English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 06 September 2006, 18:23   #1
BippyM
Global Moderator

The closure of Deadwood.inc

Right guys as we all know due to some unfortunate stupidity from minuous and an oversite from Glwxxx Deadwood.inc has had to remove ALL amiga related projects and software from the site.

This is due to minuous hosting kickstart roms and os3.9 on his deadwood account. Another member decided to act and reported the site to cloanto, who in turn contacted the hosts and well amiga-deadwood is dead!

Now we can all sit in front of our machines and post negative and derogatory remarks about both Glwxxx and Minuous (I did this myself in anger) but it is not going to change the situation or fix it.

From this point onwards nobody is to post any negativity in the EAB forums, if you have an issue about this or feel the need to vent then contact either minuous or glwxxx in PM or email.

I am sure that all those involved in this unfortunate incident have learnt a valuable lesson and it isn't something i'm sure they'll want to repeat again!

Let's work together to fix this problem and at the least see if there is somewhere that can host the WHDLoad project and the Amiga Power project at the very least.
Old 06 September 2006, 19:10   #2
Bloodwych

That is such sad news. Woody was up there amongst the most generous people in the Amiga scene hosting all those great projects.

I don't know what happened so I'm not going to rant on (although I'm sure people are going to be curious now), but unfortunately there was always a danger that this could happen eventually. It only takes one slip up or person to bring great internet sites down.

This really is a shame as it was a fantastic resource for this now small community. As you said Bippy, we need to band together and come up with a solution - what's done is done.
Old 06 September 2006, 19:20   #3
Paul
RIP Friends

I’m sad this has happened and all I’m going to post is this...Thanks Woody for everything you’ve done.
Old 06 September 2006, 19:24   #4
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Just been negative in keropi's topic before I read this, sorry bippym. And thanks to woody for everything he's done for us and this whole community.
Old 06 September 2006, 19:25   #5
keropi

do you know the old Ramones song, that does like this:
Beat on the brat with a baseball bat, oh yeah, oh yeah, oh oh oh yeah!

keropi runs to find his bat....

edit: so I am angry as hell! why not ? because someone being "the good guy" closed a VALUABLE resource , we must all back off and let him go? He must be flamed to hell!
Old 06 September 2006, 19:31   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

Who is to blame keropi?

I know you are pissed off, the rest of us are too, but there is little point in making waves, it's not going to bring it back and it's not going to fix it.

If you want to flame him do it on another forum or PM them. Don't do it here!
Old 06 September 2006, 19:36   #7
keropi

yeah, ok , I am very angry...
really.
Old 06 September 2006, 19:53   #8
Marcuz

i'm sad too, but understand that there's people that has lost more than us, namely the people that loosed all the work done and i don't see them running around naked screaming. well there's fred, but he doesn't count.
really, it's not our place to vent anger here, and if one is constructive and drop the outrage, maybe he can restart better what has lost. this is true for everything i think.
Old 06 September 2006, 19:58   #9
keropi

I propose he is banned from here.
that's right, ban him. there is no excuse for him. if he wanted he could contact / ask for help here. but no, he had to be a "saint".
ban him I say!
Old 06 September 2006, 19:59   #10
Ironclaw
Banned

Excuse me, but what is deadwood.inc?

About closing down... we at recordedamigagames had a secret page hosing the latest amiga game tosec, cd32, cdtv etc.... which we gave out to people in need of games, like people who were asking for games here...

The page lasted for 2 weeks til someone telled on us! (told our host)... and our host threated to shut down the whole site if the secret page with all games weren't removed instantly.
Old 06 September 2006, 20:02   #11
BippyM
Global Moderator

Nobody is being banned.. Glwxxx has done nothing towards eab!
Old 06 September 2006, 20:03   #12
keropi

deadwood.inc amogst other things, hosted the KEYRING site, the WHDLOAD UPDATE PACKS site...
so it will be missed A LOT.

edit: he has done to the ppl that are actually EAB.
Old 06 September 2006, 20:15   #13
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I agree with Keropi... WE are EAB, he has affected US. Whether that requires banning is up to the Mods who look after EAB (us). Personally I dont think banning is useful as what will it achieve?
Old 06 September 2006, 20:24   #14
keropi

well yeah, he can rejoin with another nick or whatever, this is for moral reasons. a slight incovenience to him, but this would be the seal of the hatred he caused upon him. the only way we have to show we don't appreciate what he did. ofcourse it is up to the mods... they know better. I am angry.
and now ppl start wondering where the packs are...
Old 06 September 2006, 20:31   #15
Marcuz

i don't think that ban is open to discussion. i don't even agree that he should. while one may disagree about someone else view on copyright or on the value of an action like the one done in the name or a so called welfare of a so called amiga scene, or even the good intention or lack of application (if any there was):
1) there's the law.
2) there's the fact that the dude has not directly, neither willfully, arrecated damage at EAB
Old 06 September 2006, 20:41   #16
keropi

Ok, I am not going to turn it to a ban / no ban thread. This is not my decision / intention after all. I am just stating my thoughts on the matter.
I don't really care if there was os3.9 , 4 or whatever on those servers. anyone with 1% brain can get all these and more via emule/torrents. He could settle this here, with a couple of PM's. but no. he chose another way, and this way caused WAY MORE damage than good.
Old 06 September 2006, 20:43   #17
BippyM
Global Moderator

He posted on another amiga forum 1 month ago!

It's a shame he didn't post here and it is a shame minuous didn't remove the files when asked and then told to!

I don't blame glwxxx now I have thought about it. Minuous is the one to blame, yet he thought he was helping the scene...
Old 06 September 2006, 20:52   #18
Marcuz

i don't blame anyone really, it's a delicate question, they both have definite opinions and, while i disagree strongly with both of them, there's the law. i just wish that it would have been not brandished like that. it's a shit that happened.
Old 06 September 2006, 21:01   #19
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
True bippym, it is not like Minous didnt know what he was doing...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...light=slapping

see posts 15 and 16
Old 06 September 2006, 22:35   #20
rare_j
Zone Friend

How sad that it comes to this.

I'd like to thank you for your generosity for hosting KG's packs amongst other things.