English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 20 February 2024, 20:35   #21
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
I personally don't care where the source assets came from and whether AI is used (and to what extend). Parts of this could have been f.e. from a different Dune version for PCs for all I care. This seems to be a massively ambitious project and the result looks great!
70% of disagreements might be just due to envy that the AI system does not run in an unexpanded A1200
Old 20 February 2024, 22:18   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Looks pretty cool actually. Jessica is a little too baby-faced maybe, but meh. Who cares.

The owners of the IP are even more protective of it than Disney and Nintendo are though, so ssssht. Don't speak too loudly.
Old 21 February 2024, 00:22   #23
Bren McGuire

i'm just tired of seeing this AI crap and i value handicraft a lot more i want things made by a human

Quote:
Regarding the 'AI' talk, people should also consider that even if AI is used as a helper, the fact that an actual GFX artist is at the helm of this (which by the looks of it seems to absolutely know what he's doing) can really make the difference. The amount of work needed to keep the style and coloration consistent, convert, cleanup and retouch the assets, create UIs and in-game stuff (AI cannot make those), sort out palettes etc. would still require massive amount of manual work. The same goes for animation or recomposing stuff. All these need to be done manually and a lot of it from scratch.

I personally don't care where the source assets came from and whether AI is used (and to what extend). Parts of this could have been f.e. from a different Dune version for PCs for all I care. This seems to be a massively ambitious project and the result looks great!
Old 21 February 2024, 04:30   #24
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
i'm just tired of seeing this AI crap and i value handicraft a lot more i want things made by a human
If the difference between a game being made and a game not being made is the use of AI, would you rather it not be made? Curious, not intended to be a dick question
Old 21 February 2024, 04:59   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Agreed
Old 21 February 2024, 06:25   #26
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
If the difference between a game being made and a game not being made is the use of AI, would you rather it not be made? Curious, not intended to be a dick question
Not be made, thanks. AI generated art has no meaning, and it shows. I'm against auto-generated maps and 'fractal' terrain for the same reason.

We are being bombarded with AI crap now and it's getting worse. Recently a scientific paper had to be retract after it was discovered that the illustrations were generated by AI. Here's one of them. If you don't understand what this is supposed to represent, that's because it's pure gibberish.

Old 21 February 2024, 08:38   #27
freehand

If people can not match or exceed AI then as Alan sugar says "your fired " there is no threat here just up your game or move on.

I use some software for my gfx work in photography but are more like very good logarithms and the word AI strapped on top for sales purposes.
Old 21 February 2024, 09:12   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by freehand View Post
I use some software for my gfx work in photography but are more like very good logarithms and the word AI strapped on top for sales purposes.
There is certainly a huge difference between 'generated by' or 'made using' when it comes to AI. I tried chaiNNer on a few images and depending on what you are doing it's pretty great. Here is a gallery by Metin Seven that also uses AI as a tool to retouch photos: https://www.behance.net/gallery/1656...n-and-coloring

Edit: And before thinking that Metin is a huge fan of AI here's one of his Mastodon posts about AI https://oldbytes.space/@metin@graphi...54566486169003
Old 21 February 2024, 09:47   #29
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

A lot of people have said this isn't real and wont come out, especially as a large part of it is AI and the developer response is a bit off.

I for one hope it is real, but will leave this one to the back burner unless new footage comes out running on a real Amiga
Old 21 February 2024, 10:30   #30
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
I really do hope this happens. This is one of my most favorite games, which I still play today. It truely takes me back to being a kid.
Remember, a friend handing me a copy, with a photo copied manual, lol.
Then for my Birthday, I insisted on Dune. So end up with the original boxed version, .
Old 21 February 2024, 10:48   #31
Seiya

i think AI is good technology also to create games especially for Amiga to create assets for AGA games.
Old 21 February 2024, 12:10   #32
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
i think AI is good technology also to create games especially for Amiga to create assets for AGA games.

Not only it is a good technology for this purpose but it is the way to go.
You can't ask people to spend hundreds of hours on making a game for almost no profit. You can't ask them either to do everything like if they were in 1991. Modern tools, not only AI, facilitate greatly the work of making modern Amiga games.

AI doesn't steal any jobs here, it just makes working on an old non profitable platform easier and less time consuming.

Plus, AI have been already used in some recent Amiga games (and it is used probably in some extent on every recent Amiga game)
Old 21 February 2024, 13:04   #33
jotd
This cat is no more

I wish A.I. could help re-coloring 16 color games to 256 colors. At some point I had the project of creating Cadaver in AGA mode but there are 2 problems.

1) patching the original code (no source) to accept 256 color graphics and
2) have sufficiently good 256 color graphics so the result would be better than the original.

So far I haven't started 1) as 2) seems harder.
Old 21 February 2024, 13:54   #34
cloverskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Not be made, thanks. AI generated art has no meaning, and it shows. I'm against auto-generated maps and 'fractal' terrain for the same reason.
Auto-generated maps are part of what makes Roguelikes so fun, though! I know, I know, OT.
Old 21 February 2024, 14:09   #35
freehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
There is certainly a huge difference between 'generated by' or 'made using' when it comes to AI. I tried chaiNNer on a few images and depending on what you are doing it's pretty great. Here is a gallery by Metin Seven that also uses AI as a tool to retouch photos: https://www.behance.net/gallery/1656...n-and-coloring

Edit: And before thinking that Metin is a huge fan of AI here's one of his Mastodon posts about AI https://oldbytes.space/@metin@graphi...54566486169003
He used photo scape & affinity which are just alternates to photoshop which does the same but more expensive.

chaiNNer I will take a look at.
Old 21 February 2024, 14:13   #36
Team_Hoi
Former Amiga game creator

Lightbulb

I like using specialized AI models for processing pixel art in the chaiNNer application…

chaiNNer (read the introduction text for info)

Pixel art AI models (can be used in chaiNNer)

chaiNNer Discord (for answers to chaiNNer usage questions)

Enhance Everything Discord (for general info and tips regarding enhancement and upscaling)

Examples of what's possible

These are AI-aided image processing tools, such as upscalers, JPEG compression fixers, denoisers, etcetera. Not generative AI with prompts, as the self-proclaimed "AI artists" are using.

Have fun!

Last edited by Team_Hoi; 21 February 2024 at 18:55.
Old 21 February 2024, 14:19   #37
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thank you, Metin
Old 21 February 2024, 14:20   #38
Team_Hoi
Former Amiga game creator

Thumbs up

Old 21 February 2024, 18:03   #39
Bren McGuire

not a dick question at all very good question and i welcome discussing topics like this

yes i would rather not have a game made at all this way especially since this is a remake i value quality and craftmanship above everything

to clarify i am not against "computer generation" as a tool to create content that is systematic i am against "let an algorithm pretend to be an artist" i do not think there is a replacement for humans in that regard and results are always horrible no matter how much a real human "trained" those algorithms

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
Old 21 February 2024, 18:04   #40
Bren McGuire

no you cannot and that is not what i am asking but then the problem is different if people do not want to pay what is worth to do a handcrafted game i think most of the "consumers" especially in this "community" have incredibly unrealistic expectations of independent games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
You can't ask people to spend hundreds of hours on making a game for almost no profit.