English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 August 2006, 16:37   #1
djthunder

Transfer dms and lha files from pc to amiga.

Hi there

I have been given a old,amiga stock 1200,from one of my friends.
i have a few questions here.
i have managed to link up my 80mb amiga hdd,too my pc and installed wb 2.1 through winuae.
i have managed to get some dms and lha games from the net.
my first question is,could i put these dms and lha files,on a virtual drive in winuae.then drag and drop them on to the amiga hdd,attached to my pc.

or should i just install whdload on there.can i install whdload from winuae with my drive hooked up to my pc and can i drag and drop the games on the,AMIGA TRIBUTE 2 DVD on to amiga hdd and load them through whdload.

thanks

Old 24 August 2006, 05:49   #2
InTheSand

Hi,

I wish I had friends that gave me A1200s!!

If you've installed WB2.1 on it, this is technically the wrong version for the A1200 (even though it may appear to work). A1200s were supplied with Kickstart 3.0 (and some were upgraded to 3.1), so you should ideally install the matching Workbench version.

LHA files are archives (like ZIP files) that the Amiga can decompress and use. DMS and ADF files are disk images - the Amiga can't make use of these directly* and these files need to be written back out to real physical disks before the Amiga can make use of them.

So... to answer your question: You can drag LHA files within WinUAE from your virtual Amiga drive to your real Amiga drive with no problem (assuming that you also have LHA on your Amiga to decompress them later).

You can copy DMS and ADF files to the Amiga's hard drive but you'll need something like DevBlockTools and/or DMS (search Aminet to find these) to write them out to real physical disks later.

WinUAE can mount ADF files directly and the emulated Amiga will see these as floppy drives. If you run WHDLoad within WinUAE, you should be able to make hd-installable versions of the ADF files, but in some cases WHDLoad will require original disks rather than those that have been "trained"!

- Ali

* OK, it can, but not without further software and configuration!