English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Does computers evolve slower then before?
Yes 55 80.88%
No 10 14.71%
They evolve at pretty much the same pace, from the beginning 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 July 2021, 09:48   #161
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I also loved Quake 3 Arena a lot.
Then I discovered Unreal Tournament 2004, and I think it outshines it in pretty much every aspect.
Very unfair comparison:

UT2004 is not a Quake game
UT2004 came out five years later after Q3A
UT2004 is trailing, playing catch-up

Besides that, UT2004 may have similar shader effects that Q3A does (which is what makes those graphics so awesome for 1999) but they're too little, too late. I'm also not a fan of UT in general and certainly not ragdolls, which are much worse than Q3A/UT's gibbings.
Old 17 July 2021, 12:34   #162
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Try playing campaign of first Call of Duty (2003), and you will see that it doesn't borrow any "patterns" from Quake and Doom. Vastly different, yet much better, modern, much more realistic experience, imho.
It's in WW2 setting, and it can be considered as a retro game today.
You mean this one?

ETA just in case it wasn't clear:- yes, these are my games, and yes that is a price sticker for NZ$129 on Unreal Tournament. I'm thinking I might sell the lot on Trade Me. How much do you think I could get for them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	games.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	72559  

Last edited by Bruce Abbott; 17 July 2021 at 16:55.
Old 17 July 2021, 15:38   #163
Foebane
Banned

I DESPISE Call of Duty, and yes, I have tried one of them and hated it, and I hate how it's total lack of originality and only slight changes in multiple releases has tarnished the reputation of FPS games.
Old 17 July 2021, 22:35   #164
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
You mean this one?
Lol.
I am pretty sure you know I didn't meant that game.
Although, I must say, Medal of Honor is a pretty good game, and I really enjoyed it.. but when when first COD appeared, and I tried it, it just tops everything I played before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I DESPISE Call of Duty, and yes, I have tried one of them and hated it, and I hate how it's total lack of originality and only slight changes in multiple releases has tarnished the reputation of FPS games.
It's ok man.
Why so strong emotions? Why hate?
It's just a freaking game, that you either like it, or not.

I don't know how later COD's are (yeah, I've heard they are pretty bad), but the first one, and the expansion, they were brilliant ww2 fps games for me, and still is.
They had everything... from very interesting tutorial, great graphics and effects (for the time (some effects still holds)), amazing story and campaign, and awesome gameplay.
Old 17 July 2021, 22:51   #165
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
It's ok man.
Why so strong emotions? Why hate?
It's just a freaking game, that you either like it, or not.

I don't know how later COD's are (yeah, I've heard they are pretty bad), but the first one, and the expansion, they were brilliant ww2 fps games for me, and still is.
They had everything... from very interesting tutorial, great graphics and effects (for the time (some effects still holds)), amazing story and campaign, and awesome gameplay.
I've also never been a fan of WW2 FPS games, ever. In fact, the only FPS franchise I have never touched apart from a couple of games has been Wolfenstein, I just hate how it portrays Nazism as having succeeded and having ridiculous things like mecha robots, magic powers, etc. Sounds to me like the developers of these particular games WANT Nazism to rise again.
Old 17 July 2021, 23:27   #166
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Very unfair comparison:
Ohh.. I forgot about this.
I thought we were picking best MP ever... not counting the year of release.
My bad.
But still, for me, the best MP game ever is UT2004.
I tried the new UT.. and didn't like it at all.. not even graphics... those baked maps, with a lot of dirt in UT2004, still looks better to me, then shiny, reflective, hospital like, SciFi metal parts in new UT.
Gameplay is very similar.. but there is a few fps drops in new UT, that also screws up the feeing... and man... the Flack cannon... It was best in UT2004.

And a little bit of trivia now:
When I worked at local TV, we played UT2004 non stop (at least 1 hour per day), for 2-3 years, and it was never less then 4-5 of us...
And in UT2004, once in a while (when you gather enough adrenaline pills), you can pull off combo and become invisible, for a short period of time... well... not exactly invisible.. but something exactly like Predator invisibility.. like shifting background...
Now, after a few months, I realized one of the collogues had no trouble shooting us, when we were invisible... I know he didn't cheated, neither he knows how to do that (we showed him this game).
Then, on a totally different occasion, the guy told me he is color blind.
So I was... shit man.. that's why you managed to kills us invisible all the time?
He was like.. hmm.. that's a good point...
Old 20 July 2021, 14:44   #167
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Absolutely! It was exciting. And I played a lot of Team Fortress in the late 90s on my CSPPC Amiga.
But that's 20 years ago! Nobody is playing it, since many many years. And even if I would find a group of players, the game looks pretty ugly by todays standards. There are much more exciting multiplayer games today. I wouldn't waste my time with it any longer.
I would say ALL AMIGA GAMES LOOK UGLY by today's standards, too! Don't generalise like that. How flaming DARE you, in fact?!?