English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 June 2020, 18:06   #81
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
... hmm, better make a backup first ...
No Peter, AfA OS can be installed manually if you have a OS3.9 RTG, just copy some folders, some libraries and add two commands in the Statup-sequence, to go back it is sufficient to deactivate only the two entries in the Startup-sequence.

Only change on the system deactivate/remove PowerIcons and any other icon patches.

You can also apply the Patches on RAWBInfo then will be able to support 32Bit Icons, and on Dopus Magellan 5.82 allow the use of Deficons and Eastern
Old 13 June 2020, 18:22   #82
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
No Peter, AfA OS can be installed manually if you have a OS3.9 RTG, just copy some folders, some libraries and add two commands in the Statup-sequence, to go back it is sufficient to deactivate only the two entries in the Startup-sequence.

Only change on the system deactivate/remove PowerIcons and any other icon patches.

You can also apply the Patches on RAWBInfo then will be able to support 32Bit Icons, and on Dopus Magellan 5.82 allow the use of Deficons and Eastern
Well...I'm dying to try it if only to take advantage of the preferences for window frames and gadgets...
Old 13 June 2020, 18:37   #83
AMIGASYSTEM

I'm preparing a small, comprehensive video tutorial that shows how to install manually AfA OS 4.8 on an OS.9 BB4 RTG
Old 13 June 2020, 18:41   #84
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
I'm preparing a small, comprehensive video tutorial that shows how to install manually AfA OS 4.8 on an OS.9 BB4 RTG
!
Old 13 June 2020, 18:57   #85
AMIGASYSTEM

I remembered that I had already done the video, I had created several for each type of OS installed

Manual installation of AfA_OS v4.8 on OS 3.9 BB4 RTG:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mfy...ew?usp=sharing
Old 13 June 2020, 20:11   #86
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
I remembered that I had already done the video, I had created several for each type of OS installed

Manual installation of AfA_OS v4.8 on OS 3.9 BB4 RTG:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mfy...ew?usp=sharing
Man that video runs fast.
Old 13 June 2020, 21:16   #87
AMIGASYSTEM

You can use the Pause at every step
Old 14 June 2020, 13:52   #88
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
You can use the Pause at every step
I might have a go at this today. I'll let you know the results. I made back-ups last night.
Old 14 June 2020, 14:29   #89
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

@AMIGASYSTEM,

I might have killed your Google page or it's an issue with Google. I'll try it later again.

I noticed your PC CPU running WinUAE was @ 92 C. The Mac has poor cooling. I keep it elevated and I have a small desk fan running at an angle behind it toward that intake slot right below the hinge of the lid (poor design!). I'm happy if my Mac temp is below 70C and the CPU temp is below 90C running FS-UAE. I know the CPU will shut down for protection @ 120 C but I'm paranoid.

I know these Intel chips are designed to last at high temps but PCs/PC Laptops just have better cooling than the MBP and I need this laptop to last a while. Running a 68060 really pushes it.

Just an aside for your interest.
Old 14 June 2020, 15:32   #90
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

I thought you might appreciate this: Since I can't watch the vid in Google at the moment, I downloaded it. Here it is, running in FFPlay alongside DOPUS. And, away we go!

I'm thinking I should disable/uninstall Visualprefs before I go any further...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	afainstall.png
Views:	157
Size:	686.4 KB
ID:	67762  
Old 14 June 2020, 15:44   #91
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
I'm thinking I should disable/uninstall Visualprefs before I go any further...
Commenting out the line for it in your startup-sequence should be enough.
Old 14 June 2020, 16:00   #92
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Commenting out the line for it in your startup-sequence should be enough.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. I started the install before I did that. I think I'll copy my backup HDF over and start it again.
Old 14 June 2020, 16:04   #93
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

@AMIGASYSTEM

Ok - I found the first mistake in your install video: Installation of the wizard.library. It isn't part of AfaOS. You pull a share over to grab it. I have one, it is used for Amiga Writer. The sizes are different. Yours is 315M, the one from Aminet is only 224M. Help?
Old 14 June 2020, 19:58   #94
AMIGASYSTEM

wizard_45.1(020).library

https://amiga.foul.fr/index.php
Old 14 June 2020, 20:01   #95
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
wizard_45.1(020).library

https://amiga.foul.fr/index.php
Ok. I completed the install with the wizard.lib I have. Man it did some funky things to my desktop, like push my drives on the left off the screen where they aren't accessible. AmiDock is all boogered up. That's ok, I'm back on my backup.

