English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 22 July 2008, 21:54   #1
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Offering Bounties.

Would it be in poor taste to offer a bounty to anyone willing to create a WHDLoad slave for particular games? There are several games I'd like to see made to work with WHDLoad and I know it takes time and effort so offering an honorarium seems in order provided it doesn't offend sensibilities.

What do you lot think? Not cool or perfectly reasonable? As long as I'm asking, anyone interested in doing such work? Let me know.
Old 22 July 2008, 22:38   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Depends on what games

I can be bought, i'm cheap as well!
Old 07 August 2008, 11:39   #3
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Hi,

Here are a few informal guidelines I can think of to get a Patcher WHDf'ying such and such game.
  • Try the generic slave (just in case)
  • Gather information Patchers themselves need about the game
    (knowing whether the game is dos or not, whether it's rare or not...)
  • Try to explain why such game should be discovered or rediscovered, having in mind 20 years or so have passed since its first outing
  • Indicate to the Patcher which of his slaves you are using

Here is a wild guess about the chances one might get an answer for any SPS'd game requested via pm :
Codetapper : 50%
Bored Seal : 30%
JOTD : 15%

The answer may be evasive, these people are busy professional coders, most of the time, and are involved in numerous time-consuming projects.
This said, I don't think any of them will let someone down if they don't have a good reason to do so.

"Reasonable" insistence, is a bit hit and miss. As in real life, members of a Team don't work as fast as one another, patience is the key virtue.

Only "apprentice Patcher" I know of is Hungry Horace. There might be others.

The above advice is for the people that keep posting blindly about requests to choose their "champion", instead of simply applying the redundant "pm Psygore" suggestion (which I did by the way, not that there's anything wrong with that).

Also, to my knowledge :
  • SPS and WHDload heartedly receive donations from Amiga gamers
  • The people who have registered WHDload can send their remarks / complaints at wepl

Last edited by NewDeli; 08 August 2008 at 01:13.
Old 07 August 2008, 21:40   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

What a load of nonsense!
Old 07 August 2008, 21:54   #5
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Galahad, I'll give you £50 of the £100 I'm getting given to make an install if you make the install.

Sound good?
Old 07 August 2008, 22:13   #6
jotd
This cat is no more

I plead non-guilty: I'm moving in a new house, and I have to take care of my 8-month son. Which explains a lot...
I have around zero time at home to do anything on the PC or Amiga. Neither patches nor remakes for the moment.
I hope things will improve in a few weeks.
Old 08 August 2008, 02:01   #7
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

Then the answer is simple, and yet complicated...
Why should only one person pay for a patch that everyone would want to use, probably for free?
Anyway, if Wepl should post your developed WHDLoad patches at a symbolic price of ...say € 3.00 each download, like the mobile phones dumb (and most time useless) ring tones.
This way maybe you could have some profit as well as an extra incentive!
This way you could develop the most wanted titles first choosen by periodic voting pools here on EAB and Lemon too, this would make the community more aware imho...and if only 50 downloads were made from that game patch it would still be €150 for a developed loader.
WhdLoad for Demos could be a bit cheaper like € 2.00 per download, its just an example...and at the end on each year you could offer a few cool patches for free too to keep things more appealing...imho.
This way you could give €50/per patch to Wepl and that would pay for his work with WHDLoad and you could keep the rest...i know its not much but at least its not for free, and i guess that its more than Wepl is probably making right now on the donations...and i know most amiga guys would agree...i think...well i would...everyone could win.
We just have to get organized!

Last edited by Yoto; 08 August 2008 at 02:43.
Old 08 August 2008, 17:47   #8
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
What a load of nonsense!
After receiving a whole bunch of PMs from Deleauvive I would say I understood about 50% of what he was talking about and I've never quite managed to figure out what point he was trying to make. To preserve my sanity I decided to discontinue the conversation which resulted in his posting here. My apologies.
Old 09 August 2008, 08:54   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@Yotoxionomai
Maybe it would be better to make a pool for donations for a specific WHDLoad slave (if it is really necessary). Even if don't use WHDLoad often I think it wouldn't be a good idea to charge for every slave download. But that are just my two cents

@gklinger
Same problem with Deleauvive here
Old 09 August 2008, 10:59   #10
NewDeli
Banned

Question

@TCD & gklinker : You make it sound like I have been sending you unsolicited pms, while you replied to most of them . I made it clear it's OK with me not pm'ing you again.

