English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 16 July 2009, 15:14   #1
Nerbflong

F-Basic! Needed!

Recently I've picked up an Amiga 4000 and started poking around my old files for a game a few friends and I made back in 1990-93 on our trusty 500's (that have long since departed) and we found a lot of graphics and updates for the game we made that never were released!

The game itself was released back in 92 sortof.. issues with the distributor and Commodore's folding in the US didn't help us any.. So we started revamping the game per requests.. just never got around to finishing it sadly.

What game? Schelober's Quest for a Babe! I doubt most have even heard about it lol. It is listed at the Hall of Light! (yay!)

Well, anyways, there are a better graphic sets for the monsters, Schelober and the world graphics blocks I'd like to update and re-release the game with, including some expanded levels/maps with some interesting puzzles.

In order to do this I need F-basic. My copy of F-basic is corrupted on the HD, and I no longer have the original floppies! (Luckily, most of the graphics and maps that were corrupted had duplicates on backup disks that aren't too out of date!)

So my plea goes out to you, begging to see if anyone has an adf set of the disks! I'd really like to redo the game, release it to the public for free and at least let others see the additional hard work we've put into the game.

I also want to try and clean up the hard drive installer and the game so when exiting it doesn't just guru on faster 680xx machines.

I hope someone here can help! Please! I'd love to see the game 'finished' as much as possible with what's here.

Nerbflong (aka Dave (haha, which Dave?))

Old 16 July 2009, 15:22   #2
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

I thought I had/have every BASIC ever made for Amiga... but I don't have that one. I can't even remember that one? Does it have another name? Have I gone Alzheimers? *scratching head*
Old 16 July 2009, 15:59   #3
Nerbflong

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrategyGamer View Post
I thought I had/have every BASIC ever made for Amiga... but I don't have that one. I can't even remember that one? Does it have another name? Have I gone Alzheimers? *scratching head*

It's pretty obscure.. I didn't know anyone using it at the time.. In fact, I think I used Version2.0, and just now see they made it to 5!! I went with F-basic because at the time, it was one of the fastest/cheapest basic like languages I could find.

http://amr.abime.net/issue_1717_pages

See page 4

Made by Delphi Noetic Systems.. I'm almost positive I wrote the game in version 2.. But would love to get copies of 2 and 5 to see if the game does better with a newer version.

Old 17 July 2009, 00:35   #4
hit

found a zoo archive called FBASIC.ZOO in the BoilerRoom archive. cant find any version number, but worth a try. have a look into the zone (http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=vb_...ezone_faq_item)
Old 17 July 2009, 03:32   #5
Nerbflong

zoo archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit View Post
found a zoo archive called FBASIC.ZOO in the BoilerRoom archive. cant find any version number, but worth a try. have a look into the zone (http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=vb_...ezone_faq_item)
Thanks for finding this! It is indeed Fbasic; though I believe its version one, or a trial copy as its missing all the link libraries and is smaller then the corrupt one I have at 209,352 bytes.

The search goes on!

Old 17 July 2009, 17:20   #6
hit

well, at least "something". wasnt that popular, it seems.
cant find any further files, just an announcement of 5.0 from 1993 ( http://www.memphisamigagroup.net/dis...oRead/5min5-10 ).
found an src file on fish-0832.dms . tried to compile but its missing includes from f-basic system disk. too bad.
Old 22 July 2009, 21:21   #7
Nerbflong

Still looking

Still looking for any copy of F-basic at this point. Googled Delphi's address, got a number but wasn't them. No surprise, its been so long.

Old 24 July 2009, 21:41   #8
hit

i had no luck, searching for it. one copy of v5.0 must exists - a now invalid ebay auction:
Quote:
eBay.ca : F-Basic Compiler V5.0 for Commodore Amiga objet ... - [ Translate this page ]
F-Basic System (BASIC compiler, editor, and debugger) for the Amiga computer, by Delphi Noetic Systems, Inc. Version 5.0. Includes original 3.5" disk and ...
--
hxxp://cgi.cafr.ebay.ca/F-Basic-Compiler-V5-0-for-Commodore-Amiga_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ260386418390
the adress was this one: Delphi Noetic Systems, PO Box 7722, Rapid City, South. Dakota 57709 ?

Last edited by hit; 24 July 2009 at 21:47.
Old 25 July 2009, 13:28   #9
Nerbflong

Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit View Post
i had no luck, searching for it. one copy of v5.0 must exists - a now invalid ebay auction:

the adress was this one: Delphi Noetic Systems, PO Box 7722, Rapid City, South. Dakota 57709 ?

Thats the one, same address, the phone number listed.. Wrong place on the other end.

I have an F-Basic search saved on ebay, so I'm hoping!!

