advanced games.

Some simple game would be cool!

Something that people could just sit down and play for 5 mins. and possibly get on the online Hiscore.
Old 27 May 2021, 08:02   #713
Aarbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOU! View Post
1988 P.O.W.: Prisoners of War (Arcade)
it would be easier to convert on amiga than Final fight (lest memory needed for enemies, less colors, smaller fighters...)

it's cool game too...
I agree, very cool game indeed.

The music in P.O.W., specially stages 2 and 3, are memorable and would need some special care, since it's very FM synthesis sounding.

But there are good examples on the Amiga: Saint Dragon for example, its music sounds very FM synthesis (in a good sense) and so it's faithful to the arcade original.
Old 27 May 2021, 11:45   #714
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
If anything I create runs properly on a classic amiga, even 68040 with 3Tb of fastmem, I'm already happy
Honestly, I'd be extremely impressed if you managed to create an Amiga setup with 3TB of Fast Memory. Let alone create a program that actually requires that much memory (well in 2021 that is - who knows what we'll end up with later) .
Old 27 May 2021, 16:23   #715
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Yes, it really is just your opinion. Don't understand why this is so hard for you to grasp - you saying something is a base configuration doesn't make it so. You can repeat it as often as you like, but that still won't make it anything other than an opinion.
I thought it already. It seems just a "big" misunderstanding. Talking about different things. I think it came from the statement that everybody back in the days were using A500 +512kb and therefore it was the base system configuration. So it is still today the base were I disagreed. My argument was, in mid '90 the majority used at least 68030 + fastram + HD. At that time I still use my A500 + 1,8MB + AmigaActionReplay + some floppy drives. It was more or less dead for some time already and hence upgrade or switch the system must happen.

Today we have nearly everything and much more different "base" system configurations. I think, if today someone make/port a game there is no reason to stick to a special system configuration. We all agree that everybody is free to choose whatever he likes. At the end a time wasting needless discussion. Sorry.

Quote:
It's not that hard, the Amiga is a dead system. So it's the past. Don't know how to make it any easier for you.
I just didn't understood what it has to do with the discussion. That Amiga is a dead system is obvious. Ok, some would argue that Amiga is very alive. I can live with both.

Quote:
Maybe it's a language barrier thing but writing "do not propagate" is quite an offensive thing to say... I'm assuming you don't really want to come across as that and i'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Yes, language barrier + misunderstanding. For me propaganda is all around us each day. For example if you repeat something (true or false) on and on. Usually, true propaganda isn't a problem for us. At least it wasn't my intention to attack someone.

Quote:
The base configuration is what the stock Amiga is, be an A500, an A600 or A1200, I don't know any other way to say it but I refer to this as a stock machine and i'm not "propagating" anything. I'm pretty sure everyone in the thread knows that... but perhaps it is news to you so I've clarified it.
You was talking about base configuration = stock Amiga. I was talking about base configuration = any (choose what you want) Amiga. You just forgot (or don't count them?) the other Amiga models like A3000/A4000 what comes with 040 and maybe also 030 (I'm not sure). As far as I can remember the stock Amiga 1200 Magic Pack comes also with HD + some software.
Old 27 May 2021, 16:32   #716
mcgeezer

Quote:

You was talking about base configuration = stock Amiga. I was talking about base configuration = any (choose what you want) Amiga. You just forgot (or don't count them?) the other Amiga models like A3000/A4000 what comes with 040 and maybe also 030 (I'm not sure). As far as I can remember the stock Amiga 1200 Magic Pack comes also with HD + some software.

I'm talking about the minimum base configuration you could buy for that particular model of Amiga.
Old 27 May 2021, 16:42   #717
roondar

Quote:
Today we have nearly everything and much more different "base" system configurations. I think, if today someone make/port a game there is no reason to stick to a special system configuration. We all agree that everybody is free to choose whatever he likes. At the end a time wasting needless discussion. Sorry.
It happens, I misunderstood you and you misunderstood me. Not the end of the world, it's been cleared up now
Old 27 May 2021, 16:49   #718
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Honestly, I'd be extremely impressed if you managed to create an Amiga setup with 3TB of Fast Memory. Let alone create a program that actually requires that much memory (well in 2021 that is - who knows what we'll end up with later) .

pre-computed c2p tables for all values of bitplanes would use several terabytes
Old 27 May 2021, 17:25   #719
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
pre-computed c2p tables for all values of bitplanes would use several terabytes
That would be crazy and so much fun if it were possible . I was more thinking of the difficulty of finding that many SIMMS though. Actually, I thought I read somewhere the Amiga doesn't accept more than a measly 1.9GB. Though that may be wrong
Old 27 May 2021, 17:43   #720
Don_Adan

Quote:
That would be crazy and so much fun if it were possible . I was more thinking of the difficulty of finding that many SIMMS though. Actually, I thought I read somewhere the Amiga doesn't accept more than a measly 1.9GB. Though that may be wrong
Amiga with 68020+ CPU can use up to 4GB of memory, only current version of Amiga OS can handle 2GB, but maybe it will be fixed in next versions of Amiga OS. WinUAE can be used for tests. On Amiga you can use memory over 2GB address only in "dirty" way, without allocation. But this is not problem for c2p tables.