English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 September 2014, 07:53   #1
mags

Clockport can be used like RPI GPIO port?

Hello amiga community.

I am an amiga user since 1989 (big gap between 1994 and 2006). Now I have a big collection, but I consider myself as a complete beginner.

Recently I come up with Raspberry Pi (RPI) and I am impressed with all the hardware experiments you can do using its GPIO port (I guess they are easy hardware experiments and in most of them you don't need much computing power). I was wondering if it is possible to use Amiga 1200 clock port like the RPI GPIO port, or they are totally different ports?

It is possible to adapt RPI experiments (using some special crafted hardware + software) to perform in amiga 1200? I think that may open a whole new universe of possibilities for amiga enthusiasts.

any comments?

thanks.

Old 15 September 2014, 08:45   #2
Jope
-

The clock port is memory mapped io, you need address decoding and a chip that provides you a register you can write to in order to be able to use it as GPIO.

If you want a pre-provided TTL GPIO port, use the printer port, like everyone on every computer did in the 80s/90s.

8-bit C= users used the user port for the same purpose.
Old 15 September 2014, 09:06   #3
mags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The clock port is memory mapped io, you need address decoding and a chip that provides you a register you can write to in order to be able to use it as GPIO.

If you want a pre-provided TTL GPIO port, use the printer port, like everyone on every computer did in the 80s/90s.

8-bit C= users used the user port for the same purpose.
Thanks, I see.

So you say it is possible to replicate or at least do equivalent hardware projects as for the RPI using the printer port?

Old 15 September 2014, 12:03   #4
Jope
-

Sure, just bitbang away.

Be careful though, it's very easy to burn your CIA, unless of course you add a buffer chip along the line.
Old 15 September 2014, 15:02   #5
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
It is possible to adapt RPI experiments (using some special crafted hardware + software) to perform in amiga 1200? I think that may open a whole new universe of possibilities for amiga enthusiasts.

any comments?
Yes, one - RPI have 700MIPS and various hardware accelerators so you can waste resources and do bit banging where Amiga have around 0.6 - 0.8MIPS and bit-banging need to be smart and limited to maximum.

You can use various ports in Amiga as GPIO - joystick/mouse ports are bidirectional, serial and parallel are bidirectional, even FDD port can be used as bidirectional GPIO.