English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 July 2020, 21:22   #41
Havie

Just made an amazing discovery - you can spend your money on lots of different things!

I found a cop of the manual and it said you can buy tyres, nitro boost and even have a respray. When you get the engine choice screen, push down and you get different options. Now the money makes more sense. You can even buy wet tyres for wet weather...

Suddenly it's a much deeper game.

Also, have been playing around in Winuae and it does appear that the faster the system the better it runs. Had it at maximum speed 030 and it was flying around and looked really smooth. This is obviously the best way to play it...but I'll stick to CD32 version on real Miggy!

Last edited by lilalurl; 20 July 2020 at 22:54.
Old 20 July 2020, 21:52   #42
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Just made an amazing discovery - you can spend your money on lots of different things!

I found a cop of the manual and it said you can buy tyres, nitro boost and even have a respray. When you get the engine choice screen, push down and you get different options. Now the money makes more sense. You can even buy wet tyres for wet weather...

Suddenly it's a much deeper game.
You didn't know you could scroll down and buy tires, nitro, gearbox and stuff? Even still, you will easily buy all the upgrades long before you are finished with 64 laps. I ended up with hundreds of thousand dollars at the end of the game. And then I had bought all the upgrades a long time ago. Except nitro. Car goes too fast with better nitros.

If you haven't upgraded tires and gearbox you have really missed out The gearbox you start with only has 4 gears. The best one has 6 gears. Also, before you enter a level you should select the tires you wanna use.

As said, this is not a bad driving game for the Amiga
Old 20 July 2020, 22:45   #43
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
You didn't know you could scroll down and buy tires, nitro, gearbox and stuff? Even still, you will easily buy all the upgrades long before you are finished with 64 laps. I ended up with hundreds of thousand dollars at the end of the game. And then I had bought all the upgrades a long time ago. Except nitro. Car goes too fast with better nitros.

If you haven't upgraded tires and gearbox you have really missed out The gearbox you start with only has 4 gears. The best one has 6 gears. Also, before you enter a level you should select the tires you wanna use.

As said, this is not a bad driving game for the Amiga
Well - no one told me!
Old 20 July 2020, 22:48   #44
turrican9

Quote:
Well - no one told me!
To be honest I think It took me a few days aswell before I noticed it was possible scroll down and buy more stuff
Old 20 July 2020, 22:58   #45
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
I found a cop of the manual [...]
The grammar and orthography police will arrest you next time if you forget the y at the end of cop.

More seriously, I take this opportunity to tell you (and others) that it is preferable to use the Edit button to edit a post rather than make one after another. Especially when it is just a few minutes apart.
Old 20 July 2020, 23:02   #46
Havie

Sorry - must have been the excitement of finding down did something!

I'll also tr to not miss an y's in future
Old 20 July 2020, 23:29   #47
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Thyrty years yn an ysocube for your perp.
And stop forcyng a moderator to do off-topyc posts.
Old 21 July 2020, 00:42   #48
xubidoo

Maybe its just me , but the Top gear games considering they are newer than the Lotus games, coming from the same developer seem to be a step down in all respects, gfx,sound, and even good old fun...

Much rather play Lotus than Top Gear 1/2 , its ok and i suppose are there are worse racing games on the Amiga but this isnt what i wouldve expected from Gremlin after the 3 Lotus games., not that keen on Jag XJ220 but i prefer that to this as well.

Old 22 July 2020, 00:57   #49
Havie

Still going and played A500 version - level codes from 1200 worked. Now have everything maxed out and going well. Double clicking works ok - probably better than rotating your joystick in Battle Squadron but I still prefer the CD32 controls.

Will finish game using CD32 version, just to see if end screen is AGA?
Old 22 July 2020, 12:10   #50
turrican9

Quote:
Still going and played A500 version - level codes from 1200 worked. Now have everything maxed out and going well. Double clicking works ok - probably better than rotating your joystick in Battle Squadron but I still prefer the CD32 controls.

Will finish game using CD32 version, just to see if end screen is AGA?
And then I can start a club for the ECS version of Top Gear 2. You can start the CD32 AGA Top Gear 2 club and we can run around and scream at people: Top Gear 2 is not a bad racing game on Amiga!

But seriously, I think there was quite a big FPS difference between ECS and AGA version. It was especially noticeable in the weather levels. But I see where your coming from. Sound Fx and music at the same time is nice
Old 22 July 2020, 18:55   #51
Seiya

the most difference that i can see is that there no real difference between AGA and OCS. some little animation, some color better placed, but not to call this game "AGA". Maybe could be a "TopGear 2 Ehnanced"
Old 22 July 2020, 21:52   #52
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
the most difference that i can see is that there no real difference between AGA and OCS. some little animation, some color better placed, but not to call this game "AGA". Maybe could be a "TopGear 2 Ehnanced"
To be fair - should be Top Gear de-enhanced if you look at the speed decrease (which is still a mystery).

Finally got to the end of the CD32 version - would be interested if this screen is more colours than non-Aga?

Old 23 July 2020, 23:50   #53
Havie

So part 2!

Having played the CD32 version to the end I have now moved on to the SNES.

