English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 06 April 2022, 18:09   #321
jeff b00toNic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
Are you just referring to the jumping issue you reported earlier? Or is this something else?
Yes, sorry if i wasn't clear.
Old 10 April 2022, 20:28   #322
CaptainHIT

I really love your work!
A quick play through the first level felt great. I don't know if somebody did report this, but there is something that caught my eye. The waterfall doesn't sprinkle on Turrican's head.

Old 10 April 2022, 21:04   #323
jeff b00toNic

I made a quick video about the jumping issue, sorry for the low quality.

Tested on real hardware with two different amigas and four different joysticks.
Sometimes the character switches animation frames during a jump for a fraction of a second in opposite directions, not shown in the video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yh216kipj0...0_001.mp4?dl=0
Old 10 April 2022, 23:37   #324
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHIT View Post
I really love your work!
A quick play through the first level felt great. I don't know if somebody did report this, but there is something that caught my eye. The waterfall doesn't sprinkle on Turrican's head.
This isn’t actually in the MS DOS version for some reason, but it is on my list to add anyway.
Old 10 April 2022, 23:41   #325
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff b00toNic View Post
I made a quick video about the jumping issue, sorry for the low quality.

Tested on real hardware with two different amigas and four different joysticks.
Sometimes the character switches animation frames during a jump for a fraction of a second in opposite directions, not shown in the video.
Although I haven’t seen this myself, I did find a bug in the joypad routine that could in theory be causing the jumping issue. Next build will have a fix.
Old 11 April 2022, 15:32   #326
Bren McGuire

thank you for your amazing work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
This was always my plan, but I wanted to try it before having to implement a menu screen.
Old 12 April 2022, 00:05   #327
Mixel

This is an amazing port and I'm glad you're keeping the options. If i was playing the MSDOS version, or a port of the MSDOS version I'd want to use the MSDOS player too..

This is kind of crazy sounding, and I don't know if anyone else has made tiles for it but would you be open to also doing a reskin of the ms-dos port using the increased palette but with remastered versions of the OG graphics that ARE actually.. well.. remastered versions of the original graphics and not someone making up a bunch of random stuff they thought looked better for some reason half the time? It'd look more like Turrican 2 AGA, which has never really existed, but seems viable now thanks to your work?

Someone would have to make the graphics but that sounds like a hell of a fun project.
Old 12 April 2022, 02:41   #328
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
This is an amazing port and I'm glad you're keeping the options. If i was playing the MSDOS version, or a port of the MSDOS version I'd want to use the MSDOS player too..

This is kind of crazy sounding, and I don't know if anyone else has made tiles for it but would you be open to also doing a reskin of the ms-dos port using the increased palette but with remastered versions of the OG graphics that ARE actually.. well.. remastered versions of the original graphics and not someone making up a bunch of random stuff they thought looked better for some reason half the time? It'd look more like Turrican 2 AGA, which has never really existed, but seems viable now thanks to your work?

Someone would have to make the graphics but that sounds like a hell of a fun project.
Sorry but your post doesn't really make much sense, are you talking about Turrican 1/remaking it's gfx?
Old 12 April 2022, 09:52   #329
Mixel

It makes perfect sense. Turrican 2 MSDOS has largely completely different graphical style to Turrican 2 Amiga. The graphics were redrawn by someone who seemingly did not respect the source material enough to try and actually keep what was there originally.

I’m talking about making new graphics for Turrican 2 that actually keep the spirit it of the the original artwork while increasing palette etc. Factor 5 didn’t like the MSDOS port’s graphics, they don’t look like Turrican 2, they don’t look like any of the snes or megadrive sequels, they literally look like a fan game. That’s part of what gives them charm, and I love the ms-dos version on its own merits but it’s nothing close to a canonical take on the material, hence never coming out in the rerelease compilations etc. it’s like a weird cover version of a song which has its own fans, some of whom insist it’s the definitive version when it’s stylistically so different it’s really just its own thing.

I’m curious about a hypothetical retrofit of this new engine to make an “enhanced” Amiga Turrican 2, is all.
Old 12 April 2022, 10:39   #330
roondar

I'd be quite interested in seeing what a re-imagined T2 would look like with GFX like that. Sounds like a wonderful idea

That said, I've also played the MS-DOS version in the past and somehow managed to get over the GFX differences (though I really don't like the main player character still). It's a competent enough port, though it feels to me the Amiga remake by Muzza is actually better
Old 12 April 2022, 17:13   #331
Wilhood

Cool game, looking forward to trying it.
Old 12 April 2022, 23:26   #332
lmimmfn

Quote:
It makes perfect sense. Turrican 2 MSDOS has largely completely different graphical style to Turrican 2 Amiga. The graphics were redrawn by someone who seemingly did not respect the source material enough to try and actually keep what was there originally.

