English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 February 2016, 18:43   #1
DamienD
Banned

Happy Birthday MAME!!!

Yesterday MAME was 19 years old

http://www.mameworld.info/

Think I started using it mid 1997... and have been updating to every new version / ROMS / CHDs etc. since
Old 06 February 2016, 19:08   #2
Superman

I have been using it since the early days too when it was Nicola Salmoria's baby. Time has just flown by.
Old 06 February 2016, 21:25   #3
mintsauce82

Amazing, I started using it in summer 1998. I read about it in Edge magazine while away on a camping trip, and couldn't wait to get back to start (slowly) downloading games.

I couldn't believe that such a thing existed, it made me so happy that all these games weren't going to be lost forever.
Old 06 February 2016, 22:19   #4
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Wow! Has it really been that long!!?

So much fun with MAME over the years
Old 06 February 2016, 22:56   #5
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I have been using it since the early days too when it was Nicola Salmoria's baby. Time has just flown by.
The godfather of MAME... Yeah, he doesn't really have much involvement these days (if any at all).

His blog has been dead for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintsauce82 View Post
Amazing, I started using it in summer 1998. I read about it in Edge magazine while away on a camping trip, and couldn't wait to get back to start (slowly) downloading games.
LOL; took me ages to get all the ROMS in those days via modem but I still did as I wanted them sooooo bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintsauce82 View Post
I couldn't believe that such a thing existed, it made me so happy that all these games weren't going to be lost forever.
Oh me too; when I first discovered MAME it was like all my dreams had come true. All the original arcade games that I had played from say from 7 years old to up 20.

...and when Capcom CPS1 + 2 & Neo-Geo games were emulated

I even bought myself 2 x HotRod SE joysticks (in case one broke) back in 2001 or something to make the whole experience better: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...HSNdASQQsAQIIg

Last edited by DamienD; 07 February 2016 at 00:23.
Old 06 February 2016, 23:00   #6
SkulleateR

NeoGeo Games were my first touch with MAME but only because I cannot afford to buy them for real for my NeoGeo AES Home System

Still only got Magican Lord and Crossed Swords for it but I can play all those other goodies with MAME

Happy Birthday
Old 07 February 2016, 08:08   #7
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I've not used MAME since I switched to Linux years ago. Is it safe to go back into the water yet? Traditionally the solutions for this platform have been dire compared to Windows, or even on the Mac.
Old 07 February 2016, 19:46   #8
Hodor
Retro Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
I've not used MAME since I switched to Linux years ago. Is it safe to go back into the water yet? Traditionally the solutions for this platform have been dire compared to Windows, or even on the Mac.
Yes, indeed.

You may choose frontends like QMC2 or Mewui and even Retroarch.

Last edited by Hodor; 07 February 2016 at 20:02. Reason: Typo
Old 07 February 2016, 20:22   #9
Superman

It will be interesting to see how they celebrate the 20th Anniversary next year. That will be a nice milestone.
Old 08 February 2016, 14:53   #10
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulleateR View Post
NeoGeo Games were my first touch with MAME but only because I cannot afford to buy them for real for my NeoGeo AES Home System

Still only got Magican Lord and Crossed Swords for it but I can play all those other goodies with MAME

Happy Birthday
Same here - I remember downloading mslug.zip on a 56k... Took me 5 tries, each one was around 1-2 hours! But it was TOTALLY worth it

GetRight was such a boon back then! Resuming downloads was essential, but not many websites supported it, so whenever I found a ROM site supporting resuming, I was happy as I could be - too bad they were shut down every month or so back then
Old 08 February 2016, 19:35   #11
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

19 years?! Never realised it's been that long. I did have a complete romset one time with my first PC back in 2005 (I think) but then real life happened, moved and eventually got a new PC (the other was very basic but I never backed anything up). Have built up a favourites collection of MAME roms but absolutely nowhere near the amount I originally had. To have every rom and chd file, how much Gb we now talking?
Old 09 February 2016, 10:18   #12
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy View Post
19 years?! Never realised it's been that long. I did have a complete romset one time with my first PC back in 2005 (I think) but then real life happened, moved and eventually got a new PC (the other was very basic but I never backed anything up). Have built up a favourites collection of MAME roms but absolutely nowhere near the amount I originally had. To have every rom and chd file, how much Gb we now talking?
Hello there quahappy,

I don't have my HDDs here with me at work but I think around 50GB from memory...

Will check when get home as I have the complete v0.170 ROMs / CHDs
Old 10 February 2016, 08:19   #13
kneehighspy

one of the best and most used emulators was, and still is mame, even through all its front ends and back ends.

//kneehighspy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yesterday MAME was 19 years old

http://www.mameworld.info/

Think I started using it mid 1997... and have been updating to every new version / ROMS / CHDs etc. since
Old 10 February 2016, 21:08   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Hello there quahappy,

I don't have my HDDs here with me at work but I think around 50GB from memory...

Will check when get home as I have the complete v0.170 ROMs / CHDs
Ooops, seems my estimate was way out... must have had only the ROMs in mind...

Not like I really check the size regularly; I have so many HDDs I just download

Anyway, sizes are as follows:

ROMs = 52.6GB:

CHDs = 372GB:

Old 11 February 2016, 13:46   #15
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Not much then LOL. Thanks for checking, Damien! Got 194Gb left on internal hard drive and probably around the same on external HDD. Mmm. Probably carry on the way I have been for now (adding new ROM's/CHD's) as and when I need them.
Old 11 February 2016, 15:17   #16
Gzegzolka

Mame is great software it gives me lot of fun and joy.
Old 11 February 2016, 20:45   #17
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Not much then LOL. Thanks for checking, Damien! Got 194Gb left on internal hard drive and probably around the same on external HDD. Mmm. Probably carry on the way I have been for now (adding new ROM's/CHD's) as and when I need them.
Hello there quahappy,

If you want me to send you the complete MAME v0.170 collection I will (now that these days they make "USB 3.0 512GB memory sticks)?

Just PM me your address, I'll post across but of course you need to post the USB stick back to me after you've copied everything off
Old 12 February 2016, 18:00   #18
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Hello there quahappy,

If you want me to send you the complete MAME v0.170 collection I will (now that these days they make "USB 3.0 512GB memory sticks)?

Just PM me your address, I'll post across but of course you need to post the USB stick back to me after you've copied everything off
Your generosity shines through again my friend (after providing some other stuff in the past - your SNES DVD). Yes please - really appreciated. Thank you. I'll remove some stuff from my external HDD to make room.

PM sent.
Old 12 February 2016, 20:17   #19
Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodor View Post
Yes, indeed.

You may choose frontends like QMC2 or Mewui and even Retroarch.
i am using the wine detour, as there is no recent mameplus version avaible for linux.

the big advantage - it runs quite all right on my machine, is portable and therefore can be updated to the latest version in a minute.

anyway i will give your suggestions a try, thanks
Old 18 February 2016, 19:59   #20
DamienD
Banned

Everything copied across to 2 x 256GB USB 3.0 memory sticks ready for posting.

I won't sent just yet; all the packs by "Antonio Paradossi @ Progetto-Snaps" are very shortly going to be getting an major update in line with 0.170 so I'll download / run through ClrMamePro and then include also to save you the hassle

http://www.progettosnaps.net/