English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 21 June 2019, 19:44   #1
meltdown

Quiet in 'ere...

innit?! ....

Who's on here from way back...?! ... would be good to reminisce lol..

cheers...

>Frostbyte/Freestyle UK< - >Meltdown/Ecstasy<
Old 21 June 2019, 23:39   #2
meltdown

k k.... that quiet eh........
Old 22 June 2019, 11:23   #3
mik3d3nch

Hi Meltdown! It was the description of this forum that put me off - 'This section is dedicated for all amiga retrogamer's memories.'- because I don't play games, almost never.

Did when I got my Ami 1000 in 86, played Marble Madness, Bomb Jack and Lost Vikings but that was that. Once encountered a game I really liked on the Atari 800 but cant recall the name or much else. It was a platformer and the point was to get safely from top to bottom by arranging springs, planks, stuff to enable your ball to negotiate past all the traps.

God I'd give anything to have that old 1000 back with my peripherals and software. I did more useful creative work in the five years or so that I had it, than I've done since on PC's and its really only been in the last 5 years or so that PC software plus the machines themselves, that have had the power and utility of that old Amiga.

I really never took to the later models, I got a 2000 but it was rather disappointing and went belly up in less than a year anyway. I wish I had a 3D printer and the know how to duplicate an Amiga 1000 because I'd do it like a shot.

My other retro love is the 48k Sinclair Spectrum and the far better TS2068 I had to get to replace my Speccy when I came to the US. Between the Ami 1000 and my TS2068 which I still use now (emulated) I was as happy as could be. Used the Speccy for a bit of Basic and having just bought the Amiga Forever Plus package I can get back to doing artwork and music once more.

Lets be fair though, I'm grateful for the way PC's have become so powerful and capable even if its being used to emulate older machines that had much better software. I think thats the real 'secret' to the retros rebirth, its not just nostalgia, I must have tried most of the paint and animation programs for PC and they simply arent as good or intuitive as DPaint 3 which does everything I'll ever want and makes it easy and produces small files (by comparison).

To this day its been my experience that shareware or freeware is much better than paid for stuff, I actually discovered the existence of WINUAE thanks to a YouTube video plugging AMOS2 and asking around the forums about it was told to come here, read the messages and decide which way to go, hence my buying the Amiga Forever package.

Well Meltdown that should give you a reply to read, mate!

Last edited by mik3d3nch; 22 June 2019 at 14:11.
Old 03 July 2019, 02:45   #4
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quiet?

In the days of faceache and discourse or whatever it is, this is possibly THE most active forum I'm a member of.

Great discussions from all over the world, almost every day.

Living in Australia, I get to spam it while most of you sleep too

You'll find my threads on here which detail my Amiga love from waaaaay back in 89, so no point going over old ground again.

But yeah, I think mik3dnch has a good point. It's thanks to powerful PC's (and I'd argue, YouTube et al) that are to blame/thank for the resurgence of retro computing.

For me, if I were to plot back my return to the amiga, it would be
1) listening to music from the era for a nostalgia hit;
2) Stumbling on Amiga games music, and taking a nostalgia punch to the face from it;
3) "Algorithms" going "oh you like Amiga stuff hey?", leading me to;
4) Videos about the history of Amiga from Dan Wood and Nostalgia Nerd;
5) Trying WinUAE off the back of more vidoes;
6) Buying Amiga forever off the back of Dan Wood's videos on the topic, and the knowledge that the DVD version came with the history videos;
7) ebay....and the re-purchase of an A500 Batman Pack in box......

....but as I said...that's another story
Old 03 July 2019, 11:57   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Faceache. Taking a nostalgia punch to the face. There is an idea for a website in there.
Old 04 July 2019, 05:30   #6
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Quiet?
I figured that the guy was drunk, and he wanted to chat, but no one was there at the moment, and he got impression it's too quiet here.

Nothing wrong with that, of course (could happen to me also)...just saying.
Old 04 July 2019, 05:34   #7
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I figured that the guy was drunk, and he wanted to chat, but no one was there at the moment, and he got impression it's too quiet here.

Nothing wrong with that, of course (could happen to me also)...just saying.
Ah yeah maybe.
I first thought he must be an old time member seeing who else is still kicking around the forums, but then I looked at "number of posts" and it didn't add up.
Old 04 July 2019, 12:51   #8
DamienD
Banned

meltdown did also create an almost identical thread the day after this one: old sckool sceners...