English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 21 September 2021, 13:29   #1
Misko78

Amiga 500 Rev.3 1MB ChipRAM mod

Hello everyone,

I have Rev. 3 board and i can not find mod how to enable 1MB chipram anywhere. I'm aware that i first need to get 8372 Agnus but does anyone know how to do all the rest?
Old 21 September 2021, 14:02   #2
Jope
-

JP2 and JP7 will involve you cutting traces on the motherboard. JP2 will additionally require one jump wire.

If at all possible, I recommend trying to get a rev 6 instead.
Old 21 September 2021, 15:01   #3
Misko78

I'm desperately trying to find rev. 6, no luck so far. Can't find any Amiga here in Serbia, i was looking to get one for more than two years, and founds this rev. 3, it is very early production week 18 1987. I got it in chicken lips case, every thing is in beautiful shape, original parts, except hi-tek keyboard. I'm very hesitant to do this mod on it, but it is very hard for me to find another, mod friendly one.

Old 21 September 2021, 22:25   #4
SukkoPera
Mighty Pirate

Please don't r*pe that beauty. It deserves to stay as it is. Keep an eye on here, A500s are often up for sale.
Old 22 September 2021, 22:25   #5
Misko78

I guess you are right. Thing is that i can't risk buying abroad, we have some f****d up customs system here in Serbia, concerning the used stuff bought from other people and shipments from China. Well at least they believe invoices from companies based in EU, US and Japan. Sometimes you just get the package no fee, no VAT, but sometimes when a rocket scientist customs officer decides to inspect your package it can be painful. He usually do not look at the invoice, proof of purchase or whatsoever etc. but does the evaluation by checking ebay and ofcourse he will find the highest value, other rocket scientist who believes that his Amiga is worth 700€ and charge you with 20% VAT and 10% customs fee. The risk i'm not willing to take.

Back to the topic, i will try to get the rev.6A board, replace the one i have, and store rev.3 safe.
Old 04 October 2021, 00:59   #6
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misko78 View Post
I guess you are right. Thing is that i can't risk buying abroad, we have some f****d up customs system here in Serbia, concerning the used stuff bought from other people and shipments from China. Well at least they believe invoices from companies based in EU, US and Japan. Sometimes you just get the package no fee, no VAT, but sometimes when a rocket scientist customs officer decides to inspect your package it can be painful. He usually do not look at the invoice, proof of purchase or whatsoever etc. but does the evaluation by checking ebay and ofcourse he will find the highest value, other rocket scientist who believes that his Amiga is worth 700€ and charge you with 20% VAT and 10% customs fee. The risk i'm not willing to take.

Back to the topic, i will try to get the rev.6A board, replace the one i have, and store rev.3 safe.
Could always try to take a vacation to nearby EU country and pick one up there (either buy there and grab on trip or have it shipped to friend there and pick it up on your trip -- got any friends in Croatia?)

But yeah rev 3 boards are somewhat rare. Rev 5 is most common in NTSC and 6a is most common in PAL. 6a is nice because it has spots already on the motherboard where you can solder in sockets to add the chips directly so you can keep the trap door slot open for some other interesting expansion or just add some ranger memory.
Old 04 October 2021, 08:18   #7
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
so you can keep the trap door slot open for some other interesting expansion or just add some ranger memory.
It's not so simple if you make the decision to fill the sockets on the motherboard, unfortunately.