English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 August 2021, 20:21   #101
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
but still.. why not just simply name: mini Amiga?
Because that would sound strange. To the rest of the world, "Amiga" doesn't mean "Computer".
Old 12 August 2021, 21:08   #102
sokolovic

Quote:
Yeah, I know, and assumed all that... but still.. why not just simply name: mini Amiga?
And what if they want to sell mini A1200 in the future?
This is, sort of, shoot in the leg.

I am not bothered, nor I care, nor I am person that insist on technical stuff....
It's just looks to me.. like you create mini Snes, and then, in it's library, you put some Nintendo 64 games.
We can argue if AGA is big or small step forward, but it's still next generation Amiga.
You do have Super CDrom games on the Coregrafx mini but anyway, A1200 is still an Amiga, with the same OS and the same global architecture, the N64 isn't a SNES, they just share the Nintendo name. Differences between computer and consoles IMHO.
Old 12 August 2021, 21:43   #103
spudje

Quote:
why not just simply name: mini Amiga?
Well, I'm pretty sure it's related to all the legal shit going on. It is most likely a relative safe bet to license the OS from Cloanto, as that's what Cloanto's has been doing for years already, also for TheC64 iirc. But using the Amiga brandname/trademark is still tricky I guess.
Old 12 August 2021, 21:55   #104
number6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure it's related to all the legal shit going on. It is most likely a relative safe bet to license the OS from Cloanto, as that's what Cloanto's has been doing for years already, also for TheC64 iirc. But using the Amiga brandname/trademark is still tricky I guess.
Long time no see. This is likely new since last you checked in.

Official trademark registration for Amiga to Amiga Corporation

also a timeline which should be easy to follow

Old 13 August 2021, 15:36   #105
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by towd View Post

how was the keyboard on the full size unit? any idea?
You NEED this video below, about 2 minutes into the video. The comparison of a real C64 (full retail UK packaging in mint condition) and a recently unboxed theC64 full size.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 August 2021, 15:53   #106
ImmortalA1000

Hmm well I don't really care about the copyright shenanigans to be honest so it comes down to price, about 50% more than theC64 mini was, and what it can do.

There is one aspect people forget, difficulties loading lame cracks on an SD2IEC on a real C64 vs theC64 fullsize is not an issue for the Amiga. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't every ADF crack work as successfully on Gotek connected to a real Amiga vs emulators?

They are up front about it being a mini, you either think that fits your requirements or it doesn't. I did hear it will support WHDload games too but a full size machine that does ADF/WHDload/CD ISOs I will be interested in.

The only thing I found odd is the joypad....it really should come with the microswitched joystick which looks a lot like the Competition Pro 5000 a lot of us used with A500/1000/2000 (until I discovered the Zipstik of course lol). If they intend to support CD32 game ISO support then it does make sense...for Amiga computer releases which rarely support 2 button joysticks it's a bit odd.

My video of choice on the whole subject of A500mini, theC64 mini and theC64

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 August 2021, 16:00   #107
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
If they intend to support CD32 game ISO support then it does make sense...for Amiga computer releases which rarely support 2 button joysticks it's a bit odd.
I wouldn't say rarely. The list here is not as big as I would like it to be but it contains quite some popular titles. And it's not an exhaustive list because I've heard from a dependable source that Cadaver supports two buttons and that game is not in the list.
Old 13 August 2021, 16:20   #108
number6

@thread

Just a note to mention that the facebook account is active and the company is answering some questions.

examples and link

Old 13 August 2021, 16:25   #109
spudje

Quote:
Originally Posted by number6 View Post
Long time no see. This is likely new since last you checked in.

Official trademark registration for Amiga to Amiga Corporation

I know, but there's still law suits going on, so nothing final...
Old 13 August 2021, 17:09   #110
number6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
I know, but there's still law suits going on, so nothing final...
Heh. I thought you said you were not going to follow this any more?

But you are correct. The old Cloanto IP is not an issue. The use of "Amiga" despite the trademark registrations by Amiga Corporation...is.

Last edited by number6; 13 August 2021 at 17:10. Reason: changed not to "is" for clarity sake
Old 13 August 2021, 18:51   #111
number6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Oh really?

