English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 June 2004, 09:53   #1
Tim Janssen

Hooooo Extreme makeovers

Throughout the years many games have appeared in which the final product looked (drastically) different from the previews. Examples I can think of are Donk (different main sprite, baddies and music), Lemmings 2 (no zoom-in/zoom-out mode in final game), Disposable Hero (different level lay-out) and The Blues Brothers (different baddie-sprites and level lay-out).

For my site I am looking for scanned previews of games that turned into something different. I am especially looking for early previews of Walker. I know that in CU Amiga and Amiga Joker screenshots were released where the pilot left the Walker and started to hunt for extra power-ups.
If you know any game that looks different can you give some information or put some screenshots here? Thanks.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 15 June 2004 at 11:51.
Old 15 June 2004, 11:57   #2
Amiga1992

Uridium was supposed to have a section where the Mantha got transformed into a robot and entered the dreadnought core in a side-view platformish shoot'em up action thingy fashion. There were pics of this in many WIPs

Alien Breed 2 had very gory piccies that were removed later in the game.

Speris Legacy started as a side-on kind of game!

And I can't think of any more right now.
Old 15 June 2004, 12:01   #3
JudasEZT

AddamsFamily and a supposed second background scroller.

Also, AdidasChampionshipFootball was supposed to be the football game with biggers players sprites in history,.. but they released another game totally different.

Im not sure but, in ChaseHQ screeshots were a helicopter,.. but I guess in Amiga/ST versions I played there isnt.

Last edited by JudasEZT; 15 June 2004 at 12:12.
Old 15 June 2004, 12:45   #4
ant512

The initial screenshots for Alien Breed 3D 2 used maps from the first game, and they looked fantastic. If only they'd kept them instead of creating the abomination the game turned into.

The first Breed 3D was released as a demo, which was completely different to the finished game. Different graphics, different enemies, different screen layout, etc.

An awful lot of magazines included screenshots from Elite 2: Frontier that were never included in the final game. There was a shot of Big Ben in particular that looks as if it was mocked up in a paint package, but was included in a variety of mags from different publishers.
Old 15 June 2004, 13:38   #5
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

The Chaos Engine was originally supposed to have 3 characters on screen.
Old 15 June 2004, 14:17   #6
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Virocop was supposed to have a small tank as player sprite instead of the robot of the final version.
Old 15 June 2004, 15:04   #7
cebulba

I bought DOGFIGHT by MICROPROSE because it was announced (in german printing magazine) to have a TWO-PLAYER Head to head "Dogfight" part...

and then I noticed it was not available in the AMIGA version...

Would have loved to "dagg,dagg,dagg" my best friend down

this was so disappointing that I placed it on the top of my shelves - where it still stands today
Old 15 June 2004, 19:00   #8
th4t1guy

In Worms, the characters were originally supposed to have glasses. That's what that little thing is that bounces around after you kill them.
Old 15 June 2004, 20:31   #9
Amiga1992

? I thought they were cluster bombs left for mayhem?
Old 15 June 2004, 20:56   #10
oldpx

Landmines

Old 16 June 2004, 02:31   #11
th4t1guy

Well, that's what Andy Davidson told me in #worms years back. If you look closely, you can see the glasses pop off the head briefly when you fire a bazooka.
Old 16 June 2004, 17:11   #12
Tim Janssen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Alien Breed 2 had very gory piccies that were removed later in the game.
Speris Legacy started as a side-on kind of game!
Have you got some scanned pictures of these WIP-games? I am really curious what the games would have looked like.

Has any of you actually played previews of the mentioned games? Lately I played the Dong-preview from an Amiga Format coverdisk. The game looked and sounded quite nice but only the boring gameplay has been retained in the final game.
Old 16 June 2004, 17:54   #13
JudasEZT

sorry if this is a little off-topic, but..

can you get this weapon?? I never seen it.

Old 17 June 2004, 00:59   #14
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah you can, in fact you can get a weapon that fires in all 8 directions (including backwards), just shoot at the item box for AGES. and I mean f-ing ages. It'll turn into a star! Grab it!
Old 17 June 2004, 04:05   #15
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

You need to shoot it EXACTLY 50 times. 51 and it's gone. Grab the star like KG said and enjoy

I don't think a game has undergone more of a change than Syndicate! It was almost a completely different game when it was first conceived! (It turned out fab, though.)
Old 17 June 2004, 17:49   #16
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Janssen
Throughout the years many games have appeared in which the final product looked (drastically) different from the previews. Examples I can think of are Donk (different main sprite, baddies and music), Lemmings 2 (no zoom-in/zoom-out mode in final game), Disposable Hero (different level lay-out) and The Blues Brothers (different baddie-sprites and level lay-out).
I discuss to include this kind of thing in the forthcoming aGTW site.
Even if it's not strictly related to "games that weren't" it's another interesting bit to see for any respectable amiga fan...

However, some other examples:

F1 Challenge: real sponsors painted on the signs
Overdrive: diagonal tracks (and not only the 90° or 180° turns)
Fire and Ice, Lethal Weapon: different main sprite
Jaguar (Core), Puggsy, Outrun Europa: the graphics was totally redesigned
Old 18 June 2004, 19:13   #17
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Nice thread Tim.
Going off some old recollections, but recall a couple of Preview articles mostly from The One.
In one of the first "game diary" entries of Alien Breed II, a mention was made of the AGA version sporting a "sprite playfield" amongst the tech ideas, subsequently dropped. Ditto also was a mention of a possible driving section moving from one part of the colony base to another ala Aliens.

Cannon Fodder was originally talked about being a more RPGish approach to the soldier characters in terms of individual abilities etc.,but as discussed later by Jon Hare in an interview/preview, the idea was dropped for the subsequently more simple to control design in the finished game.

Btw, Akira, if I recall, I think those Uridium II sequence was an overhead perspective, & was made mention of in the first couple of diary entries of Andy Braybrook,(with mockups). And of course there was the infamous "controversial" dual-playfield version which he got up & running, but looked dull in static photographs being 16 colours,as opposed to the 32 colour non-playfield version.

If I also recall in a WIP of Kid Chaos (?), they dropped the original main character sprite,(I think at the behest of Ocean, was it?), & replaced it with the Caveman-like character wearing the jumper-ironically a source of criticism in the subsequent review!

Last edited by 7-Zark-7; 18 June 2004 at 19:15. Reason: Think I stuffed up name, cant recall title being Kid Chaos or Kid Viscious.
Old 24 June 2004, 18:04   #18
IFW

I think I remember Revelation being fairly different in a demo from the retail game, like the story of opening a safe instead of a simple puzzle game, gfx changes etc.
Old 03 November 2007, 21:01   #19
s2325
Zone Friend

screenshot from Walker:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walker.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	15160  
Old 03 November 2007, 22:04   #20
Graham Humphrey