English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 30 January 2006, 18:00   #1
StarEye
Zone Friend

Rating system?

Wouldn't it be nice if we/you had a rating system on HOL? Like the abandonware site "Home of the Underdog" you could have a "rate this game" curtain where you could rate a game from 1-10? After a while, the rating would/could be pretty accurate, as more and more people vote.
Old 30 January 2006, 18:03   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

or unaccurate as ppl vote 10 for their fave games and 1 for all the others..

This happened on LemonAmiga and resulted in some voters being banned (I think) and Kim having to remove their votes..
Old 30 January 2006, 18:28   #3
StarEye
Zone Friend

But if EVERYONE did that, then it'd be accurate and even itself out

I see the problem though, but it should be all up to the reader if he wants to believe the rating or not. As long as they have a counter on the rating, and maybe even a comments section, I'm sure it would be fine if given enough time.
Old 17 March 2006, 19:00   #4
scifi
Resurrected...

Thumbs up I agree...

It should be very helpfull to express your opinion and rate the games.

The vote is something subjective from it's nature but I think that many people, especialy those that are new to Amiga World, can have an idea what was the expecations for every game that was released back then in order to become hits!

A short comment in a comments' section for the rating would be a spark for discussion
Old 28 August 2006, 15:56   #5
gizmomelb

Why not have the review rating that the games were given by all the magazines?

And list the magazines too of course.. so you could have:

ACE - 80%
THE ONE - 90%
Amiga Format - 65%
etc.
Old 28 August 2006, 21:24   #6
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
Wouldn't it be nice if we/you had a rating system on HOL? Like the abandonware site "Home of the Underdog" you could have a "rate this game" curtain where you could rate a game from 1-10? After a while, the rating would/could be pretty accurate, as more and more people vote.
Was just wondering that the other day...

Then we could have best game per style... Action\Platform\Adventure\Racing.

Browsing in such a fashion may be easier for unkonwledgeable people about the Amiga. Giving them a top 5 or 10 about each style, a taste of what the Amiga could do.

There could even be rating per sound, gfx, playability. If people not knowing what was the best GFX or Sound available on the Amiga, they could easily following those top lists and ratings.
Old 28 August 2006, 21:26   #7
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb
Why not have the review rating that the games were given by all the magazines?

And list the magazines too of course.. so you could have:

ACE - 80%
THE ONE - 90%
Amiga Format - 65%
etc.
That's a great idea too.
Old 29 August 2006, 08:19   #8
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Yep, that is quite an interesting idea!
Old 29 August 2006, 10:47   #9
Marcuz

i'm rethinking the idea, i don't think it is actually useful:
after years of polls here on the board, pretty much all of them with the same scope, you can easily see that there's no one game that has the same reception to all the fans. it is the base of democracy that people have the right to different opinion; so you go to votes and have, after them are accounted, results that not clearly states a thing or its contrary.

let's say you have a scale from 1 to 10, and the game is Lionhart, that for many is a masterwork and for many is utterly crap (check the thread about it).
the formers will vote 10, the latters will vote 3 (for the good graphics maybe). in the results you'll have a medium vote of 6,5. that makes lionhart a 6.5? no! it is actually a 10 or a 3 depending to you.
so if you are new to the amiga these results are misleading, and if you know the amiga scene just enough to manage the results and try nevertheless a game that's 6,5 because you have maybe heard good things about it etc, then you don't need the votation system in the first place. heck, you have a good board to check for impressions on a game anyway!
lastly there's the matter of competence and equanimity, as said by Bippym: in the magazine reviews you have votes along a big and lenghty commentary of the game, and you actually give it credit for the money you payed the magazine. that's the lenght of your trust anyway. maybe it's not always a good review too! but that's it, they are professionals at least. what's the use of an anonimous votation without much tought behind it?
Old 27 September 2006, 17:26   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I still think we should have a ratings system, so what if the game doesn't reflect your personal taste, that's not the point of group voting. If many people vote, the idea is that people have a general idea of what to play. I find scores really helpful when first playing a new system or new games I might take a look into.

I'd love HOL to have a rating system. Yes, maybe you'll have to disallow new posters with below a certain post count, but I'd certainly put in the time to vote realistically for the games I've played. I also know for a fact there are a lot of people on EAB who would also vote sensibly.

