English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 04 November 2012, 01:23   #1
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Exclamation Linux - Joystick and Disk Issues

Great emulator, unfortunately I'm running into 2 blockers at the moment:

Gamepad isn't working. It lets me select the joypad (by name) as the Josystick in FS-UAE, but nothing responds to it, no buttons I press have any effect. The joypad is in XBox mode and reports itself as a "Generic XBox Pad" so it should be nice and common, but it doesn't seem to respond at all. Works off the bat in all other emulators so something is a little odd.

DMESG if it's helpful:
Code:
[    1.498365] Registered led device: xpad0
[    1.498432] input: Generic X-Box pad as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.5/2-1.5:1.0/input/input3
[    1.498668] usbcore: registered new interface driver xpad
Second is Disks. I launch FS-UAE through Wahcade which starts FS-UAE via the command line by sending it a disk image, that works fine, but when an application asks for Disk 2, I can't select it because I only have an option to eject the disk, I can't actually select another disk. Am I missing something obvious here?
Old 04 November 2012, 11:13   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enverex View Post
Great emulator, unfortunately I'm running into 2 blockers at the moment:

Gamepad isn't working. It lets me select the joypad (by name) as the Josystick in FS-UAE, but nothing responds to it, no buttons I press have any effect. The joypad is in XBox mode and reports itself as a "Generic XBox Pad" so it should be nice and common, but it doesn't seem to respond at all. Works off the bat in all other emulators so something is a little odd.

DMESG if it's helpful:
Code:
[    1.498365] Registered led device: xpad0
[    1.498432] input: Generic X-Box pad as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.5/2-1.5:1.0/input/input3
[    1.498668] usbcore: registered new interface driver xpad
FS-UAE requires a configuration file for the joystick. A set of configurations are bundled with FS-UAE, but not for your gamepad. FS-UAE Launcher has a graphical tool for mapping buttons (and saving to config). Go to settings, and "Configure Joystick Buttons". You can also create a configuration manually: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/custom-co...-configuration

Which reminds me, FS-UAE should print a on-screen warning if there is no configuration for the chosen joystick device

Quote:
Second is Disks. I launch FS-UAE through Wahcade which starts FS-UAE via the command line by sending it a disk image, that works fine, but when an application asks for Disk 2, I can't select it because I only have an option to eject the disk, I can't actually select another disk. Am I missing something obvious here?
FS-UAE only shows floppy_image_x disks in the swap list. (When using the launcher, disks in drives are automatically added to the swap list before FS-UAE is started. I may implemented this directly in FS-UAE as well, so that the image list is automatically populated if not specified).

See "Manually Configuring a Multi-Disk Game" in http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/floppy-images.

--floppy-drive-0=disk1.adf --floppy-image-0=disk1.adf --floppy-drive-1=disk1.adf --floppy-image-1=disk1.adf (etc) will make the disks appear in the swap list.
Old 04 November 2012, 19:21   #3
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I'll create a config to get the joypad working then, that should fix that.

Regarding the command line, that's not going to work, as Wahcade simply lists all the files of a certain type in a folder, in this instance ADF files, and passes the one you select to the emulator. Therefore you couldn't specify multiple disks like that. I can't really think of any GUI frontends that would (it basically acts like the machine's interface so you can control it entirely with a joypad).
Old 04 November 2012, 19:33   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
I'll create a config to get the joypad working then, that should fix that.
Oh, and please send me it afterwards, so I can include it in the distribution (use the FS-UAE Launcher interface to create the config, if possible).

Quote:
Regarding the command line, that's not going to work, as Wahcade simply lists all the files of a certain type in a folder, in this instance ADF files, and passes the one you select to the emulator. Therefore you couldn't specify multiple disks like that. I can't really think of any GUI frontends that would (it basically acts like the machine's interface so you can control it entirely with a joypad).
Well, the FS-UAE Frontend does this -I don't know anything about Wahcade. But I assume you are able to specify that --floppy-drive-0= should be prepended to the first file, --floppy-drive-1= to the second, etc.

If FS-UAE automatically added floppy drive images to the swap list, that would work then - but not if you have more images than floppy drives. For example, Monkey Island 2.. -or when a game with multiple disks only work with one drive.

I suppose I could make FS-UAE accept floppy images as program arguments:
Code:
fs-uae disk1.adf disk2.adf disk3.adf disk4.adf disk5.adf
and add all images to the swap disk as well as inserting as many images as possible into floppy drives, and where you limit the floppy drives like this:
Code:
fs-uae --floppy-drive-count=1 disk1.adf disk2.adf disk3.adf...
Another bi-effect of this is that if would be possible to "open" ADF files directly in FS-UAE, which is primarily why I have been thinking about implementing this.
Old 04 November 2012, 19:43   #5
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Wahcade only lets you specify the generic arguments for the application, i.e. "fs-uae --fullscreen" and it only sends one other argument which is the name of the file you've selected, so unfortunately unless I can change the disk to any in the disks folder, it still won't be of any use.

I assume I can't navigate the FS-UAE frontend with a joypad though? The reason people use Wahcade is that it lets you browse through your libraries for different emulators and start games from a list that way.

See this for an example of what I mean - [ Show youtube player ] - essentially only emulators that you can start without their own frontends are of any use, else you get stuck needing to switch back to a keyboard and mouse.
Old 04 November 2012, 19:51   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I understand. In this case, it won't work very well with FS-UAE right now, as there is no file system floppy browser yet and so it would only work with one-disk games. Another option would be to create .fs-uae configuration files for games and browse / open those instead of ADFs.

FS-UAE Launcher is not usable with gamepads, it is a traditional mouse+keyboard UI. There's another gamepad-controllable frontend for browsing games in the pipeline though.
Old 05 November 2012, 12:29   #7
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Ah I see, I did wonder what was going on with the lack of a file browser. Is there any intention of adding one at some point? I saw a config option somewhere of specifying the disk folder so I was expecting everything in there to show up on the list where EJECT is found.
Old 05 November 2012, 20:04   #8
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

A disk browser in FS-UAE is by no means useless and there is no reason why it shouldn't be included, but implementing a good disk browsing GUI is a bit of work and the bottom line is that I have been busy implementing other stuff (tm) instead

Often, you also need to change other emulator settings at the same time anyway (AGA game <-> OCS games?), so a disk browser alone is not always sufficient if one want to use the disk browser to switch to other games. Also, I think many people really want a *game* browser when they request a disk browser.

For game/media centre use, the following might be a better use of time (for me):
- Implement a good game database solution: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66335.
- Integrate FS Game Center (http://fengestad.no/fs-game-center/screenshot.png) with this database.

(Btw, floppies_dir is used to specify where relative floppy image paths are looked up relative to -or rather, to override the default floppies_dir..).