English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 18 November 2011, 14:36   #1
ancalimon
Supernormal

Mod Competition Pro as a two button joystick

What needs to be done so that I can use one of the buttons as Button b ?

I have a broken Python1 (it supports two different buttons) I could maybe use it to mod the Competition Pro?
Old 18 November 2011, 14:52   #2
Jope
-

Swap in a cable with the missing button b wire in it and connect it all up inside the joystick.

The common ground goes to one pole of every switch, then each direction / fire signal to the other connector of the switch that handles that specific direction or fire..

Open up the joystick, look at the Amiga joystick connector pinouts. It should be pretty much immediately obvious after this. If not, study the pinout and the measure joystick's switches (and how the cable is wired up) with a multimeter until you understand how the joystick works.
Old 05 September 2022, 17:45   #3
Blaqua

I just added 9 pin extension cord (it had 6 cables inside before) to my competition pro, so i can use the second button as individual. At least it worked on my amiga 600. Some1 can correct if this is done wrong.

Old 05 September 2022, 17:57   #4
Daedalus

Yup, that looks fine. You could even add a switch that swaps the button 2 signal between pin 9 and the button 1 signal, so you can switch between original and 2-button modes.
Old 06 September 2022, 09:19   #5
Jope
-

Much more interesting (to me) is, how did you solve the strain relief when using a chopped off extension cord?
Old 06 September 2022, 19:40   #6
Blaqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Much more interesting (to me) is, how did you solve the strain relief when using a chopped off extension cord?

Heat gun and shrink-tubing kit, try to make little gap between so it's tight both ways.

Some1 suggested to use cable tie behind casing, but i didnt feel like needing it.
Old 07 September 2022, 11:33   #7
Jope
-

Cool idea, thanks! I squirted a bunch of hot glue in there like a peasant.. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it gets yanked loose. :-)
Old 07 September 2022, 13:41   #8
Daedalus

I love the diagram Nice idea alright. Sometimes you can save the strain relief from the original cable, other times it's moulded onto the cable. I've managed to recover some by slicing them along their length, then wrapping them around the new cable and gluing them. Not ideal, but it works.
Old 07 September 2022, 14:11   #9
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I usually just tie the entire cable in a knot. It will mostly distribute the strain on the cable sleeve so nothing bad should happen.

IIRC some console pads also used this method straight from the factory.