English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 April 2010, 23:19   #1
Info-Seeker

Can anyone burn me a GuruRom for my GVP?

Hey guys,

I need the latest GuruRom for GVP (6.14) burned to a prom for my accelerator. I would greatly appreciate any help with this...

It's a 27256 or 27512.

I wouldn't mind figuring out how to do it myself either. I can score a willem programmer on ebay for pretty cheap, but I have never used 1 before.

Thanks!!

Info-Seeker
Old 12 April 2010, 23:33   #2
Photon

I think you also need the PCB it came on? If it's from Babel making it harder to copy or if it actually has some hardware on it that makes it faster, I don't know.
Old 12 April 2010, 23:37   #3
Info-Seeker

Yep, Thanks Photon. I actually already have 1 here, but it is very old, a v1.10. So I have the little board and everything, I just need to update the prom to the latest version so I can have 64bit drive support.

Thanks for lookin out for me though, very much appreciated!

Info-Seeker
Old 13 April 2010, 02:34   #4
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
as I`ve just acquired a GVP HC+8 II rev 2, scsi + ram card, for my A4000. Its rom is 4.13
what is the biggist HDD I can use ? and what are my options for a newer rom ? as the GuruRom needs a PCB as I have just read is it easy to make or to get ?
Old 13 April 2010, 03:01   #5
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
it's not just a pcb. there's a small gal on it which performs an unknown function. it's a copy protection scheme by ralph babel. you can't get it made or or make one yourself. you have to buy an original.
Old 13 April 2010, 03:13   #6
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
thanks coze, so thats the GuruRom question sorted, sorta guessed it be something like that

Now whats latest version of the GVP rom and what size HDD can it handle ??
Old 13 April 2010, 05:27   #7
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
With the latest 4.15 ROM you can use up to 4Gb of RAM.

Using the binddriver GURU ROM version you'll be able to use up any size of SCSI HD you can grab, providing you have a suitable file system.
Old 13 April 2010, 09:42   #8
Info-Seeker

4.15 only lets you use up to a 4gig drive? That sux, I have like 8 of those chips here... I bought 4 of them from a guy which never showed up, so he sent me 4 more. Then the day after the second package got here, the first 1 showed up... Me being the nice guy I am, I told him they came and paid for the extra chips. I didn't know there was a 4 gig limit with them though... Now it makes it even more important I get the GuruRom burned!

Info-Seeker
Old 13 April 2010, 22:25   #9
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
it's not just a pcb. there's a small gal on it which performs an unknown function. it's a copy protection scheme by ralph babel. you can't get it made or or make one yourself. you have to buy an original.
Does he still sell them?
Old 14 April 2010, 09:52   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
there's a small gal on it which performs an unknown function.
The function is known. It *think* it is emulated in WinUAE. I offered to make the PCB's a few years back but Ralph Babel asked me not to. He wanted a little more time for Amiga shops to sell all their back stock.

Quote:
it's a copy protection scheme by ralph babel.
It is not a copy protection. It is a banking system. Patrik wrote the function of the GAL in another EAB post :

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
The switcher works so that on a read, when A13-A5 all are zeroes, it will set A14 on the EPROM to what A0 is. This enables the EPROM to be 32kB (two 16kB banks)
Toni Wilen confirmed this.

Quote:
you can't get it made or or make one yourself. you have to buy an original.
You could make your own if you wanted to. DJbase??

Last edited by alexh; 14 April 2010 at 10:01.
Old 14 April 2010, 14:19   #11
Info-Seeker

so can you make them now? I need a few of them...
Old 14 April 2010, 14:48   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Get the OK from Ralph Babel and I'll look into it.
Old 14 April 2010, 23:36   #13
Info-Seeker

my email is down at the moment.. my laptop and main pc motherboard both died within 3 days of each other... it has given me some time to play with the Amigas, so it turned in to a good thing, but for the moment, I can barely look at web pages on this cheapy laptop...

If you have a relationship with him, it might b better for you to make contact, otherwise it will take me another week or so to get back up and running.

For now though, I have 1 of the gururoms and boards, I just need the latest rom burned to a prom for me so I can use my larger hard drive.

If anyone can make me 1 of these roms I would really appreciate it, and pay you for your time. Otherwise I have to buy a prom burner and some blanks to try and figure it out myself...

