English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 September 2013, 19:18   #1
WaltC

Problem with Amiga Dragon Wars...

I liked this game a lot when I originally played it on my A2xxx! Trying to use WinUAE 2.6.x I've run into a problem...

For some reason the keys "S" for save and "Q" for quit do not work at all--while every one of the other keys work perfectly. No problems with display or sound--and this occurs for me running either version 1.0 or 1.2.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

(The DOS version of this game, which I never saw or played, looks awful by comparison...but that may end up being my only alternative if I cannot get this worked out.)

Old 14 September 2013, 19:26   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

maybe try 0.98
Old 14 September 2013, 19:38   #3
WaltC

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
maybe try 0.98
Good suggestion--I'll give it a whirl...

Old 14 September 2013, 20:07   #4
WaltC

Unfortunately, .98 was of no help. Now I'm wondering if perhaps I need to adjust this game's UAE permissions, or possibly disable UAC...though this hasn't been a problem in other Amiga games that I've emulated...

Old 14 September 2013, 20:21   #5
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
You wouldn't be using those keys for joystick emulation by any chance (either through a custom input panel or by using Keyboard Layout C in Game Ports)?
Old 14 September 2013, 20:55   #6
Marcuz

Is it possible that the game is badly cracked or that the protection has not been passed?
Old 15 September 2013, 00:02   #7
WaltC

This problem is officially solv-ed! Dummy here (that's me) forgot about the Amiga-Open key that is pressed before the Q or S command key! Equivalent on my Keyboard is the HOME key/Q....brings up the save-game requester!

Thanks for everyone who thought that I remembered what I was doing and gave it a shot! Heh-Heh... Thanks very much! And to think...at one time I knew AMIGAdos & Workbench like the back of my hand...tsk...my how the time has flown away!

Old 15 September 2013, 07:22   #8
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>forgot about the Amiga-Open key that is pressed before the Q or S command

You mean the Right Amiga key? Amiga-Open, that sounds like something a Crapintosh user would say.
Old 17 September 2013, 16:31   #9
WaltC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
>forgot about the Amiga-Open key that is pressed before the Q or S command

You mean the Right Amiga key? Amiga-Open, that sounds like something a Crapintosh user would say.
Does, doesn't it? Heh... I read that somewhere in looking for a solution here...and I'm afraid simply repeated it before thinking about it. Definitely written by a Mac user--with that marvelous one-button mouse of theirs. Years ago, after C= went belly up, I worked for a big Apple VAR for a couple of years--I had great deals on a PowerMac I could have taken advantage of--but I had a couple of Amigas still at home that I was still using and an x86 box--and I could not talk myself into buying a Mac. Never will.

Old 17 September 2013, 18:34   #10
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Well, Macs are OK for running MorphOS on ;-)
Old 17 September 2013, 20:19   #11
WaltC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Well, Macs are OK for running MorphOS on ;-)
....;) And now Macs are all x86 PCs running OS X! Do you remember all of those years when Jobs (RIP) did nothing but rip Intel publicly with his "selected photoshop filters" which supposedly "proved" how much better the PPC (the first one he used) was...? It was so ironic for me when Apple announced it was moving over to the "inferior x86 paradigm"...Apple....ugh....

I was disappointed when Moto got out of the consumer cpu business, though--I never owned an '060, but I did own an '040 in an A4000...as we all know, it's not cisc vs. risc anymore--but everything is a cisc/risc hybrid, sort of, these days... C= simply did not know what it had in the Amiga, wouldn't you agree? In the end, the Amiga was little more than Medhi Ali's personal plaything, sad to say--but back in those days I used to do emails with David Haynie telling him what I liked about his notion of RTG--the memories are coming fast at the moment!

Thanks for chatting me up here Minuous...I'm having all of these flashbacks to the "good old days" (seat of my pants days, I used to say...;)) Did you ever use a scripting program called "T-Rexx Professional" (Based on Arexx)? Man, I loved that program, and with the Amiga's preemptive multitasking it was just amazing what I could do with it--even as x86 boxes stopped stone dead while loading a file from a floppy! Had a Toaster hooked up to it, recorders, Sunrize 24-bit sound card and stuff i can't recall--and every one of those things had its own software Arexx port--so I could run 'em/control'em all at the same time with T-rexx with real-time accurate scripting!

IMO, what really killed the Amiga in the end was the same thing that killed the Studebaker automobile--it was 20 years or so ahead of its time (some may disagree with me about the car.) You know, I can remember doing stuff with it that I would be hard-pressed to even do today on a Win8 box! 'course other stuff, like memory protection and the like, was strictly light weight at the time, etc. Stability could have been better...:D...and would have been, given time. Man, what fun! (Sorry to get off on a tangent!)