English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 August 2009, 11:50   #21
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Win7 64-bit is the future no matter how many people (or only IC ) think otherwise, and they can't do anything about it
Old 17 August 2009, 11:53   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@Shoonay
You're begging for a 'Captain Obvious' don't you?
Btw : Why isn't this a poll?
Old 17 August 2009, 12:00   #23
Maren
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONEY View Post
In my opinion an OS that comes with the Amiga files system already in the kernel is the right choice, so I say linux.
Supposedly desktop-oriented Linux distros are useless for everyone but kernel-editing gurus with loads of spare time to waste, and using wine, which more often than not, hates emulators, would kind of defeat the practically nonexistent purpose of running Linux.

If you want an alternative to Windows that's compatible with the Amiga file system, then get AROS (when it's done) and hope they do a good job integrating WinUAE code into it.
Old 17 August 2009, 12:05   #24
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Win7 64-bit is the future no matter how many people (or only IC ) think otherwise, and they can't do anything about it
Who cares what the future is?

Well, many do, but I don't. I just want a OS that does what I need, that is fast and runs everything, and also cheap... all those are XP

Getting newer OS now is just dumb.... but if you are not as pro as I am, then it doesn't matter I guess...... I play around with video editing, codecs, several different sensitive programs.... they were fail when I tried Vista, and I bet not everything I do works 100% on Win7 either...

so, XP ftw, everything works, it's faster, cheaper and one-gazillion more things.

But that's just me I guess..... I feel sorry for the people who go other ways because so many people don't know better and therefore give them bad advice. They don't take everything in consideration... only ONE thing on their mind "it's the latest and the future"... bah... this is just like the stuff I said in the "Why do I hate everything" thread, where today's people don't give a crap about older games, they won't even try them.... all they want is nice graphics...
Old 17 August 2009, 12:06   #25
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
@Shoonay
You're begging for a 'Captain Obvious' don't you?
Maybe, who knows... when's the graduation ceremony?

On the serious note: This may be obvious to some of us, but reading some of the responses here a few people don't realise that... ...yet!
Old 17 August 2009, 12:09   #26
Maren
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
XP ftw, everything works, it's faster, cheaper and one-gazillion more things
What's the ftw version all about? never heard of it.
Old 17 August 2009, 12:15   #27
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
this is just like the stuff I said in the "Why do I hate everything" thread, where today's people don't give a crap about older games, they won't even try them.... all they want is nice graphics...
Hello!

*knock knock*

/me bonks IC on the head

Is anyone there?

Playing OLD games on OLD hardware and using OLD software or MODERN hardware are slightly... DIFFERENT things imho
Though it doesn't surprise me you don't understand it...
Old 17 August 2009, 12:17   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
But that's just me I guess..... I feel sorry for the people who go other ways because so many people don't know better and therefore give them bad advice. They don't take everything in consideration... only ONE thing on their mind "it's the latest and the future"... bah... this is just like the stuff I said in the "Why do I hate everything" thread, where today's people don't give a crap about older games, they won't even try them.... all they want is nice graphics...
It's exactly the other way around IC You aren't able to move on and ignoring the fact that things develop. Since you only use old software that's fine for you. Wonder why you aren't using Windows 2000 or Windows 98SE anymore. Surely they are a lot faster than XP on your machine...

@Maren
ftw = for the win... well, at least that's what the abbreviation stands for
Old 17 August 2009, 12:20   #29
Maren
Banned

For the win? still clueless but thanks anyways
Old 17 August 2009, 12:22   #30
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
It's exactly the other way around IC
See, told ya, with some people even Captain Obvious mode is not enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
For the win? still clueless but thanks anyways
See here
Old 17 August 2009, 12:27   #31
Maren
Banned

Now I get it. "Windows XP for the win" sounded like a horrible redundancy and the prospects of "Windows XP for the mac" or "Windows XP for the linux" weren't making that much sense either
Old 17 August 2009, 12:28   #32
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I thought the topic was about best OS for WinUAE..

