English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 25 September 2014, 16:21   #81
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Very interesting insight, from mc6809e, indeed.
Old 25 September 2014, 18:12   #82
onkelarie

I have reported this thread as blasphemy!

I regret I didn't attend more parties back in de 80's/early 90's.... It really was the last computer which 'had a soul' and a vibrant community around it.
Old 27 September 2014, 11:58   #83
TMR

i think my biggest regret is that i didn't get more involved in development, i had a little input on a few games and demos (mostly graphics but occasionally i was "responsible" for what we'll have to call "music" until a better term is presented) but over half of what i did doesn't appear to be online and the disks i have don't work any more... the biggest project i did was the graphics and game design for Reaxion:

i had every intention of learning to code, but the C64 was still too big a draw for me at that time so it never happened.
Old 27 September 2014, 13:21   #84
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
i had every intention of learning to code, but the C64 was still too big a draw for me at that time so it never happened.
I still have that problem. The Amiga is clearly the better machine, but the C64 is so much more fun to code on.
Old 27 September 2014, 17:01   #85
Cyprian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc6809e View Post
It really is amazing how low they got the price and how quickly they developed it
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc6809e View Post
The purpose of the ST was to kill the Amiga and satisfy Tramiel's desire to punish Commodore, and it succeeded in the end.
interesting point of view but according to Marty Goldberg co-author of "Atari Inc. - Business Is Fun" and "Atari Corp. - Business Is War" books, both statements have no basis in reality:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic...art=25#p258936
Old 27 September 2014, 17:30   #86
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprian View Post
interesting point of view but according to Marty Goldberg co-author of "Atari Inc. - Business Is Fun" and "Atari Corp. - Business Is War" books, both statements have no basis in reality:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic...art=25#p258936
Hmm, what about this statement then:
Quote:
Tramiel countersued Amiga Corp. on August 13, 1984. He sought damages and an injunction to bar Amiga (and effectively Commodore) from producing anything with its technology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_S...dore_and_Amiga

The 'desire to punish Commodore' bit might be a bit much, but Tramiel surely knew what he was competing against (it wasn't primarily Japanese competitors) and how to gain an advantage (the price). Until the Amiga 500 was released that concept worked very well indeed.
Old 27 September 2014, 17:50   #87
mc6809e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Hmm, what about this statement then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_S...dore_and_Amiga

Quote:
Tramiel countersued Amiga Corp. on August 13, 1984. He sought damages and an injunction to bar Amiga (and effectively Commodore) from producing anything with its technology.
The 'desire to punish Commodore' bit might be a bit much, but Tramiel surely knew what he was competing against (it wasn't primarily Japanese competitors) and how to gain an advantage (the price). Until the Amiga 500 was released that concept worked very well indeed.
The lawsuit in '84 was terrible. It effectively halted development.

Can you imagine what the PC world would be like had the Amiga been released six months earlier and without competition from the ST?
Old 27 September 2014, 18:08   #88
Cyprian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Tramiel surely knew what he was competing against
as Marty Goldberg mentioned there is no such evidence. I have no idea, please ask him.

actually I'm waiting for releasing his book "Atari Corp. - Business Is War"
Old 27 September 2014, 18:12   #89
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
I regret they went bust, .
Old 27 September 2014, 18:38   #90
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprian View Post
as Marty Goldberg mentioned there is no such evidence. I have no idea, please ask him.
The lawsuit against Commodore is a fact, so there is clearly such evidence. I understand that people like to leave out information if it fits their point of view, but it's always good to know more, isn't it?
Old 28 September 2014, 18:20   #91
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

That it never had the chance of getting an 'Xcom: terror from the deep'
Old 28 September 2014, 20:33   #92
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

or a Deuteros sequel!
Old 29 September 2014, 01:37   #93
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Not so much what I regret about the Amiga...

