English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 April 2022, 10:23   #1
A500

Would an accurate port of the original Xevious arcade be viable on the A500?

Hi folks,

Xevious is one of my all-time arcade favourites (spent quite a many coin on it as a kid!), and I've always felt kind of sorry it was never ported to the Amiga. Seeing that we're getting great conversions of other arcade hits of the time (which is bloody fantastic!), the old dream of having the same game experience on my trusty Amiga has resurfaced again. Would this be possible from a technical viewpoint, either on the A500 or at least on the A1200?
Old 02 April 2022, 12:25   #2
S. Campbell

It'd clearly be possible. Even the Atari ST managed a pretty decent version:

[ Show youtube player ]

And the Sharp X68000, which is pretty comparable to the Amiga power-wise, had a near-perfect one.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 April 2022, 12:44   #3
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Campbell View Post
And the Sharp X68000, which is pretty comparable to the Amiga power-wise,

Hmmm....

That's not to say Xevious wouldn't be possible, of course, it's a 1982 game after all.
Old 02 April 2022, 13:58   #4
hitchhikr

The answer to your question is yes.
Old 02 April 2022, 17:41   #5
A500

Thanks everybody for the answers! The ST version looks surprisingly good, I wonder if it has all the features of the original (gameplay and level-wise). The graphics look pretty close to the original. Perhaps it wouldn't be a humongous task to make a conversion using the ST version as a basis?

I sadly lack the skills to code anything worth a mention, but one can always dream and hope....
Old 02 April 2022, 21:34   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by A500 View Post
Thanks everybody for the answers! The ST version looks surprisingly good, I wonder if it has all the features of the original (gameplay and level-wise). The graphics look pretty close to the original. Perhaps it wouldn't be a humongous task to make a conversion using the ST version as a basis?

I sadly lack the skills to code anything worth a mention, but one can always dream and hope....
I think if anyone were to tackle it, doing it from scratch would be the better option and not be limited by the choices the original ST programmer made.

Only thing I hate about Xevious is the "music", it really would benefit from new actual music, not the crap white noise they used originally.
Old 02 April 2022, 21:56   #7
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Only thing I hate about Xevious is the "music", it really would benefit from new actual music, not the crap white noise they used originally.
Thanks for saying it first!
The "music" in this game is some kind of elaborate torture...
Old 03 April 2022, 01:14   #8
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Was kinda hypnotic and sorta help focusing, i remember i made a 423000 score on the arcade
Old 03 April 2022, 17:17   #9
A500

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Was kinda hypnotic and sorta help focusing, i remember i made a 423000 score on the arcade

Heh, that's how I remember it also. I'm not sure how I would experience it today though!
Old 03 April 2022, 23:42   #10
S. Campbell

The sound in Xevious is arguably its most iconic and evocative feature, replacing that with some soft-rawk coder noodling would be a horrific crime.
Old 03 April 2022, 23:55   #11
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
The sound in Xevious is arguably its most iconic and evocative feature, replacing that with some soft-rawk coder noodling would be a horrific crime.
There could be an OST/AST option
Old 04 April 2022, 00:22   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
"iconic" and "evocative"....... has someone changed the definitions of those words?
Old 05 April 2022, 02:24   #13
Arne
Hobby/Indie gamedev

Maybe it would be interesting to hear a music remix, well, maybe more like some further embroidery to break the monotony.

Xevious has some excellent concept art. The main ship is a lot cooler than it the sprite makes it out to be. Then there's the screw-drive tank enemy Grobda which strangely got its own game. And there's also a language and complex backstory. There's a version where the graphics have more interesting hues than the lifeless gray ramp seen in most ports, so that's definitely something I'd like to see in an Amiga version. I think using one of the blitting modes to do realistic transparent drop shadows might be cool (i.e. a palette trick).
Old 07 April 2022, 18:17   #14
Toni Galvez

Quote:
I think if anyone were to tackle it, doing it from scratch would be the better option and not be limited by the choices the original ST programmer made.

If I remember well, there is a demo of Xevious for Amiga, because I played in mi A1200 in the late 90s.

But I can not find it anywhere.
Old 08 April 2022, 11:22   #15
A500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
If I remember well, there is a demo of Xevious for Amiga, because I played in mi A1200 in the late 90s.

But I can not find it anywhere.

This came up in a search, seems to be quite recent: https://github.com/mazspork/xevious68k
Old 08 April 2022, 18:34   #16
kamelito
Zone Friend

[QUOTE=Galahad/FLT;1538967
Only thing I hate about Xevious is the "music", it really would benefit from new actual music, not the crap white noise they used originally.[/QUOTE]

It is the case of many early Arcades games and having Amigabport with kinda the same tune is not great IMHO.
Old 08 April 2022, 18:36   #17
kamelito
Zone Friend

Nice find.
Old 08 April 2022, 20:26   #18
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
It is the case of many early Arcades games and having Amigabport with kinda the same tune is not great IMHO.
I would keep the original tune as an option for those who appreciates it and add some remixes from other versions like PSX or similar
Old 08 April 2022, 22:39   #19
mcgeezer

A500 could do xevious ( or slap fight ) with ease
Good project for someone to do for sure.
Old 29 January 2023, 23:29   #20
jotd
This cat is no more

Well, it's not that easy for a 1:1 port because of the strange local palettes the game uses.

Game uses 128 colors, which could be reduced but it also has an OSD. ATM I'm focusing on an AGA port which should run on bare A1200. There are also memory constraints because of all the lookup tables and various palettes to emulate.

This project was initiated by Mark McDougall, a talented coder who is doing the NeoGeo version which is way beyond the amiga version, but the cool thing is: I don't have a clue about how the game works. All Z80 to 68k reverse of the game logic is done by Mark and I "just" have to implement the hardware dependent calls that he designed.

So more like an emulator, but not as slow as MAME, else it would be useless.

http://retroports.blogspot.com/

Here's a WinUAE video to prove the concept. It's highly buggy (lots of gfx glitches) but you get the idea:

[ Show youtube player ]