English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 21 November 2010, 21:46   #1
Ze Emulatron

Looking for Compute Games

I am looking for an adf of a disk that had multiple games on it. It was an ADOS disk and could be copied with workbench. The version we had had Compute Games written on the label. I remember they were sorted into categorys.

There was a card category with
Monte Carlo
http://www.atarimagazines.com/comput...onte_Carlo.php
Euchre and Canfield

I think it was an action category
Biker Dave
http://www.atarimagazines.com/comput...Biker_Dave.php
Climber 5
http://www.atarimagazines.com/comput.../Climber_5.php
and others

I think it also had a strategy category.
Chain Reaction
http://www.atarimagazines.com/comput...n_reaction.php
some Qbert thing
some ball/marble dropping game
and others
Old 12 December 2010, 21:23   #2
Ze Emulatron

I have found the names of some more that were on the disk

Switch Box
http://www.atarimagazines.com/comput..._Switchbox.php

The Hermit
http://www.atarimagazines.com/comput...The-Hermit.php

Last edited by Ze Emulatron; 16 January 2012 at 01:34.
Old 20 January 2011, 00:40   #3
Ze Emulatron

I have found several of the games I was looking for in

Computes First Book of Amiga

and

Compute's Second Book of Amiga

I just have to type them out now.
Old 20 January 2011, 00:47   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If you have an executable version of them, please consider uploading them somewhere
Old 20 January 2011, 21:28   #5
Ze Emulatron

I was thinking of doing that, I just have to type them all into Amiga Basic first and then I'll see if they will compile with AC-Basic Compiler v1.2
Old 20 January 2011, 23:17   #6
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

You can save yourself a hell of a lot of typing.

If you download a pdf of the book you can copy and paste using windows to recreate the programs and then dump them onto your Miggy.

I did that recently with some compute book games.

See this thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55439

In fact I'll update that thread over the weekend because I've got the rest of the book done now.

Dave G
Old 21 January 2011, 00:56   #7
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
You can save yourself a hell of a lot of typing.

If you download a pdf of the book you can copy and paste using windows to recreate the programs and then dump them onto your Miggy.
I tried copying it from the PDF but some of the characters were wrong when it was pasted into wordpad. I found it was easier to type the whole thing out than go through it and pick out the characters it copied wrong and replace them.
Old 21 January 2011, 01:25   #8
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

True - it did transfer the I to l and the $ to something unreadable but otherwise it wasn't too bad.

Hopefully you're a quicker typer than me

Dave G
Old 09 December 2011, 22:55   #9
Ze Emulatron

I attempted to resurrect the floppy I had, I had been too lazy to type it out and some of the games are still alright.

In The Zone is a zip file containing a Damaged floppy image and Disk Doctored floppy image and Disk Doctored floppy image with some corrupt files replaced, of a disk I have called Compute Games. Only Biker Dave, Climber 5, Laser Chess, Jump Ball,Chain Reaction and Monte Carlo work on Compute Games DiskDoctored.adf.
Old 09 December 2011, 23:03   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Emulatron View Post
In The Zone is a zip file containing a Damaged floppy image and Disk Doctored floppy image and Disk Doctored floppy image with some corrupt files replaced, of a disk I have called Compute Games. Only Biker Dave, Climber 5, Laser Chess, Jump Ball,Chain Reaction and Monte Carlo work on Compute Games DiskDoctored.adf.
I downloaded that zip file even before you posted. I'll try to find time to look at the disk images over the weekend and see if there's anything else I can fix for you.

Edit: I hope that the "Disk Doctored floppy image" and "Disk Doctored floppy image with some corrupt files replaced" are not images of a Disk Doctored floppy and Disk Doctored floppy with some corrupt files replaced, respectively.

You should never use Disk Doctor on an original floppy disk. There are much better tools available which will save everything to another disk.

Last edited by prowler; 09 December 2011 at 23:39.
Old 10 December 2011, 00:17   #11
Ze Emulatron

Thanks for having a look at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Edit: I hope that the "Disk Doctored floppy image" and "Disk Doctored floppy image with some corrupt files replaced" are not images of a Disk Doctored floppy and Disk Doctored floppy with some corrupt files replaced, respectively.
Yeah, they are

Quote:
You should never use Disk Doctor on an original floppy disk. There are much better tools available which will save everything to another disk.
I know Disk Doctor is a terrible program, but I have had success using it before, but that was only to replace the bootblock on several faulty copys of a Workbench disk so I could switch between 3 damaged disks to get transdisk across and send a good Workbench disk from my PC to a good floppy.