I have played a few tracks (8) on SNES and frankly to my untrained eye the graphics look the same. The track seems a bit smoother but like the CD32, having sounds and music improves the game no end. One thing I have noticed on the SNES is that once you overtake the 1st place their blob disappears so you have no idea how close 2nd is to you which takes away some of the tension.

The opponents are possible slightly more aggressive or it could be that I have forgotten that until you have upgraded a bit that the game is a little bit more difficult?

Basically, the game feels the same, looks the same and is the same. I think you could argue that (apart from music and sound simultaneously) the 500 version is on par with the SNES, so it is a sad disappointment that the AGA version is poorer without looking at all better. Also, perhaps the SNES music is better? Certainly better than the CD32 music and either on par or slightly better than the 500 version (need to replay this version and compare).

I'm not sure I have the stamina to play to the end this time but will play a few more levels (maybe up the difficulty to see if there is a difference) before moving on to the Megadrive for my final update!

Keep driving...
Old 24 July 2020, 01:09   #54
turrican9

Quote:
So part 2!

Having played the CD32 version to the end I have now moved on to the SNES.

I have played a few tracks (8) on SNES and frankly to my untrained eye the graphics look the same. The track seems a bit smoother but like the CD32, having sounds and music improves the game no end. One thing I have noticed on the SNES is that once you overtake the 1st place their blob disappears so you have no idea how close 2nd is to you which takes away some of the tension.

The opponents are possible slightly more aggressive or it could be that I have forgotten that until you have upgraded a bit that the game is a little bit more difficult?

Basically, the game feels the same, looks the same and is the same. I think you could argue that (apart from music and sound simultaneously) the 500 version is on par with the SNES, so it is a sad disappointment that the AGA version is poorer without looking at all better. Also, perhaps the SNES music is better? Certainly better than the CD32 music and either on par or slightly better than the 500 version (need to replay this version and compare).

I'm not sure I have the stamina to play to the end this time but will play a few more levels (maybe up the difficulty to see if there is a difference) before moving on to the Megadrive for my final update!

Keep driving...
I agree. It looks the same. The ECS version is at least as smooth as the SNES version. Maybe even smoother.

Music is a matter of taste. Both are good. I do not have experience with the CD32 music but have heard it on youtube.

And yes, I also felt like the SNES version was a bit harder.

Looking forward to hear your opinion on the megadrive version. Have not tried it myself. But from looking at videos it looks very different to the Amiga and SNES versions. I think the megadrive version is worse from what I've seen
Old 24 July 2020, 22:36   #55
Havie

Had a bit of a play on the Megadrive version and here are my initial thoughts!

Road view is slightly higher - it may be that the car graphic is slightly smaller so doesn't obscure the view in the same way. I know that initially playing on the Amiga I felt like that I wanted to look over the car (almost gave me neck ache until I was used to it).

It's very fast - possibly the fastest version and this makes cornering much harder - on the other version I don't slow down round the corners until I have maximum engine, gear 6 and nitro but on the Megadrive version, even going at 120 is really fast. Also, if I'm not mistaken it is the only version that sows you down if you run over the grass? The other cars seem faster, any mistakes and you generally get overtaken. Also, starting grid is more spaced out so you don't get the wall of cars for the first half lap.

Does away with the fuel gauge - what is the point of this in the other versions?I do like the overtake sounds but the engine drones as there is no in game music.

Nitro is only a short burst so you can't zoom to the front in the same way.

Finally, password is only 16 letters not 22 so quicker to enter.

Graphics look similar - slightly smaller and the road is simpler - not sure, would need to see a side by side comparison. No in game music is a surprise too!

It's the most challenging of all versions - I wasn't easily winning and until I realised I had to slow down round the corners, was even in danger of not qualifying!!! Does feel different from the other versions and certainly doesn't have that relaxing quality that was almost the start of this whole thread.

I wouldn't say it was better or worse but different. Worth a try if you want something a bit more frenetic.

Last edited by Havie; 24 July 2020 at 22:44. Reason: Thought of a few extra things.
Old 24 July 2020, 23:03   #56
Havie

Found a Battle of the Ports on this game but sadly doesn't include the A500 version:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 July 2020, 00:21   #57
turrican9

Quote:
Found a Battle of the Ports on this game but sadly doesn't include the A500 version:

[ Show youtube player ]
This is the same video you posted in post 25? https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=25
Old 25 July 2020, 00:57   #58
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
This is the same video you posted in post 25? https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=25
Whoops - forgot. Forum police will be after me...
Old 25 July 2020, 01:53   #59
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I got Top Gear 2 for the Amiga 500 as a Christmas present back in the day.

I liked it in the main, and found it roughly comparable to the SNES version (although it didn't combine music and sound FX if I recall correctly).

It was quite easy and I completed it over a few days.

Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread, so I won't dwell on it. But I couldn't get over how the wheels didn't spin. The tyres weren't animated and thus looked stationary.
Old 25 July 2020, 02:08   #60
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Quote:
Whoops - forgot. Forum police will be after me...
This is Nancy at Chase Headquarters. We've got an emergency here. Havie the double poster has been spotted on EAB road...