English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 04 December 2021, 03:02   #1
Lamaman71

OS 3.2 and Iconify

Hi Folks, I have installed OS3.2 and a bunch of the usual stuff - Magicmenu, WHDLoad, iGame, MMU Libs - nothing exciting. Noticed I dont have an iconify icon in my 3.2 windows. Cant see anywhere to enable it so I assume Ive installed something and screwed it up? Anyone got any ideas?
Old 04 December 2021, 08:33   #2
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

You are probably using an older version of intuition.library.
Old 04 December 2021, 17:40   #3
Lamaman71

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

In libs my intuition.library is caalled old-intuition.library. Not sure where to look for it in 3.2? I did a fresh install in winUAE and its the same there too.
Old 04 December 2021, 17:55   #4
Lamaman71

In fact, even my basic install of 3.2 hasnt got an Iconify icon...now I am confused - obviously missing something obvious!
Old 04 December 2021, 18:00   #5
Lamaman71

and....i was - just needed 10 minutes without being attacked by the kids. sorted. Thanks Minuous.
Old 05 December 2021, 23:23   #6
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaman71 View Post
and....i was - just needed 10 minutes without being attacked by the kids. sorted. Thanks Minuous.
Well, I don't know how it was resolved. But...it is only available on apps specifically designed to use it. For example, TextEdit.

If there's a way to get it on regular wb-windows like say the window for sys:tools I'd love to know how!
Old 06 December 2021, 00:44   #7
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

I expect that if the devs had intended to support iconification for Workbench windows, the button would be there.
Old 06 December 2021, 03:36   #8
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
I expect that if the devs had intended to support iconification for Workbench windows, the button would be there.
I agree with that. I'm sure there's a very good reason, or several more likely, for why it is the way it is.

I was merely wondering (could have been phrased more explictly to be sure) if I had missed some "use at your own risk" hack that enables it. Sort of like use MCP, Visual Prefs, or birdie if you like. But don't complain if it breaks something.
Old 06 December 2021, 12:40   #9
Thomas Richter

It's not a hack. Iconification gadgets became "first level citizens" in the latest intuition version, along with their own way what they send as IDCMP, and "hiding windows" became also natively supported by intuition, due to the new features of the v45 layers library. Thus, everything is clean and fine here on a systems level.
Old 06 December 2021, 13:09   #10
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
It's not a hack. Iconification gadgets became "first level citizens" in the latest intuition version, along with their own way what they send as IDCMP, and "hiding windows" became also natively supported by intuition, due to the new features of the v45 layers library. Thus, everything is clean and fine here on a systems level.
Sorry, was unclear. I didn't mean that the iconify-gadget is a hack. I meant if there's a hack available that "enables" it for places where it is not explicitly coded into the app to make it iconify-aware. That's probably unclear too...
Old 06 December 2021, 13:38   #11
Thomas Richter

Thanks, I understand. This should be relatively easy now, given that there is now a way how to hide windows transparent to the application (i.e. for the application, just all layers are invisible, but it is still possible to render into them).
Old 15 January 2022, 18:09   #12
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Thanks, I understand. This should be relatively easy now, given that there is now a way how to hide windows transparent to the application (i.e. for the application, just all layers are invisible, but it is still possible to render into them).
Yes I guess it is a case of "never got around to it" or "didn't think of it"
Old 09 February 2022, 21:06   #13
Lamaman71

Thanks folks, explanations are much appreciated.