Windows 7 x64 is the "ultimate" OS for WinUAE because it is developed on Windows 7 x64.

The older the OS, the less I care if someone reports some possible bug. XP is getting close to "I am not interested" status, at least without including perfect bug report.

It is not good idea to compare early Vista experiences to XP because early Vista drivers really sucked 100x. Bluescreens here and there and more.. (it wasn't fun experience..)

"Pro" software: I agree, XP may still be the best choice, at least as long as XP is supported. Special cases are always special cases.

btw, warning: this won't become "My OS is bigger than your OS" fight. (see topic)
Old 17 August 2009, 13:24   #33
KONEY
OctaMED Music Composer

What I meant is that XP/vista/W7 are nearly the same if it comes to just run Winuae, while linux, with the ability to access amiga HDs without even running uae, is a choice that someone wanting to emulate the Amiga should consider.
Old 17 August 2009, 13:50   #34
Lockon
Air supremacy

No, you got it all wrong.
Re-read the topic post again.
"...Ultimate WinUAE machine...."

What's the advantage of Linux being able to recognize Amiga HDs if you're not using the latest development tree of UAE ?
Old 17 August 2009, 14:26   #35
kipper2k

I would definately stay away from Vista, there is a good reason M$ are replacing it with Vista so soon. Windows7 looks suspiciously like Vista redressed and repackaged. I am running the professional version of Vista and it sits at about 4 gig on the HD so its quite a big OS. Driver support wasnt too bad for the old laptop i installed it on. It seems as computers get faster MS come out with another OS to try to slow them down. I am quite happy with XP Pro although you know support will start to trail off soon. Eventually you will have to upgrade so if you gonna buy a new OS i would go with Win7. If you have a copy of XP around use that. or finally... Dualboot, get the best/worst of both worlds, hard drives are so cheap nowadays you have options there too
Old 17 August 2009, 14:33   #36
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Windows7 looks suspiciously like Vista redressed and repackaged.
Here's a news flash: because it is Vista and M$ never hid it!
With a slightly changed 6.1 core it fixes a lot of Vista-bugs, gives us DX10 and... introduces some minor compatibility problems
(All that from a simple user's point of view)

Next Ultimate OS will be Windows 8 in 2012 with a really changed 7.0 core
Old 17 August 2009, 14:56   #37
Ian
Global Moderator

Kipper2k has a point until you realise Windows 7 is faster in 90% (I say 90% because there's bound to be something 1 nerd is going to do in the world that is slower) of all tasks that Vista is on the same hardware.

Vista is a good operating system when fully patched up. People banging on about XP seem to have forgotten how shite that was before the service packs too.
Old 17 August 2009, 18:29   #38
KONEY
OctaMED Music Composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockon View Post
What's the advantage of Linux being able to recognize Amiga HDs if you're not using the latest development tree of UAE ?
I don't really need to explain how comfortable it is to plug your Amiga HD and manage it as a normal device, something missing from the "latest development tree of UAE"...

I run the emulation very satisfactory with my setup and this advantage plays a good role, thought someone might find it interesting, beyond the topic exact meaning.
Old 17 August 2009, 20:23   #39
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Just so I am clear. I don't care how good the OS is.

All I care about is which OS runs WinUAE the fastest without crashing.

I will be using onboard gfx chip if that makes any difference?

My friend will be building the computer for me because I don't trust retail PCs. In my experience they always have all kinds of CRAP installed on them that looks like spyware to me.

I do have a free copy of WinXP sitting here that I could use. WindowsXP seems "ok" to me (translation: it doesn't crash much).

If I go with Windows7 do I install the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version?

I am unclear if WinUAE can run under a fully 64-bit OS.
Old 17 August 2009, 20:26   #40
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Windows 7 x64 is the "ultimate" OS for WinUAE because it is developed on Windows 7 x64.
There is you answer by the developer himself