English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 02 February 2020, 18:11   #1
DamienD
Banned

Descent: Freespace - The Great War

Heya guys,

Trying to setup this game and see how it runs via WinUAE on Workbench 3.1 with RTG: Descent: Freespace - The Great War

Unfortunately the installer errors out at 90%; I've tried numerous times and different configuration settings:

Anyone know what's going on / how to rectify?
Old 02 February 2020, 18:29   #2
DamienD
Banned

Ok, the seems to be due to "wizard.library".

I've now copied that manually to the "SYS:Libs" and will reinstall.
Old 02 February 2020, 18:44   #3
DamienD
Banned

Yup, that's fixed it

...but obviously I haven't actually purchased this game as yet (as I wanted to see if / how it runs on Classic OS 3.1); and so don't have a serial number to complete

Oh well.
Old 02 February 2020, 19:16   #4
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I never followed this Amiga version but always thought it was "only" a binary requiring the PC datas files.
Old 02 February 2020, 19:30   #5
DamienD
Banned

Ok, managed to find a serial number somewhere and have now installed / setup the game

One thing that was weird; in the "ReadMe" it mentioned that for Classic OS 3.1 you need to install VMM... I just tried anyway and all was working fine. Should I install this anyway?

Must say, it looks absolutely amazing and runs very well in WinUAE even with the "Very High" settings (I'm using a 68040 CPU / Fastest possible / JIT)

I'll probably purchase this now.

Last edited by DamienD; 02 February 2020 at 19:35.
Old 02 February 2020, 21:10   #6
Daedalus

It's an excellent game, and I completed it on my A1200 with an 060/66 and Voodoo3 card. Pretty sure it supports an analogue stick too, which is excellent. It struggled with the detail at the highest, but was surprisingly playable with mid-level settings, considering how complex a game it is. I guess the VMM thing is because it's a big game and needs large chunks of contiguous RAM, but I never used it either and didn't have any issues. I did have 256MB in the 1200 though..
Old 03 February 2020, 11:32   #7
Valken

Would love to see this on the Amiga. I played it on the PC. I own it in fact but use the modern version of the source ports.
Old 03 February 2020, 13:22   #8
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^ The second episode is not bad (own both PC boxed copy) but prefer the 1st one as I net-played it the most.
Old 05 February 2020, 01:40   #9
DamienD
Banned

Man, this installer on Descent: Freespace - The Great War is really messed up

Besides what I've already mentioned regarding "wizard.library" and the installer crashing out unless you copy this file over to your hard drive's "Libs" folder from the CD-ROM prior to installation...

Note: I did a full install with movies / cutscenes etc. so in theory, you shouldn't need the CD-ROM anymore

If I start the game via "FSLaunch" and select "View Readme" I get an error

After further investigation, the "readme.txt" is never copied over to the hard drive...

Took a look at the CD-ROM and these important files are also not copied across:

Code:
Analog_Joysticks.txt
Analog_Joysticks.txt.info
LICENCE
LICENCE.info
readme.guide
readme.guide.info
readme.txt
readme.txt.info
refcard.rtf
VMM_readme.txt
VMM_readme.txt.info
Anyway, I'll fix in my .HDF tomorrow... it's getting late now
Old 05 February 2020, 14:50   #10
appiah4

Wait, what, this game exists for the Amiga?.. *mindblown*
Old 05 February 2020, 14:54   #11
Daedalus

Yep, commercial release and all. One of the few games that really made use of everything you could throw at it. This, Payback and Earth 2140 were favourites of mine back then, all making use of the 060 and Voodoo 3.

Freespace 2 was also ported to NG Amigas when it was open-sourced a few years ago - played that through under PPC/OS4, another great game!
Old 05 February 2020, 19:26   #12
DamienD
Banned

Ah, much better

Old 01 October 2020, 12:53   #13
Fiery Phoenix

Is there a .HDF for this? I can't see the DamienD Uploads in the Google Mirror Drive (maybe me being a tool)

I gave it a ago today - day off from work and decided to give this a bash - the excitement lol

I too am getting the Unpack error - waiting for disk activity to finish. However my install stops at 40%

Tried putting the wizard.library file from the extracted CDROM image into Libs - no joy here

I have tried installing straight from the CD and also from the folder after the contents were extracted (adding a directory in drives) same problem with both!

May need to PM you DamienD for the link to your WinUAE collection download - whether this is included in it or not - looks great
Old 01 October 2020, 20:02   #14
gulliver
BoingBagged

If any skilled developer is interested in further optimizing this game to run faster under lower specced machines, I can patch them with Hyperion to make an arrangement with them and get it officially going.

It was about two months ago, as a side conversation that they told me if I knew someone that had the interest/skill to pull it off.

So, just in case I thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 28 March 2021, 17:20   #15
Patrickx1989

I was playing Freespace on WinUAE today and, unfortunately, I ran into a quite serious problem. At mission two (campaign mission, not the trainings), after about 1 minute, the game suddenly freezes and reacts to nothing anymore. Only thing left to do is press F12 and shut down the emulator. Because this happens exactly when the first asteroid explodes on screen, I first suspected an out-of-memory problem, so I turned up the memories in RAM. However, the problem persists. This is also not a one-time problem, but happens every time, regardless if I load the beginning of mission 2 or play the game again from mission one. I tried it 3 times, always freezes. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 28 March 2021, 18:30   #16
Daedalus

I vaguely remember having a similar issue back in the day. It was related to an asteroid texture being corrupted or something, but it was fixed with a patch IIRC. I definitely sorted it anyway and went on to complete the game on my 060/Voodoo-3 setup. Have you installed it from the original CD? Did you install any updates?
Old 28 March 2021, 18:57   #17
Patrickx1989

Yes, I think that would be it! I am playing without any patches from a .hdf, created after an install with the original CD (someone gave me this). Do you happen to have the patches or know where I could get them? I find them neither on the Hyperion website (probably the game is too old) nor when googling.
Old 28 March 2021, 20:41   #18
Daedalus

I'd have to see if I can dig it up when I'm next on that machine, but if it's not on Aminet it should still be around somewhere I'd have thought. You need to register products with Hyperion to access updates, which probably explains why you can't see it there.

In the meantime, have you tried dropping the quality settings to see if that helps get past that point? You can always turn them back up afterwards.
Old 28 March 2021, 20:53   #19
zipper

Those updates from that H site zoned now.
Old 28 March 2021, 23:33   #20
d4rk3lf

One of the games I will definitely play, if I acquire powerful enough Amiga.
I can imagine how this looked back in the day (because, even today, it looks very nice to me).
I've played Freespace 2 on the PC, back in the day, and it looked like some game from the future.
These explosions man... the quality was insane, even they were "just" videos played on textures... still...

... what the heck.. I'll play it in Winuae, then once more, after I acquire faster Amiga.