English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 January 2009, 14:25   #1
Blackadder

Keys on keyboard need fixing

Hello all,

I recently bought myself an old second hand A500. I had one many moons ago, and decided that I really wanted one again! Both it and the C64 (of which I have a perfect working model still) were brilliant computers, so I went shopping online.

Problem: The drive works fine and it boots up well, however a number of keys are pretty stuffed up. They stay depressed, and do not spring back up again after hitting them. I am guessing there is some kind of spring system under the keys, but before opening it up and trying my hand I thought it makes sense to ask the experts if they have any idea of what the problem might be, and how to fix it.

One last problem which isn't hardware related, but...

My old kickstart disk seems to have corrupted over the years. Do I need to somehow buy a new one? Or is there another way to get a new copy?

Thank you
Old 21 January 2009, 20:17   #2
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
A500 units don't have a kickstart disk. Only the A1000 and the A3000 with ROM 1.4 does.

Are you meaning the boot Workbench disk? If so, I'm pretty sure a near fellow amigan will give you one. Just inform where you live first.

For the spring problems: you need check if it is the springs or dirty on the pin who makes contact with the matrix underneath. The key caps will pop off if you pry them with a small flat head screwdriver on the upper side.

If you see a lot of dirt, you need to carefully disassemble the keyboard (a bunch of really small Phillips screws under it). Just make sure to not mess with the membrane and gently take each contact pin out of the hole and clean with clean water.

Be careful remember to take a picture of the upper side of the keyboard before the disassembling begins! If you forget to take the picture, you sure will have problems remembering where each key cap belongs to.
Old 22 January 2009, 01:58   #3
Blackadder

I will get right on it and report back.

I live in Australia, Sydney, NSW in case anyone has the workbench. Yes, that is what it is...instead of looking at the label, I have been reading 'kickstart' everywhere here and it kind of stuck in my head
Old 22 January 2009, 06:51   #4
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Plenty of users near you then BA...but if nobody will help with a disk, let me know, I'm not far away

PZ.
Old 26 January 2009, 15:21   #5
Blackadder

Ok,

Sorry for the delay, I have been away for a while. After checking out the keyboard, it seems that there are springs missing. I popped one of the good keys, and there was the spring. Popped a bad key and while it depressed and works, there is no spring so the key lays virtually all the way down in its slot. Can I raid an old PC keyboard? Or is another option needed?

Also, I nobody seems to be offering a copy of workbench. How would I go about aquiring a copy?

Cheers
Old 26 January 2009, 16:00   #6
Gordon
Settler

they sometimes have spare keybaords on ebay, they have 1200 ones, not sure if its the same fitting
Old 26 January 2009, 23:16   #7
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Or go to http://www.amibay.com and ask for the springs. Surely someone will give some to you.
Old 27 January 2009, 00:12   #8
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

@BA - Drop me a PM...I have something for you

PZ.
Old 27 January 2009, 11:50   #9
Blackadder

Thanks friends,

I registered on Aminet, just waiting for the confirmation email then I can put a post up. Must say, the Amiga crowd are the friendliest, most helpful people on the net. I will definately stick around and try to help out other enthusiasts when the opportunity arises.

The new (well, you know what I mean) 500 is almost ready. Just finished putting a new battery in for the 512 expansion I got on the cheap, and got rid of the corrosion. A little soldering later and now she is as good as new. Passed all tests with flying colours.

Just need to get the five keys or so resprung, so to speak, follow the advice given to me here, and all set.

Thanks again
Old 27 January 2009, 18:50   #10
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Nice One BA

Glad you rescued her..............Gives a sense of satisfaction & pride does it not.

Damn everytime I read one of your posts I keep hearing a voice in my head singing "Blackadder Blackadder"

TC
Old 28 January 2009, 04:42   #11
Blackadder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
Nice One BA

Glad you rescued her..............Gives a sense of satisfaction & pride does it not.

Damn everytime I read one of your posts I keep hearing a voice in my head singing "Blackadder Blackadder"

TC
Yes, it does.

No thanks to Percy and Baldrick. Useless gits.

Edit: got a suitable avatar to help you out.

Last edited by Blackadder; 28 January 2009 at 04:48.