I did a nibble copy of the damaged disk I had( which was a copy anyway ) with X Copy, and used Disk Doctor on the copy I made. Then I used TransADF to send the copy done with disk doctor and the 'original' to my XP computer (don't know how well it did it but it took about twice as long as a good disk would take) and did another copy of the 'original' in WinUAE and diskdoctored it and replaced some of the corrupted files with the files from Workbench 1.3.3 so some of the games would work.

Last edited by Ze Emulatron; 10 December 2011 at 00:30.
Old 10 December 2011, 00:27   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Emulatron View Post
I did a nibble copy of the damaged disk I had( which was a copy anyway ) with X Copy, and used Disk Doctor on the copy I made. Then I used TransADF to send the copy done with disk doctor and the 'original' to my XP computer and did another copy of the 'original' in WinUAE and diskdoctored it and replaced some of the corrupted files with the files from Workbench 1.3.3 so some of the games would work.
Thanks for those details. They will help me understand the differences between the disk images.

If you don't hear from me for a while in this thead, it won't mean that I have given up or forgotten it. I enjoy this sort of challenge, but it can take a while to make any measureable progress.
Old 10 December 2011, 00:56   #13
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
If you don't hear from me for a while in this thead, it won't mean that I have given up or forgotten it. I enjoy this sort of challenge, but it can take a while to make any measureable progress.
No problem, I have been waiting over a year for something to happen already, so it is good 6 games that work.

I believe that the disk is a combination of the disk you could have paid to get with Computes First book of Amiga and Computes Second book of Amiga

Pictures of the games that work

Biker Dave

Climber 5

Monte Carlo

Jump Ball

Chain Reaction

Laser Chess

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 10 December 2011, 01:03   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
See this thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55439

In fact I'll update that thread over the weekend because I've got the rest of the book done now.

Dave G
Hi Dave,

It looks like you didn't get round to updating that thread.

If you did get the rest of that book done, it could help us now. Would you do us a favour, mate, and update it ASAP.

Thanks.
Old 10 December 2011, 15:21   #15
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Ah, the joys of Disk Doctor. This application is where I first heard the term "Fixes the disk or buggers it up altogether - usually the latter" back in high school. I'd personally recommend you go back to the original disk and use Dave Haynie's Disksalv4.

From the DiskSalv4 manual:

"The story I was told goes something like this. The software folks were not quite sure whether DiskDoctor should be dumped or improved, so they decided to leave it up to DiskDoctor itself. They put the DiskDoctor source on an old floppy, then ran DiskDoctor on it. As often happened, DiskDoctor damaged this undamaged disk. So, while it's often said that DiskDoctor was "sued for malpractice", it's more correct to state that DiskDoctor committed suicide." Dave Haynie, from the manual of DiskSalv (Amiga)
(Quoted from: http://coolquotescollection.com/Computer)

get it here:

http://whdloadrules.tripod.com/utilities.html

---
edit: other quotes:

"A human never stands so tall as when stooping to help a small computer." - Infocom motto

"Even though Amiga Users may be less than 1% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 1%" - Paraphrasing Douglas Adams

"It said, \"Insert disk #3,\" but only two will fit!" - Anon

Last edited by lifeschool; 10 December 2011 at 18:07.
Old 10 December 2011, 18:20   #16
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Programming quotes: all from http://coolquotescollection.com/Computer

# "Programming software is like creating a maze and going through it at the same time. Only you know the exact route you've taken, and anyone else is likely to get lost or screw it up entirely!" - Lyndsey Hayward

# "If the code was hard to write, I'm going to damn well make it hard to read!" - Dimator, on Slashdot

# "A feature is a bug with seniority." - Anon

# "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup

# "I code therefore I exist - somewhere between heaven and html." -Ad Hales

# "Managing programmers is like trying to herd cats." - Greg Settle

# "LAWS OF COMPUTER PROGRAMMING, VII: Program complexity grows until it exceeds the capabilities of the programmer who must maintain it."

# "If at first you don't succeed, add 1 to any integer variable."

# "Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN."

# "One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." - Robert Firth

---
ahh, I see my Pc has finished compiling my video at last - back to work...
Old 10 December 2011, 20:36   #17
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
That download will give you a corrupted DMS file.

Get a fixed version from here instead.
Old 10 December 2011, 23:53   #18
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Hi Dave,

It looks like you didn't get round to updating that thread.

If you did get the rest of that book done, it could help us now. Would you do us a favour, mate, and update it ASAP.

Thanks.

In the zone in a tick or two

Dave G
Old 11 December 2011, 00:01   #19
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks, Dave!
Old 11 December 2011, 08:46   #20
Ze Emulatron

I think I got another 2 games to work properly Canfield and Euchre.

I used some version of DiskSalv on the 'original' adf in WinUAE and then copied those files off to another disk.

I'll check it again and if they work I'll put up some pictures tomorrow and update the Zip file.