English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 27 February 2010, 00:22   #1
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Deletion of Users Comments and Threads

Sensitive topic I know but I feel that this has to be said...

If a user chooses to leave the EAB Forum I say that their comments and threads should be preserved - in my opinion the user should not be able to leave and just delete the comments and threads they have created.

This forum could lose a lot of very valuable Amiga information unless this is addressed.

I cant be on my own here, no one likes to see members leave, especially popular members but it is the AMIGA Computer that should be the main focus here.

Can this please be addressed.
Old 27 February 2010, 00:40   #2
Allen1

That does sound like a sensible thing to do maybe after a month or so, the post could then be made permanent which would allow a poster the opportunity to tidy up its content if they so wished before it truly became permanent.
Old 27 February 2010, 00:50   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Deleting all your posts amounts to sabotage and appropriate safeguards should be considered a necessary precaution.
Old 27 February 2010, 01:10   #4
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Yes something should be done

but is`t anything I type my property, as ever playing devils advocate
Old 27 February 2010, 01:11   #5
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

as i mentioned in the other thread, one favoured option is to allow editing / deleting of posts only with a time limit - the length of such a limit would be up to the staff here, but i feel a few hours (maybe up to 6?) is a good enough length of time to allow genuine corrections/additions to a post to happen.

not only does this prevent people leaving big gaps in the board, it also forces members to take responsibilty for their words... a similar thing happened on another forum i've helped on, where one user deleted all his posts which had lead to his banning, and he also deleted a bunch of other posts where he had shown his own general ignorance. (including killing some threads due to being the first poster)... its frustrating to read, because often the threads make little/no sense without those posts being there.
Old 27 February 2010, 01:18   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
but is`t anything I type my property, as ever playing devils advocate
Could be, but once your comments are posted here, then surely they are in the public domain.
Old 27 February 2010, 12:24   #7
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I would think that it must be something other forums have addressed - I would imagine that it would have to be part of the terms and conditions that you would have to agree to and tick before you could register on the forum.
Old 27 February 2010, 16:06   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

When -Rob- left, he deleted all of his posts. Then posts were 'locked' (no editing or deleting them) after some days. After that some people complained about that and it was enabled again.
I think if someone decides to delete all of their posts before they go, that should be okay (even if it leaves a mess in a lot of threads). I have no idea why Cammy left, but we should respect her decision to delete her posts.
Old 27 February 2010, 16:22   #9
skateblind
Village Idiot

Why delete everything though? It ruins the whole board especially if the person deleting the posts had been around a while. Imagine in a year or two when a few more people do the same thing, certain threads will be a complete mess and incomprehensible. I see no sensible reason to delete every single one of your own posts, other than immaturity or spitefulness and I do include cammy in this category until I hear a good explanation concerning her reasoning.

I hope the rules get changed so that you have no more than a week maximum to edit or delete anything you have posted.
Old 27 February 2010, 16:27   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
I hope the rules get changed so that you have no more than a week maximum to edit or delete anything you have posted.
If you have any lists in your first post that you would like to update, that's a bit annoying to ask a mod/GM each time to do that (ask andreas ). I see your point skatey, but I still think that people should have the 'right' to do whatever they want with their posts (even if it seems quite childish...).
Old 27 February 2010, 16:41   #11
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
Although i dont really know what has gone on i do think that a user should not be able to delete everything they have posted especially usefull information that contributes to the site after all you join a community on line and are sharing with that community so to delete it all when you go seems a bit odd, but as i said i dont know the surrounding circumstances but just wanted to put my 2p in

i know on a car forum where i am a moderator members who leave or are banned dont have an option to withdraw there threads etc as said it is needed info for the site

Chris
Old 27 February 2010, 16:51   #12
clueless
Guessing my way round

Isn't it possible for a mod or admin to have the final say? You can request to delete them, and info can be copied or edited by someone. More work I know, but how often does this happen?
Old 27 February 2010, 16:56   #13
Graham Humphrey

This sort of thing (users going off and deleting their posts) has probably happened two or three times, ever, so I think introducing a limit on how long posts can be edited for is a bit OTT. And not totally practical for people who for whatever reason need to update posts regularly (i.e. like the Super League threads - I know I run them but that's not the point I'm making here). Also I really don't want to spend my days having to edit other peoples' posts for them because they want to update something a few weeks down the line.
Old 27 February 2010, 17:02   #14
kriz

Time limited edit is the way i think, it destroys the forum when people delete stuff !!
Old 27 February 2010, 17:10   #15
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
This sort of thing (users going off and deleting their posts) has probably happened two or three times, ever, so I think introducing a limit on how long posts can be edited for is a bit OTT. And not totally practical for people who for whatever reason need to update posts regularly (i.e. like the Super League threads - I know I run them but that's not the point I'm making here). Also I really don't want to spend my days having to edit other peoples' posts for them because they want to update something a few weeks down the line.
Say you and TCD delete your posts, that is only 2 people, but it would total more than 20,000 posts and it would really mess up a LOT of threads. I know that scenario is highly unlikely, but cammy must have had a lot of posts as well and some of them would have had valuable information in for other users.
Old 27 February 2010, 17:20   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Deleting my precious posts? How dare you...
Like Graham said it's unlikely that it happens regularly and even if two quite valuable members did it now, the fussiness to edit posts should be more important. There is this saying about using a sledge-hammer to crack a nut...
Old 01 March 2010, 05:33   #17
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I think that if a user wants to leave and the remove all trace of them ever being here then they should have the right to do so, regardless if they chose to share their reasons or not.

so we lose info thats your/my fault for not copying while we had the chance, (any one have a HD crash)

Yes it dose make the place look untidy, though we have mods to keep the place tidy by editing posts and what not

I also think it was childish closing the original thread about cammy, now if we hear any news guess what new thread time, also where do we post words of wisdom and good will to her?? sorry but to be honest most of the time I really don`t get why some threads are closed
Old 01 March 2010, 07:56   #18
Graham Humphrey

I'm sorry - 'childish'? So constant speculation about somebody's personal circumstances on a public forum is perfectly okay is it?

If you would like to pass on words of goodwill etc then I am sure you are all capable of contacting her and passing on messages privately.
Old 01 March 2010, 08:24   #19
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

So, since it is allowed, could some mod please explain why I got banned sometime back for doing exactly that? Seems like different rules for different people.
Old 01 March 2010, 09:37   #20
mihcael
Zone Friend

Its not good for the forum but i think people should be able to delete there own posts, however meaningless the act may be!

If something is so important not to be lost, it should be preserved in a more meaniful manner. (wiki or knowledgebase?)