English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 April 2021, 00:50   #1
PDrill

Extreme CPU usage in the 'Amiga'

I finally put up antother PC to do some misc stuff, including WinUAE. I've been using WinUAE for years every now and then and it has always worked 100% but now it doesn't.

I noticed a problem with the sounds when I was running the first demo on it and after looking in to it, it seems the Amiga CPU usage is enormous. In Wndows the WinUAE CPU usage isn't much, but WinUAE shows CPU loads up to and even over 100% (FPS ~40) just when waiting for WB1.3 floppy to be inserted. And when it starts to load workbench, the CPU goes >130%. When running demos the CPU can get as high as 300% and FPS goes below 10. I've disabled sounds but that has no effect, the sound distortion seems to be just a symptom of the problem. Funny thing is, if I set WUAE up so that it keeps on running even when in background and I hit ctlr-alt-del, as long as I'm in the blueish screen that comes up after that, the sounds are better (and most likely the CPU usage goes down).

I'm running Win7 on both my PC's, same version of WUAE, no settings in WUAE have been fiddled with except ROM (1.3) and a file in DF0: My #1 PC is much more powerful than the #2 (the problem computer), but as the windows side show a decent CPU usage for WUAE it shouldn't be the reason.

My C= and Amiga usage has been about 99.9% real HW / 0.1% emulation, and at this point it may be so also in the future :-P
Old 18 April 2021, 20:32   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Sounds like display related problem. Check misc panel and try switching between D3D9/D3D11, also make sure VSync isn't force-enabled for all programs. (If you have used GPU control panel)