English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 April 2020, 01:05   #1
ZEUSDAZ

R-TYPE vs R-TYPE II - Which is Best?

Well folks It's that time of the month again for another "Which is Best?" vote, this month I'm asking which of the first 2 R-Type games (arcade) in your opinion is the better game.

Voting closes 15th May, happy voting and commenting

R-TYPE vs R-TYPE II promo video: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by ZEUSDAZ; 02 July 2022 at 00:55.
Old 21 April 2020, 01:19   #2
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I think you included the wrong video... [ i see barbarian II speedrun and a nice view of the Whittaker hils ^^ ]
Old 21 April 2020, 01:23   #3
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
I think you included the wrong video... [ i see barbarian II speedrun and a nice view of the Whittaker hils ^^ ]

Ha lol, yeah just noticed that, It's now changed to R-type
Old 21 April 2020, 01:45   #4
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

This is a conflicted one for me; R-Type 1 is one of my absolute favorite games in the arcade and i did expect nothing but a 1:1 port on the Amiga; was still good and made by Factor 5 but missed some nice particulars (parallax, destructable ship in stage 3, better colors and better use of the two channels by the music); the 2 was a mixed bag in the arcades; technically better than the first but had that deja-vu factor and the super Beam did not improve too much as weapon.
Amiga port is another mixed bag: they did try really bad to port everything and generally work is good plus has parallax, however i can see some parts are rushed like the uneven shades in level 2 and there were some slowdowns; the Martin Walker Music is interesting and give a very singular feeling.
However at the end i feel the first R-Type is a more balanced product.
Old 21 April 2020, 06:23   #5
Nobby_UK

Got to go with the Original
Old 21 April 2020, 10:11   #6
nikosidis

I completed R-Type II on my A500 back in the day so it got to be that one. I don't have the same relationship with nr.1 but I see today that the first one got a better port to Amiga. Like saimon69 say, there are quite some slowdowns in nr.2. I played a lot of arcade games back in the day but don't remember I ever seen R-Type.
Old 21 April 2020, 10:44   #7
roondar

I already voted on your channel (so don't count this or I'll have voted twice ), but I just have to say R-Type. I absolutely love the original R-Type in it's many forms. For some reason, R-Type 2 never had the same impact on me.
Old 21 April 2020, 12:18   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I have to go with R-Type 2, for the very dumb reason that I played that long before the original and like it more because of that. But despite that, I do dislike that the game was so incredibly similar to the original. If I had played them in close proximity to each other I would probably be voting differently today. But you know, first loves stick with you for life.
Old 21 April 2020, 12:56   #9
vulture

R-Type II
Old 21 April 2020, 12:57   #10
Fiery Phoenix

R-Type for me - never liked the additional (longer held) special weapon on the 2nd

Plus I think the levels on the first are more iconic, boss at the end of the first stage and the great level where you take out parts of the giant ship
Old 21 April 2020, 13:14   #11
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

R-Type 1 of course. The best R-Type ever was R-Type Leo though. Great Arcade game.
Old 21 April 2020, 15:23   #12
dreadnought

R-Type Leo is a pure gfx-gasm, full of WTF moments. No, wait, this could be said for all of them actually.

Yeah, I just love all the R-Types*...the whole series has a consistently high quality fx and gameplay. So I couldn't choose the best one, though the original will always be the most iconic game, obviously...kind of "Where were you when you first played it" thingy (and here's the obligatory shout-out to the monumental effort that was the ZX Spectrum port...unbelievable coding feat)

*including the turn based PSP strategy, what a great idea for a spin-off.
Old 21 April 2020, 15:48   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

R-Type.

Game of its time and the Amiga got a pretty decent conversion, especially when you consider Factor 5 had limited time to get it done.

R-Type 2 I actually have a healthy amount of respect for. I really wasn't expecting much when I was it was by Arc Developments, but they actually gave it a good shout.

The hardware sprites parallax backdrop in the first level was a nice touch, it showed that there was an attempt to not simply do an ST port.

For me its got to be R-Type.
Old 21 April 2020, 18:36   #14
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
R-Type.

Game of its time and the Amiga got a pretty decent conversion, especially when you consider Factor 5 had limited time to get it done.

R-Type 2 I actually have a healthy amount of respect for. I really wasn't expecting much when I was it was by Arc Developments, but they actually gave it a good shout.

The hardware sprites parallax backdrop in the first level was a nice touch, it showed that there was an attempt to not simply do an ST port.

For me its got to be R-Type.
I just was not too fond of some shading details (the problem of being a graphic artist) but else is very close to the arcade as much as possible;

And let me praise another supposed title of Arc Development: Atomic Robo kid; some people don't like it, but i think is very similar as much as possible to the arcade, it has that very particular UPL feeling

Last edited by saimon69; 21 April 2020 at 18:47.
Old 21 April 2020, 19:06   #15
spiff
Oh noes!

Rtype 1, for the music and Sweet battle ship level, and being first

In the hunt, R-type 2, Gunforce, Metal slug all share that distinct low contrast fine gradient Irem style
R-II, on amiga, is just too colour limited after playing the arcade, it feels like a pallet conversion rater than pixel art.

But its a better conversion than I expected, I'm guessing they had access to a board and dumped it.
Old 21 April 2020, 19:26   #16
Dunny

R-Type 1 for me every time. Just an excellent conversion (despite its omissions) and very playable.
Old 21 April 2020, 21:14   #17
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Rtype 1, for the music and Sweet battle ship level, and being first

In the hunt, R-type 2, Gunforce, Metal slug all share that distinct low contrast fine gradient Irem style
R-II, on amiga, is just too colour limited after playing the arcade, it feels like a pallet conversion rater than pixel art.

But its a better conversion than I expected, I'm guessing they had access to a board and dumped it.
Going from hi-res thousands colors to low-res 16 can be traumatic :/ There are some areas i don't like but else they did a good job there
Old 22 April 2020, 09:28   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
And let me praise another supposed title of Arc Development: Atomic Robo kid; some people don't like it, but i think is very similar as much as possible to the arcade, it has that very particular UPL feeling
Atomic Robo Kid would be great, but some of the music makes my ears bleed regardless of which port it is.
Old 28 April 2020, 23:13   #19
ZEUSDAZ

Looks like R-Type 1 is running away with it so far,...still 3wks to go though, maybe R-Type II will have a last moment surge,....possibly.
Old 28 April 2020, 23:27   #20
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Atomic Robo Kid would be great, but some of the music makes my ears bleed regardless of which port it is.
Walker style on the amiga is pretty arpeggio heavy i know ^__^, to me it pretty match the mechanic weirdness and UPL-ness of the game