English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 22 September 2012, 23:59   #1
Dijerydack

Amithlon vs Aros?

I am thinking of building an Amithlon machine to use as a high end Amiga. I was just wondering how Amithlon and Aros stack up against each other. I get the impression that it would be alot simpler to set up Aros but Amithlon is a better experience. What's the general opinion on such matters?
Old 23 September 2012, 00:08   #2
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
ARos without a dought

lets try not repeat the mistakes of the past
Old 05 October 2012, 11:16   #3
OlafSch

You can also look at my distribution "Aros Vision" that is based on Aros 68k.

http://www.natami-news.de/html/aros_vision.html
http://www.natami-news.de/html/distr..._download.html

it includes preinstalled WHDLoad and if you own original Roms (f.e. from Amigaforever) all games should work. I am just preparing a new version (ready in about two weeks) that will use the "Rom Replacements" in WHDLoad but of course not all games work with it.

General link page:
http://www.natami-news.de/html/support.html

Compatibility-Page (still in work):
http://www.natami-news.de/html/compatibility.html

Sources for gamesin work too)
http://www.natami-news.de/html/games.html
Old 05 October 2012, 11:48   #4
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

They are both very different.

AROS is a whole OS to replace AmigaOS. But includes JanusUAE to run the old games etc

Amithlon is a super 68k emulator that boots AOS 3.xx and allows use of some "modern" PC hardware to boost it. Again need to run some sort of UAE to play games (as it is RTG and not AGA/OCS) but old 68k binaries like CygnusEd etc will work fine

Chalk and cheese IMHO.

AROS is more compatible with modern hardware so easier to try. Amithlon can be a bitch to set up on new hardware. The physical presence of 2Gb or more memory can stop it even booting on many systems (works with my Atom D945GCLF2 though).
Old 05 October 2012, 14:21   #5
fishyfish
Banned

Yeah, I agree with Methanoid. Different kettles of fish.
I wrestled with which to use for quite a while, but after a few years I decided my best option was both

If system friendly 68k software, and a huge amount of software in general is more important to you then amithlon all the way. As much as I like AROS compared to amithlon/os3.9 the only real advantages it has are a better browser and video player. Video isnt an issue on amithlon though between FroggerNG and FFMpeg/FFPlay (ffplay supports more modern formats, but froggerng still works with a surprising amount of video files and is faster than FFMPeg. Full speed 720p video or higher is only really possible with FroggerNG. On those occassions I find something that doesnt work on FroggerNG I'll just convert it using ffmpeg.
Actually I guess AROS' dev. env. is better in some ways too (heck of a lot friendlier at least). Not to mention it has a pretty decent 3d subsystem (amithlon is restricted to using the software rendered wazp3d at the moment).

Funny enough the speed difference isnt often as big as one might suspect. There are exceptions (usually inspired by x86 code base advantages), but there's also times where amithlon, despite running mostly on an emulated cpu is faster than x86 native aros on same hardware. 68k AROS obviously is much slower again, and without the x86 codebase benefit.

Ive mentioned it before, 'cos Im very fond of my Amithlon box, but Im currently running a core2duo@3.86ghz with 1gig dual channel ddr2@1066, g550 matrox gfx (dual head/output is supported), and sb audigy sound card. It absoultey flies no matter what I throw at it

Perhaps if there's interest I'll make a video of it running heavier stuff. FPSE (playstation emu), quake1/2, descent freespace, payback (using wazp3d), euae (I've got it set up so you just need to double click an icon to launch custom chipset software), etc.
One great thing about os3.9 vs AROS is the ability to make custom screenmodes. Not only does it give you more speed when running software full screen (rather than 2x2 pixels, etc.), but its great being able to run mame, amiga, speccy, c64, etc, etc. software in thier native resolutions.

If I had to chose one or the other Id go for amithlon. For my tastes there's still no NG system that can touch OS3.9, fully worked on a decent amithlon box.
It really depends on what you want to do with it though.
Old 16 August 2013, 10:51   #6
Pyromania

Does ARES obsolete both of these?
Old 16 August 2013, 11:08   #7
TCD

I thought that ARES is just a line of 'branded' PCs to support AROS development.
Old 16 August 2013, 11:55   #8
Pyromania

Sorry meant to say AEROS.

http://www.aeros-os.org/
Old 16 August 2013, 12:59   #9
Amiten
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post

Ive mentioned it before, 'cos Im very fond of my Amithlon box, but Im currently running a core2duo@3.86ghz with 1gig dual channel ddr2@1066, g550 matrox gfx (dual head/output is supported), and sb audigy sound card. It absoultey flies no matter what I throw at it

Perhaps if there's interest I'll make a video of it running heavier stuff.
Amithlon is great and for me too its the most closer Amiga real feel instead of Aros .

But configure a stable box its a trip.

@fishyfish
A video of this super Amithlon box runing heavy stuff would be great but please! Teach us how you can build amithlon in yours fine x86 config. now I use a Amd 1.5 ghz and radeon 9200 64mb 1gb sblive Lan and goes fine only in EUAE I cant say Fine is Slow but when I want to install in a power x86 quadcore or Amd64 the boing ball never come and the live amithlon cant boot.

I know Amithlon is dificult to setup....
Old 16 August 2013, 14:51   #10
Amiten
Banned

Other cuestion I Have, what is the real Status of Amithlon? Still develop? New version planned? Any dedicated site? Thanks
Old 17 August 2013, 15:56   #11
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiten View Post
Other cuestion I Have, what is the real Status of Amithlon? Still develop? New version planned? Any dedicated site? Thanks
Amithlon is a dead project as far as the original author and source code goes, development was ceased several years ago. However, there is still updated kernels and drivers being produced by community members, you can find the relevant links on this page: http://www.hd-zone.com/amithlon/
Old 19 August 2013, 23:41   #12
Amiten
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Amithlon is a dead project as far as the original author and source code goes, development was ceased several years ago. However, there is still updated kernels and drivers being produced by community members, you can find the relevant links on this page: http://www.hd-zone.com/amithlon/
Thanks mate for the usefull information