English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 09 November 2004, 16:30   #1
Johnyt

Wink Pc - amiga ( monkey needs help )

Hi there i have now stratrd to get right back in with the amiga.

An old workmate of mine gave me his old A1200. It was in a reall sorry state had been in an old damp shed for years and the thing was waterlogged with rust and dirt every where.

I took it off his hands dried the bugger out turned it on and my god it bloody worked with the added bonus of 250M DH0 wich he did not tell me about with wb 3.0 installed with aload of software.

Well Now apart from the very few disks he found for me I have no software. I have looked at various site about transfering adfs to the amiga and putting them on to floppy from there. I got a pc laplink cable back from the old win95 days and no further idea on how to do any thing else hehehe. I have looked at thsi site http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/homepage/...l/methods.html

But I just cant get my head round any of it. All I have managed to do is get the serial settings to match the rest is just mind blowing to me.

Please Is there any one who could tell me step by step what I have to do. Like as if you had to teach a monkey to do it.

Old 09 November 2004, 17:24   #2
scaf

Send a message via MSN to scaf
hi,

I had a look on http://www.technick.net , and it seemed laplink cable isn't a null-modem serial cable.
You need a null-modem serial cable.

On the site http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/homepage/...l/methods.html , i tested successfully the method A, but it requires having a Workbench 1.3 . Do you have it on a disk ?

If not, your workbench 3.0 can read pc 720 kb disks. Just download "transwarp" on the site , put it on a pc 720 Kb formatted floppy, put the floppy in the amiga, and type the CLI command "mount PC0:" (it is PC0: by default, i guess), and copy transwarp on your amiga.

Then, with transwarp on the amiga and ADFSender Terminal on the PC and a null-modem serial cable, you'll be able to transfer ADFs.

good luck
Old 09 November 2004, 18:13   #3
Johnyt

Yeah I have tried what you had said i managed to format a disk in 720 kb i downloaded the trans disk files loaded up wb 3.0 typed in " mount pc0: "
but it says can't open file 'devs:mountlist'

I have also tried it on the external floppy as " mount pc1: " and I get the same error.

Hmm I wish I was an expert with all this.

Old 09 November 2004, 19:47   #4
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
PC-2-Amiga to the rescue (again)

If you have a laplink cable then connect it between PC & Amiga, then use PC-2-Amiga program to transfer files. It's speedy! PC-2-Amiga can be found on aminet. I have also the last version of it on my HD if you need it.
Old 09 November 2004, 21:24   #5
scaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyt
Yeah I have tried what you had said i managed to format a disk in 720 kb i downloaded the trans disk files loaded up wb 3.0 typed in " mount pc0: "

I have also tried it on the external floppy as " mount pc1: " and I get the same error.

It means it can't find the PC0: device.
Devices in DEVS: are mounted at startup.
Other ones you'd want to mount on the fly are in SYS:Storage/DosDrivers.
You should see there an icon for PC0: and another one for PC1: . Just double click on PC0: .

Never tried PC2Amiga. Heard it works fine.

Info if needed:
SYS: is the root of your system disk
DEVS: is a shortcut to SYS:devs
DF0: is the first physical floppy drive with Amiga FileSystem
PC0: is the first physical floppy drive with MSDOS FileSystem
Old 10 November 2004, 00:09   #6
Johnyt

Aha!!! I have now managed Method A on that site I needed to use wb 1.3 wich luckly I have here. Now is there an adf of some better software on the amiga side that will makw this process easyer?

Old 10 November 2004, 01:10   #7
scaf

I made an ADF to automate this process. It was builtfor a500, works with 1200, too.
You can download it here : http://amiga500.free.fr/telecharger/4-09-02/ADFDump(2002)(Scaf).zip
There is a newer version that isn't online, yet. I can send it to you, if you want.

Transfer this ADF with transwarp on your amiga, and adf sender terminal on your PC (don't forger the null-modem serial cable ! ).
Old 10 November 2004, 02:01   #8
Johnyt

cool ill try that so what is better transdisk or transwarp>?

Old 10 November 2004, 03:52   #9
Johnyt

well cool man all seems well with dos based disks but it does not like NDOS: disks like captain planet it does not seem to like. but settlers and wing comander I tried and they seem to work nice.

Is there a way to get the ndos disks to copy over???

And Yeah cool send me the newer verison If you have it.

Old 10 November 2004, 15:17   #10
scaf

NDOS disks aren't a problem; it just means they can't be read by Workbench.
They are the most often bootable and work very well.

The most often you obtain that with games.

No matter the workbench says "NDOS" or "Error 880", it doesn't mean the disk is physically bad. It is bad for the Workbench (be careful : it can be physically bad, too ).

about transwarp/transdisk : I use transwarp, as it can work in transdisk mode.

I'll send you the last version of adfdump.
Old 10 November 2004, 23:14   #11
Johnyt

I see well I had tried captian planet but it just hung on the eg: cracked by crystal screen making just the firts tone of the crazy music that is played.

I will try another game that was nondos might just be the adf itself. But if there is a game you know for sure you have had sucsess with It would be intersting to see if i have the same sucsess. The other dos based games worked very well. I am using you adf dump disk's serial utilities.

Thank you so much for your help so far.

Old 11 November 2004, 05:15   #12
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyt

Yeah, mountlist is where the extra device types are stored.

Basically when you call "mount PC0", if the device is not an ordinary device "DF0:, DH0:" it looks up the mountlist, which contains extra devices, like PC0, inside which, the pc0: mountlist entry will contain details like file system handler, driver etc.

Thats why its failing. You nust need to get ahold of someone's mountlist and put it in DEVS: (sys:/devs) preferably someone who uses the same PC floppy software.
Old 11 November 2004, 10:30   #13
Dr. Dude

Hmmmm Why not do it even more easy?
Use Amiga explorer from Cloanto

When you insert a disk you will see it in 2 ways on your PC
As disk, so you go tru the disk (Not NDos disks)
And as ADF. You can Get and place in a ADF whit ease

Only prob will be the speed, but also for that are things
Old 11 November 2004, 15:02   #14
scaf

I uploaded the latest version of ADFDump in the zone.
Enjoy !
Old 12 November 2004, 00:54   #15
Johnyt

I have taken the advice of a few people who have posted about amiga explorer. I have been given version 4 from someone who has purchased the v6. I have used Scaf's adf dump disk for the amiga side and it works well so far. I had even got captian planet to work... yippeeee!!!