Let me incorporate this version of wizard.lib into that config and see if it makes a difference.
Old 14 June 2020, 20:16   #96
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Ok. Once again, I've returned to my backup. I hate to tell you this, but this installation did absolutely nothing other than screw up my Workbench and AmiDock. I opened AfA Prefs and chose some settings - they did absolutely nothing.

I was pretty thorough. When this happened this afternoon, I went back over everything. I didn't miss any steps. I'm curious if you were installing to a vanilla installation of OS3.9 w/ Boing Bags. I disabled VisualPrefs and the only other thing I had running was my own Truetype Manager which only installs fonts. I have MagicMenu running.

Anyway, I'm going to consider this a failed experiment and move on now. Thanks for helping out.
Old 14 June 2020, 20:32   #97
AMIGASYSTEM

You have to set the programs to the new resolution, on AfA OS all OS3 programs that support RTG work well, see all the Dock in the screenshot !!!

AmiiDok, AmiStart, WBDock, DockBot, MacLikeDock e PolyNet

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 24 January 2022 at 01:00.
Old 14 June 2020, 20:43   #98
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
You have to set the programs to the new resolution, on AfA OS all OS3 programs that support RTG work well, see all the Dock in the screenshot !!!

AmiiDok, AmiStart, WBDock, DockBot, MacLikeDock e PolyNet
What, 1024 x 768, from my own 1920 x 1080? Look, I'm sure it runs very well for you and this might be nice on real hardware where 1024 x 768 is the highest or best RTG resolution. I'm very pleased with what I have. I like the look and feel of OS3, including Visualprefs. If the Window Frames and gadgets prefs was able to run standalone within OS3.9, I'd consider it.

As it is, I wasn't even able to do that on the installation. NOTHING worked. The AfA prefs came up but NONE of the settings did anything. The ONLY thing I saw that seemed to work within the prefs was TTF anti-aliasing but changing some of the Workbench fonts to TTF and restarting - there was no anti-aliasing.

I'm certain I'm not understanding the overall concept of Afa OS. The documentation is horrible and even the original install script failed for many, many people who attempted it, including me. It needs a LOT of work before it's accessible to all Amiga users (or all Amiga users running 3.9). I mean you no disrespect but it isn't for me.
Old 14 June 2020, 21:02   #99
AMIGASYSTEM

I can't test 1920 x 1080 resolution because my monitor doesn't provide those resolutions, but it shouldn't change anything, AfA OS adds more modern features to the Workbench.

On Amilator (AfA OS) i also tested resolutions above1024x768 without encountering any problems, AmikiX like other modern Distributions all use AfA OS.

AfA OS has an incomplete automatic installation, then you still need to do some manual compiling.

My tutorial is simplified and easy to apply, if AfA Prefs doesn't work for you it means it didn't run correctly, trust me.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 June 2020 at 21:09.
Old 14 June 2020, 21:18   #100
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
I can't test 1920 x 1080 resolution because my monitor doesn't provide those resolutions, but it shouldn't change anything, AfA OS adds more modern features to the Workbench.

On Amilator (AfA OS) i also tested resolutions above1024x768 without encountering any problems, AmikiX like other modern Distributions all use AfA OS.

AfA OS has an incomplete automatic installation, then you still need to do some manual compiling.

My tutorial is simplified and easy to apply, if AfA Prefs doesn't work for you it means it didn't run correctly, trust me.
I watched your video and followed it to the letter. Then I went over it TWICE when it screwed up my Workbench and ran it again, checked the startup-sequence additions carefully, and its Prefs failed to do anything. Trust me, I didn't miss any steps. Good grief, there's not that much to the installation shown in your video. What's more likely is I'm running updated libs that are incompatible with your install.

We should probably move this discussion elsewhere as it is off-topic.