Old 25 July 2009, 18:44   #10
hit

oh, ok, good luck
Old 22 October 2009, 20:54   #11
ksangeelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerbflong View Post
In order to do this I need F-basic. My copy of F-basic is corrupted on the HD, and I no longer have the original floppies! (Luckily, most of the graphics and maps that were corrupted had duplicates on backup disks that aren't too out of date!)

So my plea goes out to you, begging to see if anyone has an adf set of the disks! I'd really like to redo the game, release it to the public for free and at least let others see the additional hard work we've put into the game.
Hi, I have a copy of F-Basic including the original printed manual. E-mail me kevin at susa dot net and I can arrange to forward it on to you.

Cheers,

Kevin

Old 27 October 2009, 18:07   #12
christianlucio

Red face F-Basic for all ?

Hi Kevin,would it be possible to put it also in the zone ? This would be great. Is there also a digital version of the manual ?
Old 27 October 2009, 20:06   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Smile

Quote:
we found a lot of graphics and updates for the game we made that never were released!
What game? Schelober's Quest for a Babe! I doubt most have even heard about it lol. It is listed at the Hall of Light! (yay!)
You bet it is; that's because *I* put it in
It doesn't take long to realize that the game is a bit over-sized to be "offended" by calling it "PD", so it was obvious it was planned to be commercial

We are not going to fill up HOL with *each & every* ugly PD crap ever made, but for games at this solid product quality we do not hesitate to make exceptions!
Nice to see your "Amiga flame" rekindled
Looking forward to checking out the final product someday!

Last edited by andreas; 01 November 2009 at 20:17.
Old 31 October 2009, 20:19   #14
hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksangeelee View Post
Hi, I have a copy of F-Basic including the original printed manual. E-mail me kevin at susa dot net and I can arrange to forward it on to you.

Cheers,

Kevin
welcome & thnx for joining. i hope Nerbflong is watching this topic and will answer soon. dont trash it, if it takes a bit longer.
Old 06 June 2012, 13:06   #15
Yarc

F-Basic

Hi,

I used to own an Amiga500, bought it pretty much when it came out in the 80's. What a great machine, but alas I know longer own it. In recent times have been wishing I still had an Amiga and therefore just bought an Amiga1200 off e-bay. I'm very Amiga rusty, having been trapped in the PC world for so long.

I've started to remember things I had on my A500 and remember having the F-Basic programming language. Not been able to find it anywhere and wondering if anybody has a copy they could turn into ADF disks? I remember I had version 5, which I think is the last version produced by the company Delphi Noetic systems. I also remember it produced very fast code, being a compiled language. It's possibly not as well known as the other languages, but was certainly very good. I would love to tinker with it again. I also tinkered with AMOS which I have as ADF images and can put on my real Ami.

Cheers,

Yarc
Old 06 June 2012, 21:54   #16
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Yarc,

I have the FBASIC.ZOO file originally uploaded by hit.

I'll upload it to The Zone for you, so you can take a look at it.
Old 07 June 2012, 10:45   #17
Yarc

F-Basic

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Yarc,

I have the FBASIC.ZOO file originally uploaded by hit.

I'll upload it to The Zone for you, so you can take a look at it.
Oh thanks! That's really great.
Old 07 June 2012, 15:53   #18
Etze
A3000-Fan

Quote:
It's pretty obscure.. I didn't know anyone using it at the time.. In fact, I think I used Version2.0, and just now see they made it to 5!! I went with F-basic because at the time, it was one of the fastest/cheapest basic like languages I could find.

http://amr.abime.net/issue_1717_pages

See page 4
I never heard of F-Basic and I would really like to get hold of an image of Version 5. It sounds like a decent Basic-Environment.
Old 07 June 2012, 16:32   #19
Yarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
I never heard of F-Basic and I would really like to get hold of an image of Version 5. It sounds like a decent Basic-Environment.
It was a long time ago when I tinkered with it, but my experience was that it was a very good compiler. I bought the first version and upgraded all the way to version 5, so must have been impressed.

I've downloaded the zoo file Prowler put in the Zone, but unfortunately don't have any documentation. I must have got rid of it when I parted with my A500 years ago. Can't find anything on the net, so looks like it's gone into obscurity.

Alas, I can't remember how to use it, damn! I'll have to tinker with C/C++ now which is fine by me of course, and SASC is a good package.
Old 27 April 2014, 18:33   #20
emufan

i guess I have something for you fellows. on the just arrived SGT BBS CD images i've found:
F-Basic_v5.0.dms
F-Basic_v1.1.dms
both with all the files required, which were missing on the first disk.
take a look into the zone or later search on the eab ftp.

Last edited by emufan; 27 April 2014 at 19:09.