English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 04 September 2009, 02:03   #1
JackTheKnife
Amiga Fetish

Question HDD backup

Is it a fast and easy way to do a hard drive backup? WinUAE, other PeCee software?

Thanks
Old 04 September 2009, 22:34   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Jack,

If you're talking about backing up an Amiga hard drive, you can do this easily in WinUAE, either to another hard drive or hardfile(s) using Workbench and CLI commands.

More details of your requirement gets you more details of the procedure.
Old 08 September 2009, 21:00   #3
JackTheKnife
Amiga Fetish

I have two HDDs (internal) and I want to put one CF card instead of those HDDs.
Old 08 September 2009, 21:17   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Jack,

In order to copy the files from the HDDs to you CF card, you will require a CF-IDE adapter in which to mount the CF card, and then attach the drives to the IDE controller of your PC and mount them in WinUAE. How many you can mount simultaneously will depend on how many hard drives and other devices you already have connected.

If you can't connect all three at once, then you'll have to copy the content of each hard drive in turn to the CF card, and if you can only mount one at a time, then you'll have to use a hardfile as intermediary.
Old 08 September 2009, 21:32   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Normal USB multislot CF/SD/MS/whatever all-in-one memory card readers work fine (and is much easier to use than IDE adapters)

Note that IDE-USB adapters can have compatibility problems with older drives. Mainboard IDE connector usually works but forcing PIO0/1 in bios may be needed if drive is really old.
Old 08 September 2009, 22:31   #6
Photon

Yeah, I didn't get that either. I had a tanker-shipload of problems getting my Amiga HDD to accept any master/slave IDE adapter on the same IDE, to do a backup "on the Amiga".

I concluded wth, so plug the fucking HDD in my PC and backup with WinUAE. At leat then I can have it alone on an IDE cable. CF and SD card adapter seemed to have no problem with another device on IDEfix port 0, only the harddisk. IDE - the well-conceived interface to have one whole device connected to it... it's a laff, really.

Haven't done it yet cos I have higher priorities, but... backup on PC, throw away the HDD and install a CF card to IDE adapter on your Amiga and enjoy speed and silence...

Or if you have an accel with the glorious SCSI from the earliy 80s, get the SCSI to IDE from vesalia.de, superior performance.

But backup on PC and replace that harddisk.