English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 January 2021, 20:39   #1
DerSheriff

2021s espansion choices for A600

Hi there,

this morning I got locally an A600 machine. Basic machine, no expansions/ram cards, no HDD, warranty sticker still intact..

I'm thinking of adding a HDD of course (or a substitute, like some adapter like IDE-CF or IDE-SD.

Apart the smell o' fish after some time being powered on (I'm ordering the needed capacitors in the next days), I want to ask you what would be your choice/your choices of expanding this machine today in 2021?

Thank you, have a nice day.
DerSheriff
Old 30 January 2021, 21:38   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

1MB Chip RAM expansion €20 (Maybe consider paying more and getting one with an Indivision ECS expansion slot?

44-pin IDE->CF adapter

AmigaOS + Kickstart 3.1.4

Most accelerators for A600 are not in production at the moment. The fastest is obviously the Vampire 2.

The best bang-for-buck accelerator for 16-bit Amiga's going forward is going to be the PiSTorm (Raspberry Pi replaces the CPU with an adapter board. Performance equalling 040@25MHz at the moment with FastRAM & RTG. Wifi, AHI and USB to come)

But I don't think you can buy an A600 adapter yet?

https://github.com/niklasekstrom/pistorm
Old 31 January 2021, 14:46   #3
DerSheriff

Thanks alexh,

CF adapter is good (I have it in A1200), however for A600 limited space I thought about a IDE 44 pin to SD adapter, with a ribbon extender cable for SD card. To bring the SD card socket in the expansion slot under the machine.

It seems that memory expansions are quite affordable, so that's great.
The ex601 memory expansion seems very similar to A604n, at least at first look.

However, thinking about an accelerator without going to the prohibitely expensive Vampire route, I see few options.

This is not my main Amiga, I mostly use my A1200, and sometimes A500.

I think I'll replace capacitors on this A600 and then I'll keep as is for the moment, maybe someday I'll find something useful to do, and some newer and affordable accelerators to fit inside.

As of now the PiSTorm seems in its early days, but very promising. I'll keep periodically an eye on it, thanks for the tip.

In the end I'll see this A600 used someday as a light WHDload machine, very basic workbench and nothing else.

Have a nice day,
DerSheriff
Old 31 January 2021, 14:47   #4
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

--
Old 31 January 2021, 15:17   #5
DerSheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbase View Post
--
m?
Old 31 January 2021, 19:04   #6
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105435
Old 31 January 2021, 19:25   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerSheriff View Post
CF adapter is good (I have it in A1200), however for A600 limited space I thought about a IDE 44 pin to SD adapter, with a ribbon extender cable for SD card. To bring the SD card socket in the expansion slot under the machine.
I think IDE->SD adapters are the same size physically. I never bother to make my internal drives physically removeable. I buy the biggest value media and prep it on the PC with AmigaOS and everything I can think of, fit it using the right angle adapter which uses no cable and then never remove it. If I want to add files I use a PCMCIA to CF card adapter or PCMCIA Wifi card to transfer files to the internal drive.

There are about 6-7 accelerators not including the Vampire for the A600. I think only the most basic are available to buy new today. e.g. Furia

I've got the A608 which is only a RAM card and the cheapest at about £25. Plus I have the ACA630 64MB which is the most powerful non Vampire A600 accelerator it was crazy expensive at the time. Certainly not worth the cost today.

Last edited by alexh; 31 January 2021 at 19:33.
Old 31 January 2021, 20:06   #8
amigakit.com

@DerSheriff

We stock A600 1MB Chip Memory expansion with a clockport header socket:

https://amigakit.amiga.store/product...5&currency=EUR

We also stock A600 4MB Fast Memory expansion:

https://amigakit.amiga.store/product...6&currency=EUR

IDE to SD adapter:

https://amigakit.amiga.store/product...2&currency=EUR

Hope this helps.
Old 31 January 2021, 20:13   #9
DerSheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Intresting one.. I'll keep a look at it, seems very promising. Thank you
Old 31 January 2021, 20:20   #10
DerSheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I think IDE->SD adapters are the same size physically. I never bother to make my internal drives physically removeable. I buy the biggest value media and prep it on the PC with AmigaOS and everything I can think of, fit it using the right angle adapter which uses no cable and then never remove it. If I want to add files I use a PCMCIA to CF card adapter or PCMCIA Wifi card to transfer files to the internal drive.

