English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 August 2021, 20:49   #81
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theq View Post
Imho, a CD32 Mini would make more sense than the A500 Mini (regarding no keyboard).
They don't want to sell this product to die hard Amiga fans but rather to the vast majority of people Who have a little bit of nostalgia of the 80/90 era and know the Amiga 500.
The CD32 is seen as a fraud for many peoples, and one of the worst console ever made, at least it don't have any nostalgia appeal for anyone.

Last edited by sokolovic; 11 August 2021 at 21:14.
Old 11 August 2021, 23:42   #82
spanner
none

Its amazing no one noticed it has white keys like the A1700...

I do not think the A500 had white keys..? It looks like it has a A1200 keyboard.

Old 12 August 2021, 00:54   #83
lmimmfn

I might get one, while i have my A1200 to tinker with if its a turn on and play device i think it could be fun, especially 2 player Speedball 2 on a tv. If it was an A500 maxi even though its a Pi, i would definitely buy it.
I realise FPGAs like the Mister are better but thats not plug and play either. I am disappointed that its Pi based vs FPGA.

Howeber I never owned a Megadrive but the mini is brilliant to just throw on here and there and doesnt take much room.

Despite its flaws, i think it could be fun even for us hardcore Amiga users.
Old 12 August 2021, 05:37   #84
Welshieinnz

I wonder what the emulated CPU is. There’s no way alien breed 3D will work on a stock A1200 emulation of an 020.
Old 12 August 2021, 10:25   #85
bni

This looks like total crap in every way. But it will be interesting to see if there still exists people that wants to buy a product like this.
Old 12 August 2021, 11:27   #86
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
People using it for their own use, fine, no issues, but people using it for their commercial enterprise, thats a whole lot of "nope".
Dam right! Very fucking cheeky indeed.

I don't really understand the appeal for this new device. May be I do? Just seems pointless to me although some people seem to be excited about here. A500 machines are a lot easier to pickup now particularly compared to A1200 which are insane prices. I guess if you didn't want to become too involved it serves its purpose.
Old 12 August 2021, 12:46   #87
sneckburger

I don't understand the negativity towards this?
Almost everyone on here would agree there's better alternatives, but for those not I can see it doing quite well.
Most of my mates had Amigas back in the day, but non would be interested in an original Amiga now, unless it had an hdmi port, didn't require setting up and was on a shop shelf like Menkind, Red5 or similar. They certainly don't care about who made it or whether or not it was ethical to use someone else's software / license.

The only negative impact I can see is that it could reduce the demand & value of original hardware.
But that's only really a bad thing if your in the business of selling Amigas.
Old 12 August 2021, 12:52   #88
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Oh really?

Well, firstly, utilising WHDLoad makes the end user experience so much easier, because now the inserting of 2nd disks etc, is all transparent and handled by WHDLoad.

However, if they are thinking of using WHDLoad, and using installs made by the guys that wrote the installs without payment....... that is not going to happen.

Just as Antstream realised the benefit of WHDLoad and the myriad of installs done by several of us, they paid for it.

For the people behind "TheA500" their contact better be forthcoming very soon.
I'm sure I'll get shot down in flames for saying this but... That statement might sound better coming from someone not proudly displaying a cracking group in their username, signature and avatar. Just a bit of self-awareness...
Old 12 August 2021, 13:13   #89
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
I'm sure I'll get shot down in flames for saying this but... That statement might sound better coming from someone not proudly displaying a cracking group in their username, signature and avatar. Just a bit of self-awareness...

Old 12 August 2021, 13:32   #90
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
This is something I don't understand. Apparently you have the foresight to know which way it will go... yet you do not ACT on it, you just go ahead and make your dire mistake anyway. What do you hope to achieve? Is it your goal to make enemies or something?
Old 12 August 2021, 13:50   #91
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
This is something I don't understand. Apparently you have the foresight to know which way it will go... yet you do not ACT on it, you just go ahead and make your dire mistake anyway. What do you hope to achieve? Is it your goal to make enemies or something?
Believe me, I’m not looking for a fight but I also intensely dislike hypocrisy and will call it out when I see it.
Old 12 August 2021, 14:44   #92
freehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon View Post
lol I nearly pissed my self seeing that.
Old 12 August 2021, 14:57   #93
dreadnought

Quote:
Believe me, I’m not looking for a fight but I also intensely dislike hypocrisy and will call it out when I see it.

