English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 September 2014, 15:17   #1
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Help looking for old computer magazine sold in UK

I`m looking for a multi-format magazine (I think) that used to print the specs of various machines near the back of the issue, both computers and consoles.. It was a great source of information at the time, and helped settle many nerdy arguments about what machine was best (well on paper anyway). Does this sound familiar to anybody?

I would love to read them again.
Old 23 September 2014, 15:47   #2
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

I think it may of been either Next Generation or the Edge magazine that had this, i remember seeing it also!
Old 23 September 2014, 16:05   #3
amigakit.com

Sounds very much like it was printed in Future Publishing's Edge magazine: http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/
Old 23 September 2014, 16:25   #4
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I don't think it was edge, and next generation doesn't go far back enough..Still looking, looking through editions of "TheOne" at the moment

https://archive.org/details/theone-magazine
Old 23 September 2014, 22:38   #5
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

It could have been quite a few different mags including X Gen, C&VG, Zero, Games TM, The Games Machine or Ultimate Future Games. You can find a lot more besides at www.oldgamemags.com if you click on the multi-format section.
Old 23 September 2014, 22:42   #6
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Man I had totally forgotten about zero; not a bad magazine. Could it have been ACE magazine. That was an excellent magazine, I must say. Well written, fun and ahead of the curve. They often had news items months before other mags; an industry insider they claimed was supplying them with info. I think they had leaked info about streetfighter 3 at the time, but I may remember that wrong.
Old 23 September 2014, 22:58   #7
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

I've done some hunting through Ace and Zero but haven't found the specs sheets section. I can remember reading the max amount of colours the nes , Atari lynx had etc.. Yeah Ace was a good read, you could really sense the energy and enthusiasm from it's production staff.
Old 24 September 2014, 00:40   #8
grim_fandango

Personal Computer News used to have comparison charts at the back.

Old 24 September 2014, 03:58   #9
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

This does vaguely ring a bell...It was hardly amiga user international though; surely a more gamey magazine would do such comparisons. I reckon it was amiga action or possibly 'the One'. It fits their style imo.

Oh man now I miss amiga action, it was fun. I bought the one, amiga action and amiga power every month.
Amiga power became a self indulgent pile of crap towards the end though. I quit buying it and it was almost like that was what the editorial staff wanted to happen. In fact the text was not legible in some issues due to questionable coulour desicions.

When the amiga started to sink only cu amiga and amiga format remained. I bought them instead though normally I never would have. I was a gamer all the way. Cu amiga had a damn good run of it. They were only avaeraging I think about 5,000 readers at one point. A.F closed at around the 5,000 readership mark, if I remember correctly.

Gosh, coverdisks were so much fun. It was the only way to try before you buy. Damn I miss coverdisks. They were filled with so much promise...
Truth be told, some things were precious, before the internet brought a deluge of ubiquity. You didn't have everything at your fingertips so you valued and sucked more joy from what you had.
Old 24 September 2014, 11:52   #10
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

I found the bugger! It was ACE magazine, it seems only to be present in earlier editions. I was starting to think I would never find it!

At their height these publications were really worth every penny, crammed packed with so many new games and promise of amazing new things to come..I can still remember staring at the screen shots of these games, imaging how they would play and sound. Good times

https://archive.org/stream/ace-magaz.../n111/mode/2up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
Gosh, coverdisks were so much fun. It was the only way to try before you buy. Damn I miss coverdisks. They were filled with so much promise...
Truth be told, some things were precious, before the internet brought a deluge of ubiquity. You didn't have everything at your fingertips so you valued and sucked more joy from what you had.
I`m inclined to agree with you mate, I don't want to sound like some old fart that says everything was better in my day, but one can't deny that the internet has killed a lot of the mystery, marvel and dare I say it, worth of how we value these things. The coverdisk was really something to look forward to each month with it's demos, free games, free apps, art and music all bundled together for our indulgence. And who can forget the excitement of the xmas bumper editions, getting four coverdisks on the front of your mag

Last edited by lordofchaos; 24 September 2014 at 12:13.
Old 24 September 2014, 14:24   #11
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
I found the bugger! It was ACE magazine
This wasn't the specs page i was thinking of but glad you found it.

I am sure one of the hard bind magazines like Edge had a specs page as well, and that was what i was thinking of.

It had specs for systems like the Psx, Saturn, CDi, cd32, Snes, Megadrive all side by side over a double page.

But it probably doesn't matter now as you have found what you wanted.
Old 24 September 2014, 15:02   #12
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
This wasn't the specs page i was thinking of but glad you found it.

I am sure one of the hard bind magazines like Edge had a specs page as well, and that was what i was thinking of.

It had specs for systems like the Psx, Saturn, CDi, cd32, Snes, Megadrive all side by side over a double page.

But it probably doesn't matter now as you have found what you wanted.
Hmmm, well that's interesting. Perhaps it was another mag like you say, memories can blend together the further they go back.. Sounds like a better specs page than the one I found. The hunt continues!