Info-Seeker
Old 15 April 2010, 03:04   #14
rkauer

Babel's answer will be the same as in Amibay: you can provide the hardware to anyone, if totally free of charge.

This means: nobody can ask you a dime for the package, neither the postage. Any other condition is not accepted and can incur in legal claims from Ralph, since the ROM and adapter board contents are his intellectual property. No exceptions.
Old 15 April 2010, 03:38   #15
Info-Seeker

Well, I'd be happy to pay for the blank prom and the cost of shipping it to me.. and if anyone would be kind enough to put the image on it for me for free prior to shipping,I would really appreciate it and be in your debt...

Is there any way I can put the image on the amiga and just load it in to memory? I read something about BindDrivers related to something else, but would that work in this scenario?

How does everyone else use a large hard drive on their Amigas?

Info
Old 22 April 2010, 20:37   #16
Info-Seeker

Hey Guys,

Since I didn't get any offers to help burn me a prom, I went ahead and purchased a nice prom burner off ebay for 50 bux, the latest dual powered willem...

While I was looking for a few blanks, I came across a guy selling them for $2 each, who also offered to burn anything you wanted on it prior to shipping. Well, I took him up on it and asked him to burn me 2 of the latest GuruRoms prior to shipping. They came yesterday, and worked the first time as soon as I put them in...

I can now see all 18 gigs of my scsi sca hard drive on the 2000 with a $3 sca to 50 / 68 pin adapter also off ebay.

Here is a link to his current auction for 27256 EProms...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220568013662

The guys name is shadow_nightwarrior and has 100% feedback with over 800 transactions... He was really a nice guy, answered my questions within an hour of my asking prior to purchase, and even took the time to answer some of my general questions about burning eproms since I had already purchased the willem and was planning on burning them myself.

I have seen people charging $15 for the latest 4.15 gvp firmware burned to a prom, as well as a bunch of other lamers trying to make a quick buck off of others in need.

As a result, I wanted to share my experience and good fortune in hopes that anyone else in need can share in my success.

For the record, I have never spoken to this guy prior to my initial inquiry about the eproms like 5 days prior to this post, nor have I ever purchased anything from him other than these 2 eproms. I am not trying to shill for the guy, I get no benefit from anyone else purchasing chips from him, I only made this post because I am extremely happy with the outcome of my transaction, and would like to share my find and experience with you guys.

Thanks for everyone who helped me down the path from my GVP won't see anything buy the first partition, to the 4gig barrier / 64bit addressing issue, to the determination my prom was out of date.

I am extremely happy to be a member of such a great resource for Amiga users.

Info-Seeker
Old 23 April 2010, 02:00   #17
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@thread

I wrote a 4.15 GVP ROM for my 500HD+

using the gvpscsi.device with HDToolsBox (basic 3.1 Workbench) I was able to see and prepare an 18GB SCSI HDD.

I couldn't use SFS as its not compatible with the standard 68k moto.

I have the GURU adapter myself and I programed a 27c512 chip, (double the data, i.e. burnt the higher part the same as the lower part)

however it all it would do (forgive the pun) is GURU, it wouldn't boot in either the A2000 HC8 or the A500HD+8

I will try again when I get some time.
Old 23 April 2010, 03:44   #18
rkauer

My good friend, I may give you a hint: booting from another autoboot device and using the binddriver version of the Guru ROM (a second reboot for removing the first boot device) will let you use the card as if the Guru ROM was placed.

OK, nothing beats real hardware.

What about PFS3? It is now FREEWARE (sic!) and works perfect with plain 68000 CPU.
Old 23 April 2010, 18:11   #19
Info-Seeker

Hey Guys,

Rkauer: Can you do the binddriver thing with any driver? I had considered trying that while I was waiting to find out if I could get someone to burn me the eprom, but I didn't see a binddriver specific version of the GuruRom like I saw on the author's page for the 4.15 GVP Driver. I had asked a few people in the Efnet #Amiga channel if you could bind any driver in the manner of which you speak, but nobody knew the answer, and I never got around to trying it.
Old 23 April 2010, 18:46   #20
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
yes, just download the binddriver version of 4.15 from ralph babels site.

however keep in mind that you will have to boot your miggy from floppy in this case, which defeats the purpose of owning a hdd IMHO.