You'd have to tie the membership system of EAB in to HOL though as HOL would need a way of knowing who's regged their vote and who hasn't.
Old 27 September 2006, 18:31   #11
Marcuz

would you really play/try games based on a vote system on HOL? i would not. but that's me.
Old 27 September 2006, 18:35   #12
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I second marco's opinion.

Just check what mess Gamespot rating is at the moment.

Some games have high rating as sensless kids voted for them, while some true classics have low rating thanks to unbiased user base.
Old 27 September 2006, 18:41   #13
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
The HOL will have a rating system "soon" - however, it's not based on user votes.
Old 27 September 2006, 18:49   #14
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
would you really play/try games based on a vote system on HOL? i would not. but that's me.
Yes I would. I am constantly asking about games which I've never played before and simply going on screenshots is not always handy. (take Transplant for example).

Gamespot it pure ugly, slow... evil.

And you could rule out useless kid votes by limiting who can vote.

I'd love HOL to have it. That is all.
Old 27 September 2006, 19:58   #15
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
The HOL will have a rating system "soon" - however, it's not based on user votes.
well that kinda close the arguments from me, you fun spoiler

@KillerGorilla: check my reasons why it would be a bad idea to me: it's not a matter of unconscientious votes. my reason go along this way:
democracy is not a good system to find the truth, but it is a good system to rule a people.
for the fact that is (for the foreseeable future respect to a given point, in the immediate) a less punitive and more open way tu rule a nation, then it is needed as a governement rule. it is unavoidable to choose the less damaging of means in that particular case, when the goal is to be pursued at any cost (self preservation of a society) and the means are only the ones accountd (the various government forms).
differently, in the knowledge process, neither facts nor truth are pursued (i don't say found) by meaning of a democratic way. so to speak. i need to go out more.
Old 27 September 2006, 20:23   #16
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:

@KillerGorilla: check my reasons why it would be a bad idea to me: it's not a matter of unconscientious votes. my reason go along this way:
democracy is not a good system to find the truth, but it is a good system to rule a people.
for the fact that is (for the foreseeable future respect to a given point, in the immediate) a less punitive and more open way tu rule a nation, then it is needed as a governement rule. it is unavoidable to choose the less damaging of means in that particular case, when the goal is to be pursued at any cost (self preservation of a society) and the means are only the ones accountd (the various government forms).
differently, in the knowledge process, neither facts nor truth are pursued (i don't say found) by meaning of a democratic way. so to speak. i need to go out more.
Amiga games are fun.
Old 27 September 2006, 20:26   #17
Marcuz

as i said, too work and no fun makes me silly.
Old 27 September 2006, 23:28   #18
scifi
Resurrected...

Arrow

I agree with KG...

We have to trust HOL and EAB users/members (you, moderators define the criteria) as we have trust in them all these years!!!

A rating system reflects the general idea, it's not infalable, but to everyone of us who wants to have a first and quick contact with a game, helps a great deal.

I don't have much time to play every Amiga game...

A rating system will help me to avoid loosing time...
It's very natural to disagree with many of HOL members' opinions but when it comes to a personal position whatever they say, will not change it!
After all playing Amiga games is just fun!!
Old 28 September 2006, 15:10   #19
Legerdemain

I would not mind a rating system... but depending on how the rating system works I would be more or less sceptical of the ratings.

I often use GameFAQ's reviews to get an idea of what people seem to think of a game in general. If the majority of the reviewers are giving out extremely high scores, to a certain game, I just tend to find those odd ones giving the game a really low score... by reading those 'few' low score reviews through, I think it is rather easy to see if people are giving the game low scores just for the heck of it (you can bet that every hyped game with mainly high scores will get two or three reviewers giving the game a really low score). If those reviews with really low scores seem to have some valid points... then I guess that I, aswell, will find the game lacking in certain areas.

To sum it up... I love ratings... but ratings themselves doesn't say much, according to me... but I wouldn't like to be without them on HOL, if they are to be introduced.
Old 28 September 2006, 18:00   #20
pbareges

Quote:

hey marco you push your luck!! we're only talking about stats to give newbies somewhere to start....i really like lemonamiga ratings but we may improve it by compiling sub-areas ratings + instead of just building ratings based on average, we could consider ratings based on highest votes, other ones based on most controversial games (ie very large distribution of votes)...stats are just a tool, everything is in the amount of details you collect and the way you interpret it!