English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 28 August 2007, 14:34   #21
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
/me wonders if the mods have sekrit files on us lower life forms in their super sekrit mod forum.
HAHAHAHAHAHAH the very idea... no!
Old 28 August 2007, 14:34   #22
Marcuz

however i believe one day there will be a thread by this name:

Moderating member: Marco Pedrana

in which all the mods unanimously will vote to ban me, and BippyM will ask RCK to ban also my IPs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
indeed... i do miss the off-topic ..... there was some that was to close to the mark (it didn`t always involve ironclaw ) and there was some that was perhaps best burned for the complete filth it was (but you cannot blame mick_aka all the time for that )

but i do miss it... there needs an opt-out system. off topic should count as posts (personally i really don care about post counts) but if I want to disucss some thing non-amiga releated albiet freds fantastic faggotry or even ideas for something completely different... i want that option. to get there now takes to long, I dont seen any new posts or developments... and my lunch breaks are now overly long with no entertainment.

I appreciate that some of the stooges in here want to CONTROLL because certain content is to (ofay?)

but by making it difficult / awkward to get at it will demoralize and reduce the overall joviality of the community that in someways, and those numbers taking part will reduce. I have found the EAB of late is missing some fun, seems all business.... be nice to have some random crazyness again!
i believe there's a difference between what's perceived and what's the real problem of OT...
so i take a serious post to explain what i mean and understand that here i am not against or in favour, that's not the point at all.

OT was out of control, yes. but not out, strictly speaking, of moderation's control: it was out of the control of the whole community.

1) it was, and in generally, any OT is, out of the sense and purpose of this board and its' not unlimited resources.
2) it was a barrier for a large number of users and potential users because its' raw quality: for instance there are authorities here who can adress doubts about what's the coolest and most violet smelling motherboard for amiga, but who can instead say what's the right or wrong absolutely in ethical banter? there will always be someone pissed off for what looks perfectably acceptable for another person.
3) there were sensate claims of abusing of patience etc...

three reasons that found pretty much everybody in agreement mods and users: users debated on the how to fix, but not if there wasn't cause of concern.

So RCK produced the current solution. personally i think is a good one: it was needed some time far OT at least to clean up a little the air.

Nobody can, i think, be absolutely against OT: that would be a sociopathical no little feat!
however all of this to clear, if there were again need, why this is the current accomodation.

all further that is open to discussion, but i believe OT will not get back in the way it was before: that would be senseless.

Last edited by Marcuz; 28 August 2007 at 14:52.
Old 28 August 2007, 15:32   #23
Dizzy
Pirate

I think it's sad that the birthdaythreads are gone. This was a good way of keeping a friendly relation between members here. I always enjoy reading those threads, and posting a nice a funny greeting.

So now that OT is gone for most members I think it could be a good idea to make a subforum under Project EAB, where we could post happy birthday threads, and they could be deleted after 14 days just like OT do.
Old 28 August 2007, 16:13   #24
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I think it's sad that the birthdaythreads are gone. This was a good way of keeping a friendly relation between members here. I always enjoy reading those threads, and posting a nice a funny greeting.

So now that OT is gone for most members I think it could be a good idea to make a subforum under Project EAB, where we could post happy birthday threads, and they could be deleted after 14 days just like OT do.

I agree, Jope got like two birthday greetings.

All I and many ask is that if possible off topic can be grouped with todays posts in each members profile so we can choose if we want it visible or not.

And as Marco pointed out in another thread, PM RCK and request it if you agree (nicely of course ) I know I will.
Old 28 August 2007, 16:41   #25
keropi

how hard is it to make an option to include/exclude OT?
not being smart, I have no clue!
Old 28 August 2007, 17:44   #26
Marcuz

i seriously cannot answer to that as i do not know anything of board coding (or of any coding) but i would tend to say that it would be adressable.

i'm sure that if there's interest enough, RCK will consider it.
Old 28 August 2007, 17:48   #27
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

There already used to be that option.

In fact there was (at the bottom of Edit Options in the User CP, I believe) a setting to exclude any forum from Today's Posts. It disappeared with the modification of the Off Topic area, as far as I could tell. I can't find it anywhere at least.
Old 28 August 2007, 18:25   #28
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Altho I don't take part in them, I miss some of the off topic posts - perhaps an easy to find option as suggested for displaying/not displaying them in the today's posts section. Stuff like the birthday threads were good (hmm and mine is coming up, so hopefully by then i can feel like i have some friends!)

Though at one stage there were so many of them it did get a bit much lol, even I had to wade thru them, that must have been what caused the change.

Or maybe the option to display them turned off by default - but ppl then still may not write to the threads as much as they may not know about them then.

Whatever way is decided, would be good to at least have the option to see them in today's posts list to encourage contribution. If coding/configuring it is not too hard.
Old 28 August 2007, 19:22   #29
Graham Humphrey

In a nutshell, then: keep the Off-Topic section the way it is but add an option to display OT in Today's Posts. Sounds fair enough to me.

But also, has it never occured to anyone just to scroll to the bottom of the forum index... it's easy enough to see
Old 28 August 2007, 19:31   #30
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
But also, has it never occured to anyone just to scroll to the bottom of the forum index... it's easy enough to see
yes but you can't see if it got new posts .

But I agree with you
Old 28 August 2007, 19:53   #31
Marcuz

you can, they are written in bold
however, if it's the solution that makes happy the nuts and the nerds, i'm fine with it
Old 28 August 2007, 20:02   #32
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
you can, they are written in bold
not on the front page
Old 28 August 2007, 20:05   #33
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
From some of the replies in this thread you would have thought that the OT section had disappeared completely...

Ok, so you don't see them in "Today's Posts" but as Graham has pointed out you can still manually check the section yourself
Old 28 August 2007, 20:10   #34
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
From some of the replies in this thread you would have thought that the OT section had disappeared completely...

Ok, so you don't see them in "Today's Posts" but as Graham has pointed out you can still manually check the section yourself
yeah, but some of us are just too lazy to remember to do that!
Old 28 August 2007, 20:10   #35
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Yeah, scroll down. Took me 2 days to notice this, because i always use "Today's Posts".
Old 28 August 2007, 20:12   #36
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
yeah, but some of us are just too lazy to remember to do that!
...which I'm very surprised at.

If I was a hardcore poster in a certain section I don't need something to tell me there's a new post, I instinctively check that section as soon as I login
Old 28 August 2007, 20:19   #37
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
...which I'm very surprised at.

If I was a hardcore poster in a certain section I don't need something to tell me there's a new post, I instinctively check that section as soon as I login

i would expect most people however dont think of it out of instinct, being too used to discussing on-topic amiga related gubbins!!

for example, i like the sports / website etc OT discussions, but when it comes to the latest slagging-off-for-no-reason-purile-nonsense-threads, although i find them a bit amusing, i dont tend to miss them!
Old 29 August 2007, 14:58   #38
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Once I'm up to date on any particular internet forum I always use the display todays posts/new posts button.

Unless I am actually looking for a particular piece of information then I would use the search function.

Old habits die hard I guess...
Old 03 September 2007, 22:11   #39
RCK
Administrator

I will see what I can do to add off topic in search engine for users who will ask it.
Old 03 September 2007, 22:14   #40
Marcuz

i guess yours is a hard and ungrateful life my friend