English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 30 August 2012, 21:15   #1
Cherno

Speedball 2: Weird thing about the title screen

This one has bugged me since the first time I played Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe 20 years ago.

the title screen shows a huge archway that obviously leads to the arena from the game itself; on the far side is the goal, and the two big bumpers on both sides.

Now, in the game itself there is no entrance on one side of the pitch, and why would there? The field has to be symmetrical, so is there some kind of wall with the goal in it than can move down and slot in the open space before the archway when the match starts

Interestingly, a part of what seems to be another archway is just visible on the far side behind the goal.

Please explain this architectural oddity to me, or I have to live another 20 years without being able to sleep at night!
Old 30 August 2012, 21:40   #2
DH
Global Moderator

lol, think about it.....

That archway you see on the other side appears to be the goal mouth, and the archway we're looking through is this sides goal mouth. the two round parts are either side of the pitch, so whoever drew that used an imaginary wide angled lens that managed to capture and distort the inside of the arena but not the main entrance lol

Take a look at the screenshots on HOL and you'll see what I mean http://hol.abime.net/2047/screenshot

Of course I could be wrong, but I doubt it because it looks too obvious

Edit: Of course, an artist can draw whatever he likes and in whatever form he wants, a bit like a cartoonist, the impossible becomes the possible

Last edited by DH; 31 August 2012 at 00:03.
Old 30 August 2012, 22:53   #3
lesta_smsc

Is indeed we are looking through the goals mouth - then that man is TINY compared to the in game player:goal ratio!
Old 30 August 2012, 23:02   #4
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
and the two big bumpers on both sides.
Therefore it is not the arena/playfield.

The 2 wall bumpers (those which electrify the ball, turning it red) on the field are placed diagonally to each other.
So even with an "imaginary wide angled lens" as imagined by DH, there is absolutely no way that you could such a point of view (the only place where you could see both of them facing each other is in a corner).

I do believe however that is was meant to be the playfield at one point.
The most likely reason anyway is probably that this screen was drawn based on early concepts/sketches.

Or you could imagine that future technology allows self-modifying constructions, with sliding walls and stuff like that.
Old 31 August 2012, 00:03   #5
DH
Global Moderator

<cough>

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Edit: Of course, an artist can draw whatever he likes and in whatever form he wants, a bit like a cartoonist, the impossible becomes the possible
Who cares, the game is awsome and I won't lose any sleep over it
Old 31 August 2012, 08:36   #6
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Speedball 2 really is an all-time classic!
Old 02 September 2012, 17:00   #7
discomeats
Just add brown sauce.

He's going off into the big scary arena to engage in sportybattle with badasses.

It's symbolism, innit.