English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 January 2022, 14:41   #81
utri007
mä vaan

Just played first episode through. For previous ports Abyss level was difficult. Works very well! No crawling at any place.
Old 17 January 2022, 18:32   #82
BSzili
old chunk of coal

The stack saga continues! It looks like I had StackAttack 2 times in my startup-sequence and I only commented out one instance... great. Without it interfering I was finally able to test the game properly.
Running from the icon it reboots, but starting from the shell it at least gets to the menu. Scout shows "---" for the process, which means tc_SPReg is out of bounds. I checked out the __stkswap function that's now used everywhere, and it doesn't touch tc_SPReg. That could be source of the problem:
https://github.com/bebbo/libnix/blob...wapstack.c#L19
Old 17 January 2022, 19:53   #83
paraj

Quote:
If you had to create a makefile.user file then something probably went wrong. In theory all you need of bebbo's toolchain, and the cross compile scripts should build the game out of the box.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what scripts do you mean? (I'm looking at https://github.com/BSzili/jfduke3d/tree/amiga). Really just trying to see how a small example behaves using the same compiler flags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
The stack saga continues! It looks like I had StackAttack 2 times in my startup-sequence and I only commented out one instance... great. Without it interfering I was finally able to test the game properly.
Running from the icon it reboots, but starting from the shell it at least gets to the menu. Scout shows "---" for the process, which means tc_SPReg is out of bounds. I checked out the __stkswap function that's now used everywhere, and it doesn't touch tc_SPReg. That could be source of the problem:
https://github.com/bebbo/libnix/blob...wapstack.c#L19
Glad you managed to reproduce it. I think tc_SPReg is only relevant on task switch, but I'm not 100% sure. If you're able to attach a debugger (e.g. bebbo's at https://github.com/bebbo/bgdbserver) you should be able to observe the stack switch easily by just observer SP on task entry and in main.
Old 17 January 2022, 20:12   #84
BSzili
old chunk of coal

There's nothing stupid in the question, as I forgot to commit these scripts to the repo. They should now be there. About tc_SPReg, I didn't know about this. Still it could be useful to see how much stack the process it actually gets from libnix.
Old 20 January 2022, 11:00   #85
rabidgerry

I already have the DUKE3D.GRP file from whenever I was setting up Novacoder's port, can I just use that with this version or will I require the one from this link

http://www.jonof.id.au/buildgames/duke3d.html?
Old 20 January 2022, 17:21   #86
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I think his port requires the Atomic Edition GRP and JFDuke3D supports pretty much every version out there, so you should be good to go.
Old 20 January 2022, 18:46   #87
rabidgerry

Quote:
I think his port requires the Atomic Edition GRP and JFDuke3D supports pretty much every version out there, so you should be good to go.
Splendid!
Old 21 January 2022, 00:51   #88
mateusz_s

Hi,
Just tested on V1200 (AmigaOS3.2) with Atomic Edition ,
works ultra fast and smooth in 320x240
Thanks Great JOB!

One thing is the STACK SIZE, the original size 4096 was to small -
and caused crash, I increased to about 50000 and was OK, finally I let it 300000...

Last edited by mateusz_s; 21 January 2022 at 00:57.
Old 21 January 2022, 01:14   #89
rabidgerry

Ok so I got it to load, and it looks better than previous port for some reason.

However when I select classic settings for the controller, I can't move forward or turn.

All I can do is shoot. Pressing left and right just has Duke look left and right. Pressing up has Duke look up and so on and so forth. How can I walk forward?

I use a playstation controller with an adapter that maps keys to CD32 layout btw. I thought it would work like Blood and Shadow Warrior.
Old 21 January 2022, 07:23   #90
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateusz_s View Post
Hi,
Just tested on V1200 (AmigaOS3.2) with Atomic Edition ,
works ultra fast and smooth in 320x240
Thanks Great JOB!

One thing is the STACK SIZE, the original size 4096 was to small -
and caused crash, I increased to about 50000 and was OK, finally I let it 300000...
Yes, this is a known issue. There's 32KB stack hardcoded into the executable, but unfortunately it doesn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Ok so I got it to load, and it looks better than previous port for some reason.

However when I select classic settings for the controller, I can't move forward or turn.

All I can do is shoot. Pressing left and right just has Duke look left and right. Pressing up has Duke look up and so on and so forth. How can I walk forward?