... when I lost four members of my family in 1995 (all a few months apart of each other) I was extremely low and ended up in a relationship with a woman a few years older than me. Being naive at the time, she bled me dry and I sold all my Amiga stuff and games and much more in order to please her. Five years later, things got nasty when I finally spoke my mind and ended up in hospital after she threw a china dog ornament at me (in the kitchen) and needed I several stitches to my right hand* which I had raised to stop said ornament hitting my face. So in theory, you could say I was attacked by a bitch heh heh. Joking all apart, if things had been different, chances are, I would still had had my Amiga today. Fortunately, I'm happily married now with five kids, a dog and three cats (10 years now!). So who knows, good comes out of bad I guess.

So in a nutshell, I regret the circumstances that happened back then which made be part with my beloved Amiga collection.

* Ironically, the scar ended up in the shape of a "V". So that's a Victory for me in the end for getting out when I did.
Old 03 December 2014, 00:43   #94
ziovax

not being able to do the same after the Amiga 500, due to reckless choices and out of step with the times.
Old 03 December 2014, 03:56   #95
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

I'm just happy it exists. No point in lamenting what could've been. It's done.

It's strange though. What this computer means to me goes beyond words. You could never explain this to an outsider, lest you be perceived to be crazy. I'm glad all of you get it though
Old 03 December 2014, 05:13   #96
Knight94

The only regret I have is taking a leave and selling most of my amiga stuff back in 2002.

But I will never forget. The 1200 was the first computer I ever bought. Just turned 16 at the time. Spent $677 for an a1200 with a 40mb HD. Then a few months later bought a 1942 monitor.

But now My amiga collection is growing and I am like a kid again.

And yes, my wife thinks I'm weird. Haha
Old 03 December 2014, 15:44   #97
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Why konami never made games for the amiga !!!!
Think about what this crazy team could have done with the amiga power !!!
When i see what they did on the msx, it's just drives me crazy they didn't try to make a game on the amiga.
Old 08 December 2014, 22:21   #98
Saghalie

My biggest regret about the Amiga is not getting more involved in the community. I had the chance though... I was approached by someone from Bluemoon (not the company) at least I think that was the name, blue something anyway. It was a users group and they wanted to go "public" with PD games and software. They found a little program I wrote and thought that I would be a great asset - but alas, I was busy with a new family and working in the U.S. Coast Guard so I decided not to pursue it.

I regret that decision even though they didn't really get off the ground floor. I think they still have a web site around here somewhere for ftp downloads (CDs only).

Although I have moved on to a Windows 7 box, I still have my Amiga around (in the form of WinUAE) and am playing with it daily - I've wrote a lot of programs for myself and sometimes wish that Commodore didn't go bankrupt because they had a great machine and wasted it.

Thanks for listening.

Saghalie
http://www.kcmhosting.com
Old 08 December 2014, 23:12   #99
dex
Eat Electric Death

No regrets!

Except one big thing that is not really a "regret" but bugging me for years - it's that some of the greatest games, unique to the Amiga, with an art style never again seen - such as the grand original Shadow of the Beast trilogy - were so unnecessary, unnecessary difficult.

And I don't mean in a "good" Demon's Souls/From Software way but in a "bad" gameplay way. Love the games but it just had to be said and there is nothing and I mean nothing that can be said or done to make the above statement untrue. Unfortunately. I know, I basically studied those unforgiving gems.
Old 09 December 2014, 06:00   #100
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

What i regret actual days is that it seems the amiga is forgotten, i mean look on youtube all the top best computers music of the 80's 90's... often there is no amiga games !!!! I remeber that i comment one of the video like a crazy 1st i had an answer that he doesn't care about the cheezy sound of the amiga !!!!!!!!!!!! i started to post examples of the best amiga soundtracks and not news from this point !
I thnik we should make more videos about video games but not amiga centric, something more general but it should show the superiority of the amiga in 80's and the 1st part of the 90's. Or a video about OS of this period and what this os become actually... Any other ideas is welcome.