I guess that's what they call "opening a can of worms". You make an interesting point, though it's not one that has a straightforward answer either way.
Old 12 August 2021, 16:01   #94
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
If you really wanted to insult a cracking group, point out they are too slow with the releases.

Jokes aside, if Retro Games didn't even bother to license the games, don't think they will care about WHDLoad either but agree they should. This is pure speculation, after reading the following, hmm...

Quote:
ATTENTION: Please read the enclosed documentation before use.
Designed in the United Kingdom. Made in China.
© 2021 Retro Games Ltd. THEA500 is a registered trademark of Retro Games Ltd. All other trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved. Product specification subject to change without notice. Amiga ROMs and Workbench: © 1985–1993 Cloanto Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Furnished under license from Cloanto Corporation. Cloanto is a trademark owned by Cloanto Corporation throughout the world and registered in the United States and internationally. WHDLoad is a trademark of WHD Llc.
Old 12 August 2021, 16:11   #95
sokolovic

Of course games are licensed. Team17 even made an official statement about the A500 mini.
Old 12 August 2021, 16:15   #96
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Of course games are licensed. Team17 even made an official statement about the A500 mini.
Alright, so far so good.
Old 12 August 2021, 17:07   #97
d4rk3lf

Umm.. not sure what to think of it...
Can you install Workbench on it? Play with Deluxe Paint, Octamed, Real 3D.. etc?
If not, then it's just a stupid console... just a fraction of Amiga experience.

Also, why is called A500, when in trailer there are some strictly Aga titles?
Old 12 August 2021, 17:17   #98
apex

THEA500 Mini has been announced via Retro Games Ltd. and distributed by Koch Media

WHDLoad is a Trademark of WHD LLC?
This point is not funny, I hope the original author will be contacted. Then it will be really a good machine, I know at least 3 new Amiga gamers.

Last edited by apex; 12 August 2021 at 18:12.
Old 12 August 2021, 17:55   #99
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Umm.. not sure what to think of it...
Can you install Workbench on it? Play with Deluxe Paint, Octamed, Real 3D.. etc?
If not, then it's just a stupid console... just a fraction of Amiga experience.

Also, why is called A500, when in trailer there are some strictly Aga titles?
Yes I'd like to know if it will be possible to have a full Amiga environnement and not just a frontend with games. I'm curious to see this machine sysinfo score.

As for the name, it's simple because the A500 was by far the most famous and legendary version of the Amiga. They want to sell it to nostalgic mass market, not to Amiga hobbyist.

Seems local to me to put AGA titles on it. That's not an ECS machine. Just an emulated Amiga. People wants an easy to use Amiga, that is what this product is intended for. Not something you'll have to configure for hours seeking the perfect configuration to play one game.
Old 12 August 2021, 20:14   #100
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
As for the name, it's simple because the A500 was by far the most famous and legendary version of the Amiga. They want to sell it to nostalgic mass market, not to Amiga hobbyist.

Seems local to me to put AGA titles on it. That's not an ECS machine. Just an emulated Amiga. People wants an easy to use Amiga, that is what this product is intended for. Not something you'll have to configure for hours seeking the perfect configuration to play one game.
Yeah, I know, and assumed all that... but still.. why not just simply name: mini Amiga?
And what if they want to sell mini A1200 in the future?
This is, sort of, shoot in the leg.

I am not bothered, nor I care, nor I am person that insist on technical stuff....
It's just looks to me.. like you create mini Snes, and then, in it's library, you put some Nintendo 64 games.
We can argue if AGA is big or small step forward, but it's still next generation Amiga.