English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 October 2022, 12:45   #1
Daedalus

Amiga Ireland 2023

Amiga Ireland is back after its Covid-related hiatus, and will be happening in the Sheraton hotel, Athlone on 13th and 14th January next, for two days of Amiga-related fun. Tickets are now on sale: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/amiga-ir...s-425347073547
Old 18 October 2022, 19:00   #2
Daedalus

And returning this year as well is the Amiga Ireland Creative Competition. There are two categories: music module and pixel art. Entries can be submitted on the AmigaUsers.ie website until January 6th, and the winners of each category will be selected and announced at the Amiga Ireland show on the 14th. You don't have to attend the show to enter, but all entries will be played / displayed at the event. First prize in each category is €50, second prize is €25 and 3rd is €15.

Entry form and further details here: https://amigausers.ie/creative-compe...reland-online/
Old 19 October 2022, 11:07   #3
SoDa7

An interesting event; I might consider sending a music module for the competition, if not attending the event. Since it's held directly at the hotel, don't they offer also accommodation packages?
Old 19 October 2022, 14:59   #4
Daedalus

I believe there's a small discount offered for attendees if you call the hotel directly, but I don't think it's a significant amount. There are cheaper hotels in the town anyway.
Old 19 October 2022, 15:02   #5
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Great news. Look forward to seeing you there.
Old 21 October 2022, 02:35   #6
lmimmfn

Looking forward to it
Old 24 October 2022, 10:52   #7
Girolamo85

Old 28 October 2022, 23:09   #8
Crumpster

I’m really considering coming over for this, I’ve wanted to previously but then Covid happened. I come over to Dublin quite regularly with work but not really ventured further out than Naas and Co. Wicklow.

Weighing up the options, coming over from the UK the options are fly from Luton to Dublin then bus/train to Athlone, or make a week’s trip out of it and fly and rent a car or get the ferry. Could bring more Amiga bits over with the ferry.
Old 28 October 2022, 23:27   #9
Daedalus

Nice! If you have a local usergroup, you could check if anyone else is heading over and make a road trip of it.

Athlone's kinda in the middle of nowhere, but there are decent transport links. There's a bus that goes directly from Dublin airport to Athlone. Also, Dublin is the main airport really, but it might be worth checking for flights to Knock or Shannon, or even Belfast, just in case they're more convenient/cheaper. All are a similar length to drive to Athlone, though not as convenient for public transport.

Co. Wicklow (Greystones) is where I grew up
Old 29 October 2022, 01:29   #10
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Nice! If you have a local usergroup, you could check if anyone else is heading over and make a road trip of it.

Athlone's kinda in the middle of nowhere, but there are decent transport links. There's a bus that goes directly from Dublin airport to Athlone. Also, Dublin is the main airport really, but it might be worth checking for flights to Knock or Shannon, or even Belfast, just in case they're more convenient/cheaper. All are a similar length to drive to Athlone, though not as convenient for public transport.

Co. Wicklow (Greystones) is where I grew up
Derry is another option for an Airport but as you say Dublin Airport is the handiest option for buses or more inconvenient bus to cite centre and train from Housten Station to Athlone.
Old 29 October 2022, 02:13   #11
Pyromania

I hope I can make this one. I’m half Irish after all. How many people normally attend?

Old 29 October 2022, 02:20   #12
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I hope I can make this one. I’m half Irish after all. How many people normally attend?

I'll be there, that's all you need to know
Old 29 October 2022, 11:30   #13
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post

Nice! It's hard to tell how many will be there this year because we haven't held it in a couple of years and people might be less likely to attend due to costs and so on, but we typically had around 100 people at them before the pandemic.
Old 16 January 2023, 15:29   #14
Crumpster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Nice! It's hard to tell how many will be there this year because we haven't held it in a couple of years and people might be less likely to attend due to costs and so on, but we typically had around 100 people at them before the pandemic.
I just wanted to thank you and everyone who helped set up and run the show this year for organising such a great event. I had a great time doing all things Amiga at the show, and the evening events with copious amounts of Guinness were a great craic. Slightly sore head on both the following mornings but was worth it.

It was good to put faces to names, meet new friends, help each other out with Various Amiga problems and learn about all sorts of stuff.

Thanks for sorting my T-shirt out at the end there, much appreciated.

After the ferry back and a long drive I eventually got home about 5:20am Monday morning.

I’ll Definitely be coming to next year’s show.

Cheers,
Graham C
Old 16 January 2023, 20:16   #15
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
@Crumpster

It was great to meet you! Hope you do come back next year.
Old 17 January 2023, 13:28   #16
Crumpster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
@Crumpster

It was great to meet you! Hope you do come back next year.
Thanks DDNI, was great to find a fellow Damocles fan!
Old 17 January 2023, 15:24   #17
Daedalus

Delighted you enjoyed it Crumpster, was great to meet you, and see you next year

And thanks to everyone who attended and made the event a great success! The attendance exceeded our expectations to roughly match the pre-Covid levels, which we genuinely didn't think would happen. Sure yiz are all great
Old 17 January 2023, 15:39   #18
amigakit.com

Amiga Ireland was once again great fun - a pleasure to meet so many of you. Many thanks to the organisers who did a terrific job - Daedalus, Jarlath and others.

Looking forward to next years already!
Old 30 March 2023, 10:13   #19
Fery

Send a message via ICQ to Fery
Anyone got any photos from the party?
Old 30 March 2023, 16:04   #20
Daedalus

I think a few were posted on Facebook around the time, but I don't have any to hand myself. A-Eon had some photos in Amiga Future magazine, and posted this collage on Twitter: https://twitter.com/aeontechltd/stat...12249378054144