There are about 6-7 accelerators not including the Vampire for the A600. I think only the most basic are available to buy new today. e.g. Furia

I've got the A608 which is only a RAM card and the cheapest at about £25. Plus I have the ACA630 64MB which is the most powerful non Vampire A600 accelerator it was crazy expensive at the time. Certainly not worth the cost today.
I'm used to my A1200 where I can access my CF without opening the machine and that's surely great. I can think about keeping storage internal only, it could be OK.

I did see the Furia before, intresting piece of hardware.

If I understood well, the most common expansion for A600 would be:

-Acclerator (with fast ram) on top of CPU + 1mb chipram expansion in the bottom connector
-Fast ram on top of CPU + 1mb chipram expansion in the bottom connector

Am I missing something?

Have a nice day,
DerSheriff
Old 02 February 2021, 21:16   #11
johnnybarker

A fair assessment of the options.

If you are getting a chip ram expansion then I recommend the a604n as it also has 3x clockports and an expansion header for an indivision. I have one and have no complaints with it.
Old 14 February 2021, 13:38   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
The best bang-for-buck accelerator for 16-bit Amiga's going forward is going to be the PiSTorm (Raspberry Pi replaces the CPU with an adapter board. Performance equalling 040@25MHz at the moment with FastRAM & RTG. Wifi, AHI and USB to come)

But I don't think you can buy an A600 adapter yet?

https://github.com/niklasekstrom/pistorm
Edu Arana, retr0hardware hacker has a 68000 DIL adapter for the A600 which PiSTorm can use.

It is a bit of a sandwich (using the existing RPi -> 68000 DIL board). Hopefully a custom board will be available in the future.

https://twitter.com/Claude1079/statu...94460582846467
Old 14 February 2021, 16:49   #13
Jolabandola

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybarker View Post
A fair assessment of the options.

If you are getting a chip ram expansion then I recommend the a604n as it also has 3x clockports and an expansion header for an indivision. I have one and have no complaints with it.
I have an A604n and I have one complaint. If I fit the rtc on it the indivision will not fit properly and the expansion door bulges out.
Old 14 February 2021, 23:23   #14
Lemaru

Quote:
Edu Arana, retr0hardware hacker has a 68000 DIL adapter for the A600 which PiSTorm can use.
Mine are open source and files are available for free here. Two different designs to choose from depending on what's being fitted

https://github.com/LemaruX/Amiga-A600-68k-PLCC2DIP

https://github.com/LemaruX/Amiga-A600-68k-PLCC2DIP-v2
Old 15 February 2021, 12:26   #15
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolabandola View Post
I have an A604n and I have one complaint. If I fit the rtc on it the indivision will not fit properly and the expansion door bulges out.
Even without the RTC fitted, the A604n doesn't fit the trapdoor space properly, and ends up being bent up at a bit of an angle when the door is shut. Fitting an RTC probably just stops it from being bent as badly, but ultimately it looks like the connectors used might be too tall. Slackening off the motherboard screw nearest the trapdoor connector helps somewhat, but of course that means opening up the case.
Old 21 February 2021, 22:25   #16
johnnybarker

That's interesting. Thinking about it my current trapdoor is not the original. I'm using a 3d printed vented one and everything sort of fits although there is a lot of stuff jammed in mine- a604n, indivision, RTC, rapidroad, vampire and prisma card. Fitting it together is a bit like closing your suitcase before going on holiday.
Old 22 February 2021, 18:41   #17
ItsTheSmell

Get your capacitors changed theyre leaking and will damage the board.