English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 19 February 2008, 17:15   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

KOEI classic strategy games

I know I'm a mega-nerd for admitting this, but I STILL love playing those old KOEI games on the NES.
You know, L'Empereur, Genghis Khan, Bandit Kings of Ancient China, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Gemfire, Nobunaga's Ambition, etc.

I wonder if anyone else here was ever into them?
Old 19 February 2008, 19:08   #2
Monsterland

Yeah me.. I've played Genghis Khan, Bandit Kings and the Romance series a lot. Especially Bandit kings. I never completed Bandit Kings, got overun by the mongols (?) way before I got into control of the entire map, every time... Genghis Khan on the other hand was a lot easier. Somehow I remember RotTK being rather dull.

I should try L'Empereur and the other titles (which I never heard of)
Old 20 February 2008, 19:12   #3
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

L'Emperuer is unlike most of the other KOEI games because it truly focuses on military matters.
The social/public/economic stuff is not emphasized.
Old 20 February 2008, 23:18   #4
ungi
Amiga Games Historian

I loved Genghis Khan, which I played for months!

I never liked the games playing in Japan (nobunaga) or china (bandit kings, romance) because i couldn´t memorize the names... -> did you know that the pirated amiga version of "romance 2" is corrupt?? it has some serious bugs that lead to a crash. the original doesn´t have these bugs. i payed a lot for the original - only to discover i couldn´t remember all the chinese names :-)).

btw - i have a gemfire (pc, 5 1/4) for sale for 29,- euros. anyone interested?
Old 21 February 2008, 03:34   #5
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Ungi, The Romance of the Three Kingdoms II is not a "corrupt pirate", but a hoax. It supposedly has scrambled data from the Amiga version of some KOEI game, and nothing more.
Old 21 February 2008, 08:02   #6
EmuChicken

"I never liked the games playing in Japan (nobunaga) or china (bandit kings, romance) because i couldn´t memorize the names."

Me neither, the "Romance" series is the worst for this IMO... lau gang lau bang, lau fang... I mean wtf... - but theyre true historical names right? - maybe ;-)

I've been recently getting into the newer PS2 ones- Destiny Warriors 5 Empires, and.. Kessen 3... :>
Old 21 February 2008, 12:11   #7
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

You're getting mixed up. Romance of the Three Kingdoms II is not a hoax.

The hoax KOEI game is Bandit Kings of Ancient China II.
Old 21 February 2008, 20:42   #8
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
You're getting mixed up. Romance of the Three Kingdoms II is not a hoax.

The hoax KOEI game is Bandit Kings of Ancient China II.
Oh yeah, belgium, that's it. Thanks for the correction.
Old 21 February 2008, 21:08   #9
ungi
Amiga Games Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
Oh yeah, belgium, that's it. Thanks for the correction.
hehe, yes, bandit kings 2 is the joke. same as buck rogers 2 :-). but romance 2 on the amiga is definitly the real thing.

try to build a fortress on the pirated version.
Old 02 March 2008, 23:05   #10
GenghisKhanFan

Hello!!!!
Wau i am very happy to find out there is more GenghisKhan fans out there.Well i like Genghis Khan from Koei 1988.I think it is the best strategy ever.I know the graphics sucks,the music is nothing much,it is the DOS system,...but who cares all that.It is the soul of the game that it is immportant.At the begining the game can be very hard,so there is not quick way of learn this game,but years and years of playing we can become a masters of this game.I mean it is boring to play against the computer because the computer is very predictable( i hope i write this correct haha-english is not my language),so it is better to play against other players.It is like a chess.We all have three turns or just one turn if this is not a capital country.So it will be nice to make a tournament of playing this Genghis Khan game from Koei 1988,because the second part of Genghis Khan is not so good.So that is why i write Koei 1988 so that you all can see i talk about the first part.So what you say? Maybe we can make a little tournament.Maybe even for cash prizes.Write me back all of you who are interested to play this game.Tell me your ideas for the tournament.Where can we make this tournament?Maybe we collect an enterence monney for play this game like 50 euro or something,and than the winner take all.So what you say????Lets play this game and see who is the best in the world?????

Old 10 March 2009, 09:50   #11
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisKhanFan View Post
Hello!!!!
Wau i am very happy to find out there is more GenghisKhan fans out there.Well i like Genghis Khan from Koei 1988.I think it is the best strategy ever.I know the graphics sucks,the music is nothing much,it is the DOS system,...but who cares all that.It is the soul of the game that it is immportant.At the begining the game can be very hard,so there is not quick way of learn this game,but years and years of playing we can become a masters of this game.I mean it is boring to play against the computer because the computer is very predictable( i hope i write this correct haha-english is not my language),so it is better to play against other players.It is like a chess.We all have three turns or just one turn if this is not a capital country.So it will be nice to make a tournament of playing this Genghis Khan game from Koei 1988,because the second part of Genghis Khan is not so good.So that is why i write Koei 1988 so that you all can see i talk about the first part.So what you say? Maybe we can make a little tournament.Maybe even for cash prizes.Write me back all of you who are interested to play this game.Tell me your ideas for the tournament.Where can we make this tournament?Maybe we collect an enterence monney for play this game like 50 euro or something,and than the winner take all.So what you say????Lets play this game and see who is the best in the world?????
I just sold you to some old faggot down by the alley where all the fat weirdos hang out.
For 2 bob, no less.
Old 10 March 2009, 12:00   #12
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Fop View Post
I just sold you to some old faggot down by the alley where all the fat weirdos hang out.
For 2 bob, no less.
Hey fat weirdo, I played two or three KOEI games on PC and I never liked them, for their complexness.
Old 10 March 2009, 12:03   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFan View Post
Hey fat weirdo, I played two or three KOEI games on PC and I never liked them, for their dullness.
Fixed
Old 10 March 2009, 12:14   #14
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Fixed
You kept their in the quote, you are lucky guy

These games are very dull in the beginning and you have to get into them, not in hour or two but day or two. In old days I didnt have a lot of time for getting into these games and now I dont have a lot of time for getting into these games

If you are "real-strategy" weirdo or fat american weirdo, its definitely your cup of tea, I am not and I dont play these games. I prefer Powermonger, Warlords 1+2, Dune 2 etc.
Old 14 March 2009, 05:50   #15
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Fixed
You're a dick. Koei games require thinking and are very deep.
Old 14 March 2009, 08:58   #16
Monsterland

They do require thinking (like almost everything we do) but they are not really very deep compared to nowadays turn based strategy games for the pc.
Old 14 March 2009, 09:15   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Fop View Post
You're a dick. Koei games require thinking and are very deep.
Thank you sir! Guess there have to be something about these games when you defend them so passionate and I really should find out about it... then again maybe not. There are so many nice strategy games and then there are KOEI games. Well each to their own I guess
Old 14 March 2009, 12:57   #18
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Thank you sir! Guess there have to be something about these games when you defend them so passionate and I really should find out about it... then again maybe not. There are so many nice strategy games and then there are KOEI games. Well each to their own I guess
TCD, try to understand Fred. He is old and he needs something boring and slow, sorry, deep. The young powerful guys play real games. Pity Fred
Old 14 March 2009, 14:14   #19
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFan View Post
TCD, try to understand Fred. He is old and he needs something boring and slow, sorry, deep. The young powerful guys play real games. Pity Fred
Nobody can understand Fred. But when it comes to taste in (retro) games, he is more wise than most of us. Show some respect mister!
Old 14 March 2009, 19:28   #20
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Nobody can understand Fred. But when it comes to taste in (retro) games, he is more wise than most of us. Show some respect mister!
I respect Fred, no word about that. I'm tired.