English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 15 February 2017, 10:40   #1
Toryglen-boy
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Glesga
Posts: 265
Amiga OS 3.5

Howdy

Is this worth the upgrade from 3.0/3.1? looking at getting this, but cant find much info on 3.5, Google gives me plenty of threads that say, "Never mind OS 3.5, get 3.9 instead", well, that's not an option


Looking for any opinions on 3.5 (only) based around using it, issues you might have had, what significant changes from 3.1 that kinda thing

many thanks

Toryglen-boy is offline  
Old 15 February 2017, 12:41   #2
kriz
Junior Member
kriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: No(R)Way
Age: 39
Posts: 2,762
3.9 is newer, and 3.5/3.9 was mostly just added extra software to 3.1 ...
kriz is offline  
Old 15 February 2017, 13:27   #3
honx
Registered User

honx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Klagenfurt / Austria
Posts: 1,463
why use 3.5? real improvements came with 3.9...
honx is offline  
Old 15 February 2017, 14:55   #4
Locutus
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,003
There might be a point to it that everyone tells you to skip 3.5 for actual use.
Locutus is offline  
Old 15 February 2017, 15:40   #5
Toryglen-boy
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Glesga
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
There might be a point to it that everyone tells you to skip 3.5 for actual use.
I am asking about 3.5, because, that's what someone gave me. i don't have 3.9.

Last edited by DamienD; 15 February 2017 at 15:51.
Toryglen-boy is offline  
Old 15 February 2017, 15:51   #6
Toryglen-boy
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Glesga
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I can delete the thread but you may get some useful information eventually.

I'll tell you what I'd do; clean up the thread instead
thank you.

i tried to put the query as simple as possible. i didn't think it could be misread. the first thing i said was 3.9 wasn't a go-er, and then everyone went "3.9"

Imagine if you had to buy a car for work, a diesel, for tax reasons, it had to be a diesel, and you posted a thread asking about the best diesel car, it had to be diesel, and you stated your reasons, and then you got spammed with, "get petrol", you would be frustrated to. I went of the deep end, sorry. i was just .... stunned. thanks for sortin' it up


Toryglen-boy is offline  
Old 15 February 2017, 15:59   #7
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 5,248
To answer your question: it depends on what you want to do. There are many significant improvements under the hood as well as visually, but if all you do is play old games then it makes little to no difference. Some of the more obvious improvements:

- CD-ROM support
- New icons and visual style
- Asynchronous Workbench usage
- New HDToolbox, FFS and scsi.device for hard drives >4GB
- Prefs, tools and utilities all reworked for ReAction toolkit instead of GadTools

And other behind-the-scenes stuff. Yes, most of this can also be achieved by patching 3.1, but 3.5 gives you a complete setup of integrated improvements known to work with each other.

For my personal usage, I got 3.5 as soon as it was available and it was a massive improvement over 3.1. But then I upgraded to 3.9 as soon as that was available too, so it's about 16 years since I used 3.5 so the specifics are a little fuzzy...
Daedalus is offline  
Old 15 February 2017, 16:20   #8
ancalimon
Supernormal

ancalimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Istanbul / Turkey
Age: 40
Posts: 1,357
Back in the day when it was released, many of us preordered and get it and used it until OS3.9 came. Today you should buy 3.9 and use it.

Those were the days of transition. Amiga was already dead as we knew it and things were moving forward.
ancalimon is offline  
Old 15 February 2017, 17:25   #9
matthey
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,284
AmigaOS 3.5 is probably a worthwhile upgrade from AmigaOS 3.1 if better RTG (gfx card) and larger drive support are needed. AmigaOS 3.9 has better RTG support allowing a significantly faster layers.library to be used though. There are more enhancements for AmigaOS 3.9 and AmigaOS 3.1 while AmigaOS 3.5 is an in between orphan. It is usable as is but will either leave you wanting AmigaOS 3.9 or ready to return to amigaOS 3.1.
matthey is offline  
Old 15 February 2017, 23:06   #10
Toryglen-boy
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Glesga
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
To answer your question: it depends on what you want to do. There are many significant improvements under the hood as well as visually, but if all you do is play old games then it makes little to no difference. Some of the more obvious improvements:

- CD-ROM support
- New icons and visual style
- Asynchronous Workbench usage
- New HDToolbox, FFS and scsi.device for hard drives >4GB
- Prefs, tools and utilities all reworked for ReAction toolkit instead of GadTools

And other behind-the-scenes stuff. Yes, most of this can also be achieved by patching 3.1, but 3.5 gives you a complete setup of integrated improvements known to work with each other.

For my personal usage, I got 3.5 as soon as it was available and it was a massive improvement over 3.1. But then I upgraded to 3.9 as soon as that was available too, so it's about 16 years since I used 3.5 so the specifics are a little fuzzy...
thats fine chief, at least you didn't tell me to get 3.9



Toryglen-boy is offline  
Old 16 February 2017, 00:10   #11
ma693541
Computer Wizard

ma693541's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ramberg/Norway
Posts: 870
@Toryglen-boy, you can read a review of AmigaOS 3.5 here;
Welcome to AmigaOS 3.5 ! You can even enhance it with BoingBags from this page; AmigaOS 3.5 - Downloads Good Luck with it.
ma693541 is offline  
Old 16 February 2017, 13:14   #12
Toryglen-boy
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Glesga
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
@Toryglen-boy, you can read a review of AmigaOS 3.5 here;
Welcome to AmigaOS 3.5 ! You can even enhance it with BoingBags from this page; AmigaOS 3.5 - Downloads Good Luck with it.
many thanks

Toryglen-boy is offline  
Old 16 February 2017, 17:53   #13
idrougge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
3.9 is newer, and 3.5/3.9 was mostly just added extra software to 3.1 ...
Not true. By that metric, only OS 2.0 ever added something substantial to AmigaOS.
idrougge is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09720 seconds with 14 queries