English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 November 2019, 00:30   #1
catphish

Support for real time floppy disk access

Does WinUAE support using a real drive in real-time as a floppy disk drive, or can one only use disk images?

If only the latter, does it access the image in real-time, or does it pre-convert the whole image to a virtual magnetic disk? If it's realtime, then it would probably not be a huge modification to achieve what I want.

My goal is to boot a game in an emulator from a real floppy disk (ADF format, USB mass storage presentation).

Thanks!

Last edited by catphish; 28 November 2019 at 00:45. Reason: Clarification
Old 28 November 2019, 08:40   #2
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by catphish View Post
ADF format, USB mass storage presentation
There is no such thing. PC floppy controllers are stuck to PC floppy format (720K or 1440K). They cannot access Amiga floppies (880K). You need custom controllers (non-mass storage) to read Amiga floppy disks.

There is direct access to Catweasel controllers in WinUAE for example. But you cannot boot from them.
Old 28 November 2019, 09:23   #3
superfrog

I think what catphish is asking is, when the emulator is accessing an ADF image, does it access it directly from the storage medium in real time as it being used by the virtual Amiga, or does the emulator load the entire ADF into RAM and only read/write the image using the copy in RAM?

It sounds to me like you are wanting to write out an ADF to a standard PC floppy disk and then use it from WinUAE while it is mounted in a USB floppy drive. Is that correct?
Old 28 November 2019, 09:28   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

This has been asked previously.

It is not possible because when emulator requests data from the drive, you don't get the data immediately but it has long delay and during that delay emulator must pause or trackloader would time out.. This is why disk images are pre-loaded at disk insert time.
Old 29 November 2019, 09:36   #5
catphish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It is not possible because when emulator requests data from the drive, you don't get the data immediately but it has long delay and during that delay emulator must pause or trackloader would time out.. This is why disk images are pre-loaded at disk insert time.
Thank you, I hadn't considered that this delay would be so problematic, but this makes sense. My drive is fast, but clearly not as fast as a real Amiga which streams the track as it is read.

Last edited by catphish; 29 November 2019 at 09:59.
Old 29 November 2019, 09:45   #6
catphish

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
It sounds to me like you are wanting to write out an ADF to a standard PC floppy disk and then use it from WinUAE while it is mounted in a USB floppy drive. Is that correct?
I suppose with mass storage the physical underlying disk format doesn't matter to the emulator, only the timing matters, but in my case, I am using real Amiga disks. My USB floppy drive knows how to read them.

Last edited by catphish; 29 November 2019 at 09:59.
Old 29 November 2019, 09:52   #7
catphish

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
There is no such thing.
I have one in my hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
There is direct access to Catweasel controllers in WinUAE for example. But you cannot boot from them.
This is interesting. My floppy drive can stream raw magnetic data too, so I may investigate integrating it this way instead in the future if WinUAE already has the framework to support this. I wonder why it can't boot this way. Obviously this approach requires more development work.

Last edited by catphish; 29 November 2019 at 09:58.
Old 30 December 2019, 21:41   #8
lesta_smsc

@catphish - just wondering how to assemble your hardware. Currently got a Greaseweazle set up (@kaffer project) which works great but always nice to have other options available.

I can see the code but not exactly sure whether you're using one of those USB FDD or PC floppy with SMT interface?

As a curious question, would there be any scope in making USB FDD read/write Amiga disks by somehow flashing the drive firmware? Eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Floppy-Exte.../dp/B00SWQ4G86

Also some preconfigured adaptors with onboard flash which if could be modified would be even more interesting! eg https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F193164648049
Old 31 December 2019, 00:12   #9
Misclegend
Banned

it would be fantastic a usb floppy drive where you can use real amiga floppies
in winuae

but Tony said is not possible for the delay of the data

what about creating a PCIE or USB floppy controller for winuae where you can connect a floppy drive then use amiga disks?

is this possible?
Old 05 June 2021, 21:31   #10
Tomislav

Arduino Amiga Floppy Disk Reader/Writer (go to 5:55)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 June 2021, 15:44   #11
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
Arduino Amiga Floppy Disk Reader/Writer (go to 5:55)

[ Show youtube player ]

looks like very unofficial WinUAE build - not sure if Toni was involved in this - but it looks quite tempting to be honest - last stand of real HW seem to be in danger...
Old 15 June 2021, 10:20   #12
Ponki1986

[ Show youtube player ]