I’m talking about making new graphics for Turrican 2 that actually keep the spirit it of the the original artwork while increasing palette etc. Factor 5 didn’t like the MSDOS port’s graphics, they don’t look like Turrican 2, they don’t look like any of the snes or megadrive sequels, they literally look like a fan game. That’s part of what gives them charm, and I love the ms-dos version on its own merits but it’s nothing close to a canonical take on the material, hence never coming out in the rerelease compilations etc. it’s like a weird cover version of a song which has its own fans, some of whom insist it’s the definitive version when it’s stylistically so different it’s really just its own thing.

I’m curious about a hypothetical retrofit of this new engine to make an “enhanced” Amiga Turrican 2, is all.
Ahh ok, I'm understanding you now, would love to see that but I think the msdos version is a well done improvement in general.
Old 16 April 2022, 19:53   #333
stefl0n

Just a quick update on another "platform" I tested your port. My A500 mini (ARM based hardware with UAE/amiberry-based emulation) arrived just a few days ago and I tried to run the Test Version v7 (PAL WHDLoad). After some config tweaking I got it to run finally. Graphics performance looks great, runs perfectly smooth, sound is stuttering a bit, maybe I still have to adjust some settings. It's nicely playable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a500-7.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	75321  

Last edited by stefl0n; 16 April 2022 at 20:09.
Old 17 April 2022, 13:01   #334
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefl0n View Post
Just a quick update on another "platform" I tested your port. My A500 mini (ARM based hardware with UAE/amiberry-based emulation) arrived just a few days ago and I tried to run the Test Version v7 (PAL WHDLoad). After some config tweaking I got it to run finally. Graphics performance looks great, runs perfectly smooth, sound is stuttering a bit, maybe I still have to adjust some settings. It's nicely playable.

Can I ask how you got it running as I can only get a black screen
Old 18 April 2022, 08:50   #335
Muzza

Quote:

The ideal project for me would have been to make a brand new game in the spirit of Turrican 2. So new graphics, maps, audio. I ended up doing the port because I didn't have a team to do all the non-programming jobs. Perhaps this project can serve as a 'proof of concept and commitment'. If anyone does want to team up for an original game, I would be keen - although ideally I'd finish this port first.

As for artwork in the PC DOS version, I've seen the full range of reactions from 'awful all round' to 'much better than the Amiga version'. It is probably fair to say that the original was such a classic that any deviations are going to be received negatively by some. Personally I think they did a reasonable job with the DOS version, some parts are weak, but much of it is still consistent with the original, and the places where they deviated just keeps it interesting IMHO.
Old 18 April 2022, 09:36   #336
jotd
This cat is no more

Mostly the MS DOS version allowed you to borrow the excellent 256 color palette (I did the same for Supercars International static pics). So that's something.

Pick the best of both worlds. I love the Amiga turrican sprite

Your game meets its deserved success also because you're remaking a successful game. If you create your own game, it's not going to have so much impact, unless it's groundbreaking.
Old 18 April 2022, 10:34   #337
haynor666
retro maniac

I really love amiga version. It was first that I play but in most areas PC version seems to be better. Most people don't like PC main character but putting original one with PC graphics looks kinda weird. Maybe PC sprite is a bit worst but really not that much

I'm really happy with Turrican 2 AGA port. It looks fantastic on CRT TV.

BTW. So time ago Mega Turrican was published on megadrive with reconstructed levels. I would love to see this version on amiga
Old 18 April 2022, 13:09   #338
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor666 View Post
I really love amiga version. It was first that I play but in most areas PC version seems to be better. Most people don't like PC main character but putting original one with PC graphics looks kinda weird. Maybe PC sprite is a bit worst but really not that much

BTW. So time ago Mega Turrican was published on megadrive with reconstructed levels. I would love to see this version on amiga
Yes awesome idea !
Old 18 April 2022, 18:01   #339
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor666 View Post

didn't know about this turrican3 reconstructed levels where can i find it ?
Old 19 April 2022, 08:45   #340
stefl0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Can I ask how you got it running as I can only get a black screen
When initially running the Game on the A500 press SPACE (or sec. Fire) to create a .uae file for the game on the USB drive. Edit the file with a text editor and add the line use_gui=yes. Then on the next game start the Amiberry GUI will appear and you can modify the settings to represent an AGA-AMIGA with some chip and fast ram. Then the game starts.
I didn't manage to get it to run yet with modified settings in die .uae file only (without the gui).