Like most people participating in the WHDload threads, I have been trying to find a way to get my requests fulfilled, having in mind the massive amount of good unWHD'fied games and the different approaches people have with loading games (from a real Amiga, from WinUAE, from frontends).

As long as I follow the forum rules, and respect your will not to be pm'ed again, please respect mine to share my findings with people who actually use whdload, and have some insights that offering his slaves to the highest bidder might not be to every Patcher's taste.

Last edited by NewDeli; 27 August 2008 at 02:11.
Old 09 August 2008, 11:30   #11
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
@TCD & gklinker : You make it sound like I have been sending you unsolicited pms, while you replied to most of them .
I replied because I didn't want to be rude but you seemed like you were angry at me or something and then you started giving me unsolicited advice (that I didn't really understand).

No worries.
Old 09 August 2008, 12:40   #12
BippyM
Global Moderator

Guys just create a single thread with games that you'd like to see WHDLoaded!

Include the reason why and as much info as you can, but let's face it a WHD patcher will know more about the game if they decide to pick it up in a few hours than a non-technical user will!

It's simple as that really, none of this bullshit in this thread! I'm part way through my croak slave then I'll need something new to do (don't expect anything quick though.. I have little time and MGO is keeping me busy )

oh and the patchers don't need or want paying for creating a slave.. send your money to wepl to keep WHDLoad supported!
Old 09 August 2008, 13:08   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post

oh and the patchers don't need or want paying for creating a slave.. send your money to wepl to keep WHDLoad supported!
Old 09 August 2008, 17:47   #14
BoredSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklinger View Post
Would it be in poor taste to offer a bounty to anyone willing to create a WHDLoad slave for particular games? There are several games I'd like to see made to work with WHDLoad and I know it takes time and effort so offering an honorarium seems in order provided it doesn't offend sensibilities.

What do you lot think? Not cool or perfectly reasonable? As long as I'm asking, anyone interested in doing such work? Let me know.
Great idea. I´m for every possible financial corruption, exactly as our governement.
Old 09 August 2008, 17:54   #15
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
Agreed If someone liked one of the few installs I've done then send a donation to WHDLoad. If I was really poor I'd work overtime instead of making installs
Old 09 August 2008, 21:13   #16
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Methinks I should have made this a poll.
Old 10 August 2008, 13:25   #17
NewDeli
Banned

Apparently, some Patchers accept personal donations (I can name 2, just refer to whdload.de ReadMe's).

I think the idea (if you don't like the word "advice") is to have your "champion" spend more time patching games than he actually does (or trying to pull him out of retirement). That could increase the chances our requests are examined, if my reasoning isn't totally out of place.

On the other hand, I am quite sure some well-acquainted gamers contributions (with docs, originals) are not weaker incentives than money.

Then comes the exposure of the reasons why we would like such obscure or bashed by critics game to be WHDfy'd...
Old 10 August 2008, 14:19   #18
Marcuz

also, installer writers could fight in the arena, completely dressed as ants or earwigs, surrounded by lions. donations from the board then would be sent to me. i think this is a cool idea!
Old 10 August 2008, 14:36   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
also, installer writers could fight in the arena, completely dressed as ants or earwigs, surrounded by lions. donations from the board then would be sent to me. i think this is a cool idea!
Interesting idea Imperatore marco Don't forget to have enough bread ready for the EAB audience
Btw : Cool new avatar
Old 10 August 2008, 14:46   #20
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Interesting idea Imperatore marco Don't forget to have enough bread ready for the EAB audience

i think that, considering eab standards, i should provide booze et circenses...