English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 11 September 2014, 00:35   #1
ancalimon
Supernormal

Patching whdload games to run at NTSC without fast music?

Some games run better when set to NTSC with higher frame rates. But as we all know music plays faster.

Is there a way to redirect music to a different timer to let it play at pal rate?

I remember using tude to do this but it's been more than 10 years and I don't remember how. Besides would it work with whdload games if I use tude to tweak things first?
Old 11 September 2014, 06:05   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

If the game plays music via the VBL, you could simply count to 6 and skip calling mt_music every 6th frame. But you'd need the source to adapt the games like that.
Old 11 September 2014, 09:36   #3
Hewitson

What would be the point? If a game is designed to be run in NTSC then the odds are the music is supposed to be played at that speed.
Old 11 September 2014, 19:19   #4
endre1952

It would make some sense in emulation. Often you're stuck with a 60hz refresh rate. You'd like to have both smooth scrolling and music played at the correct rate.
Old 11 September 2014, 19:42   #5
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
What would be the point? If a game is designed to be run in NTSC then the odds are the music is supposed to be played at that speed.
Living in a PAL country you also would have tried running some games in NTSC mode. You might have realized that they run smoother at time where graphics chipset lags behind. I'm not talking about 60frames per second vs 50frames per second.

For example Lotus is such an example. Some levels run much smoother when playing on a ntsc screenmode. I have never played a ntsc version of a game but I'm guessing that the music in those ntsc versions does not play faster and they play at exactly the same tempo as PAL versions.

I'll try figuring out tude once again and report back here. From what I remember, I was able to set music to play at pal mode and set the graphics to display at ntsc mode at the same time. I remember there were two different settings for both pal and nts that could be configured separately.