Well, firstly, utilising WHDLoad makes the end user experience so much easier, because now the inserting of 2nd disks etc, is all transparent and handled by WHDLoad.

However, if they are thinking of using WHDLoad, and using installs made by the guys that wrote the installs without payment....... that is not going to happen.

Just as Antstream realised the benefit of WHDLoad and the myriad of installs done by several of us, they paid for it.

For the people behind "TheA500" their contact better be forthcoming very soon.
Forgive my ignorance here.
The licensing director of Anstream is this fellow from Retro Games Ltd.
Quote:
Darren Melbourne – Co-creator of the C64DTV direct to TV C64 games console, and has held senior positions in many game development and publishing companies such as Square Enix and many more. Darren has extensive knowledge in game licensing and production.
Anstream reference to same name

Are you saying he's unaware of something?

Old 13 August 2021, 18:56   #112
RichL

Quote:
@thread

Just a note to mention that the facebook account is active and the company is answering some questions.

examples and link

This really pisses me off as I don’t ‘do’ Facebook. Am I missing much?
Old 13 August 2021, 18:59   #113
number6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
This really pisses me off as I don’t ‘do’ Facebook. Am I missing much?
Sorry. I gave a few examples in the Amigaworld link, but I have no time to read over 600 posts on facebook either.
Maybe someone else can post any relevant exchanges between posters and Retro Games?

Old 13 August 2021, 20:19   #114
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
I'm sure I'll get shot down in flames for saying this but... That statement might sound better coming from someone not proudly displaying a cracking group in their username, signature and avatar. Just a bit of self-awareness...
You missed an important factor - it would be hypocrisy if Galahad was selling cracks back in the day...

just saying...
Old 13 August 2021, 20:33   #115
RichL

Quote:
Sorry. I gave a few examples in the Amigaworld link, but I have no time to read over 600 posts on facebook either.
Maybe someone else can post any relevant exchanges between posters and Retro Games?

Thanks.
Old 13 August 2021, 21:50   #116
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
You missed an important factor - it would be hypocrisy if Galahad was selling cracks back in the day...

just saying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
However, if they are thinking of using WHDLoad, and using installs made by the guys that wrote the installs without payment....... that is not going to happen.

Just as Antstream realised the benefit of WHDLoad and the myriad of installs done by several of us, they paid for it.
The righteous indignation from self-described "Former member of: LSD, Razor 1911, Dual Crew Shining, Rednex, Fairlight" about possibly not being paid for a WHDLoad slave? There's no hypocrisy there, no? Well, sorry, I disagree.

And as an aside, of course there was no monetary profit but there's apparently still some reward to be had in terms of respect and kudos within the community for being a member of those groups given how prominently they're displayed.

Anyway, I've said my piece and I've clarified it. It's not like I'm hating on the guy because I do respect the contribution he makes, but that didn't sit comfortably with me. I'm not going to post a ridiculing gif at you because, as Dreadnaught said, it's not a straightforward issue. I understand many people - maybe even most, who knows? - will disagree with me and I can live with that.
Old 13 August 2021, 22:32   #117
RuySan

The lack of Commodore and Amiga branding is troubling. Part of the appeal of these devices is owning an official, cute, collectable item.
Old 13 August 2021, 23:04   #118
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuySan View Post
The lack of Commodore and Amiga branding is troubling. Part of the appeal of these devices is owning an official, cute, collectable item.
The latter is definitely self-inflicted by the litigious IP ownership fight - honestly i think the community should forget about 'Teh N6m3' and go on its own ways: this people is holding us hostage!
Old 14 August 2021, 03:08   #119
LoadWB
Derezzed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneckburger View Post
The only negative impact I can see is that it could reduce the demand & value of original hardware.
Did not happen with the THEC64 Mini/Maxi, and I seriously doubt it this will happen with the THEA500.
Old 14 August 2021, 13:32   #120
apex

Integrating WHDLoad is an fanatic idea we could happy about. Why? It may bring new slave programmer to the community. It will make the device really usable. I am promising an Amiga to my brother since ages. This would be the one I will buy for him, just because of WHDLoad. It is ok for wepl, so we should be just happy, maybe enjoying great games and demos soon on a nice tiny device, 100% wife compatible.