English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 13 August 2016, 10:17   #21
meynaf
son of 68k

The best is still DeliPlayer, and it will remain so until someone takes a similar approach.

I'm currently writing a player on the Amiga. If someone is able to make a windows app with a player GUI and a decent 68k JIT, it could use my replayers and we'd end up with Delitracker's level of accuracy, perhaps even better.
Old 13 August 2016, 12:12   #22
ptyerman

What would be better is a program that uses Delitrackers/Deliplayers/Eagleplayer replayers.
Why use someone else's replayers or even create different ones when the best are already available?
Old 13 August 2016, 12:33   #23
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I'm currently writing a player on the Amiga.
Thank you meynaf, something new was needed, maybe some nice GUI (Skin interchangeable) compatible with high RTG screens resolutions.
Old 13 August 2016, 12:48   #24
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
What would be better is a program that uses Delitrackers/Deliplayers/Eagleplayer replayers.
It already exists and is called UADE.

Quote:
Why use someone else's replayers or even create different ones when the best are already available?
Because DT is too limited (no 16 bit support in note players, no integrated buffering system for streamed audio, etc) and is too low level (players often do direct hardware/system access and these involve too much emulation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Thank you meynaf, something new was needed, maybe some nice GUI (Skin interchangeable) compatible with high RTG screens resolutions.
For now i don't have a GUI ; only a simple, unfinished command-line player. So a good GUI is welcome.
The goal isn't only playing MOD/MED with the best accuracy, but also Flac, OGG, etc.
Old 13 August 2016, 12:57   #25
ptyerman

I'm not on about Delitracker or the Amiga side of it at all. But for Windows it all exists already except for a compatible GUI which works, which is what you commented about.
UADE doesn't natively run in Windows so no idea what your on about there.
In Windows I run WinUAE minimized and in Linux I just use Deliplayer through Wine, works a treat. Or for normal tracker type modules, Audacious.
Old 13 August 2016, 14:00   #26
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
I'm not on about Delitracker or the Amiga side of it at all. But for Windows it all exists already except for a compatible GUI which works, which is what you commented about.
DeliPlayer can use DeliTracker replayers so there IS a compatible GUI that works.
My point is just about making a player that would run on both systems.

Quote:
UADE doesn't natively run in Windows so no idea what your on about there.
Some windows programs such as BZRPlayer use it (among other libs).
Old 13 August 2016, 14:10   #27
ptyerman

Your splitting hairs now for the sake of it, Deliplayer does not work on Windows after XP, at least not properly.
Anyway I'll leave it at that, your totally in your right to develop what you want, no contest.
Just that when you suggested a Windows GUI, it would be nice to have a replacement for Deliplayer, it already has the most replayers there is and could play just about anything. It would make sense to re-use those replayers in a GUI that worked on new Windows versions after XP.
Old 13 August 2016, 15:02   #28
meynaf
son of 68k

Well, ok, Deliplayer isn't exactly the best solution, even though a guy here apparently made it work on win10.

Of course it would be nice to have a replacement, but in case you didn't know it's closed source and if they changed something in comparison to old DT it's not documented anywhere !
Old 13 August 2016, 15:40   #29
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

On the PC I use a combination of ModPlugTracker and Med Sound Studio - does everything I want it too.... all I need is a good 808 synth on the PC...

Now that I come to think of it, there used to be a program on the Amiga, that would "render" a "sound sample" from a set up of envelopes and notes based around the 808 if memory serves - I just cannot remember the name.... rombler sounds familiar but I have never been able to find it... I think it may of came from an AmigaFormat CD - I would love to find this program again - in fact I am going to put up a request.
Old 13 August 2016, 15:55   #30
Axxy

Deliplayer wasn't quite working properly even on Win7 (compatibility mode), haven't tried on Win10 yet. Was it running adequately on Win10?

I currently use XMPlay to play everything at the moment, I just wish it would use skins like Winamp did, some windows look too small on high res displays...

I use Modplayer (still) and BRZPlayer, Milky & OpenMPT (plus Saga's Mod Library program)... I'm more interested in "tracker" modules rather than all the exotic formats tbh.