I use a playstation controller with an adapter that maps keys to CD32 layout btw. I thought it would work like Blood and Shadow Warrior.
It's possible that I forgot to copy the default controller layout from those games, but you can always customize your control mapping in "Options / Input Settings / Controller Setup / Edit Buttons".
Old 21 January 2022, 12:24   #91
rabidgerry

I did try that, but it wouldn't register any direction for me.

I'll give it a go again and see what happens.
Old 21 January 2022, 13:56   #92
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Maybe the button remapping is broken too? That would be a double-whammy. I'll check it this weekend.
Old 21 January 2022, 14:16   #93
rabidgerry

Quote:
Maybe the button remapping is broken too? That would be a double-whammy. I'll check it this weekend.
Nope I didn't understand the configuration system, that was all. So when I went into check, dpad up was "look up" and dpad down was "look down" so changed them to suit and I dunno what to assign the shoulder buttons to though as straff is assigned to a button already. May be weapon changes I guess.

The first level was running so smooth for me I nearly cried Hope the rest is the same! I love this game so much, I actually cannot wait to get stuck in. Played about 20mins there and all seemed good. Hopefully it stays stable for me as I'm gonna be busy playing this!

Last edited by rabidgerry; 21 January 2022 at 15:05.
Old 21 January 2022, 14:29   #94
OlafSch

Quote:
Thank you very much

Your ports run on Aros 68k like a charm
Old 21 January 2022, 16:19   #95
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Nope I didn't understand the configuration system, that was all. So when I went into check, dpad up was "look up" and dpad down was "look down" so changed them to suit and I dunno what to assign the shoulder buttons to though as straff is assigned to a button already. May be weapon changes I guess.

The first level was running so smooth for me I nearly cried Hope the rest is the same! I love this game so much, I actually cannot wait to get stuck in. Played about 20mins there and all seemed good. Hopefully it stays stable for me as I'm gonna be busy playing this!
In a nutshell the left column has the controller's buttons, and the right one the function that's assigned to the button. If you press Enter on particular button you can pick from a list what function should be assigned to it, None means that button won't do anything.
If that helps it's the exact opposite of the keyboard Keys setup, which has the list of functions, and you can assign up to two keys to each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
Thank you very much

Your ports run on Aros 68k like a charm
Thanks. Props go to the AROS developers who fixed whatever issue lowlevel.library used to have.
Old 21 January 2022, 17:52   #96
stevelord

Just tried this port. Jaw on the floor material. I'm amazed at both how fast and feature complete this is. Well done!
Old 21 January 2022, 20:07   #97
rabidgerry

Quote:
In a nutshell the left column has the controller's buttons, and the right one the function that's assigned to the button. If you press Enter on particular button you can pick from a list what function should be assigned to it, None means that button won't do anything.
If that helps it's the exact opposite of the keyboard Keys setup, which has the list of functions, and you can assign up to two keys to each.
I couldn't assign shoulder buttons to do anything, just using keys to flick through inventory. Not an issue, just a preference is all. Just pleased with you efforts!! Boy it has been running well so far with a lot of enemies on screen in "come get some" mode and whilst playing L.A Meltdown level. Thanks again for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
Just tried this port. Jaw on the floor material. I'm amazed at both how fast and feature complete this is. Well done!
What setup have you got? It is grease lightning for me! I actually can't keep up at times lol
Old 21 January 2022, 20:30   #98
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
I couldn't assign shoulder buttons to do anything, just using keys to flick through inventory. Not an issue, just a preference is all. Just pleased with you efforts!! Boy it has been running well so far with a lot of enemies on screen in "come get some" mode and whilst playing L.A Meltdown level. Thanks again for this.
What happens when you try to assign a function to those buttons? They don't stay on that value, or the buttons won't perform the function you successfully set in the menu? If it's the latter you van upload your duke3d.cfg here so I can take a look.
Old 22 January 2022, 18:30   #99
rabidgerry

Quote:
What happens when you try to assign a function to those buttons? They don't stay on that value, or the buttons won't perform the function you successfully set in the menu? If it's the latter you van upload your duke3d.cfg here so I can take a look.
Let me try it again, I didn't assign anything to those buttons as I didn't actually see those buttons in the list. Perhaps the name isn't obvious to me or something so I'll go and have another look and report back.
Old 22 January 2022, 18:49   #100
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Oh I see, they are called Reverse and Forward. This nomenclature comes from Commodore, so you can blame them for it.