I just wish Windows had a decent all round replayer, bit like Winamp for modules...
Old 13 August 2016, 16:50   #31
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
If someone is able to make a windows app with a player GUI and a decent 68k JIT, it could use my replayers and we'd end up with Delitracker's level of accuracy, perhaps even better.
It would be interesting to get your Player also AROS, fI did a little 'test on my ICAROS and opens there are no players that support the file MED, seek clarification on aros-exec, the Player Mod tested are those in the screenshot

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 15 March 2017 at 00:41.
Old 22 August 2016, 02:08   #32
chris70c

Flod

Not exactly for Windows but you might want to give FLOD a try...
http://www.neoartcr.com/

Cheers
Chris

Old 12 March 2018, 02:06   #33
MagikGimp

Send a message via ICQ to MagikGimp Send a message via AIM to MagikGimp Send a message via MSN to MagikGimp Send a message via Yahoo to MagikGimp
Hooooo ZXtune

I've been thinking about this thread for the last week or so, and now I'm thinking of bringing it back to the top of the board (sorry mods!)

I wanted to make a few suggestions -- there's quite a surprisingly wide choice of software out there to find if you look -- but each was letting me down on some detail. XMPlay is my personal goto but it relies on plug-ins that fall outdated and there are some other gripes I have with it that I won't go into now. And then I came across ZXtune (https://zxtune.bitbucket.io/) again while spring-cleaning my computer ready for a backup. And is there nothing it can't play? OK, I know there are some module types it can't do (not sure which specifically) and then there's SNDH files too, but then nothing bloody plays that wonderful format (neglect!), but other than that...? I haven't done anywhere near thorough testing. But I plan to! I'll perhaps keep you all updated if there's still interest. Or providing I don't get banned for bumping old threads (and my avatar!)
Old 12 March 2018, 02:21   #34
MagikGimp

Send a message via ICQ to MagikGimp Send a message via AIM to MagikGimp Send a message via MSN to MagikGimp Send a message via Yahoo to MagikGimp
Ah, it doesn't play all MED files accurately, but at least it does play them. DeliPlayer is still the only thing I can find that does but it's a pain to get working and not have interfere with modern Windows. And that doesn't play certain other formats correctly either. Unless you need to tweak settings I don't know about? If it doesn't have the damnedest most complicated interface to navigate to do so of any software ever, I'd like to see worse!
Old 12 March 2018, 02:41   #35
AmigaBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagikGimp View Post
Ah, it doesn't play all MED files accurately, but at least it does play them. DeliPlayer is still the only thing I can find that does but it's a pain to get working and not have interfere with modern Windows. And that doesn't play certain other formats correctly either. Unless you need to tweak settings I don't know about? If it doesn't have the damnedest most complicated interface to navigate to do so of any software ever, I'd like to see worse!
I'm not an audio guy so I don't know what works and what doesn't, but shouldn't UADE theoretically play everything accurately since it uses UAE at its core? I just tried the Windows binary from http://zakalwe.fi/uade/download.html and the few MODs and MEDs that I tried worked fine.
Old 12 March 2018, 07:47   #36
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBoy View Post
I'm not an audio guy so I don't know what works and what doesn't, but shouldn't UADE theoretically play everything accurately since it uses UAE at its core? I just tried the Windows binary from http://zakalwe.fi/uade/download.html and the few MODs and MEDs that I tried worked fine.
In theory, yes. In practice, even amiga players are sometimes outdated and uade itself does not seem actively maintained...
Old 12 March 2018, 07:58   #37
chip

The last version of EaglePlayer is dated 2016-11-23

So, it should be updated enough to play correctly all the MOD/MED files around ..... or not ?
Old 12 March 2018, 08:00   #38
Vousti
Banned

I use VLC for MODs. Accuracy my ass.
Old 12 March 2018, 08:10   #39
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
The last version of EaglePlayer is dated 2016-11-23

So, it should be updated enough to play correctly all the MOD/MED files around ..... or not ?
Normally, yes. But iirc it has internal player for mods that cannot be transferred over to uade...
Old 12 March 2018, 08:21   #40
chip

So, it's better a player which relies on external players ?