English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 February 2021, 06:50   #1
amiga_BOY

Exclamation How to NOT autoload games or apps from an external Gotek drive?

I would like to load a game or app AFTER my Amiga 500 loads the screen that says to insert "V1.2" disk. I'm using an external Gotek drive for this along with a boot selector. I can boot from this external Gotek drive just fine but I want to see the screen below first before loading any apps or games. Is this possible? I can certainly do that with the internal floppy drive but have not tested the Gotek yet as i have it connected externally.

Old 28 February 2021, 08:39   #2
lesta_smsc

You need to look at enabling disk eject / load button
Old 28 February 2021, 10:44   #3
amiga_BOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
You need to look at enabling disk eject / load button
Are you talking about this one? I have a rotary encoder on the Gotek. I can eject and insert adf images just fine when pushing the rotary button. But it does not behave the way an original floppy drive.

Last edited by amiga_BOY; 28 February 2021 at 12:22.
Old 28 February 2021, 10:47   #4
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_BOY View Post
Are you talking about this one? I have a rotary encoder on the Gotek. I can eject and insert adf images just fine when pushing the rotary button. But it does not behave that i want it to.
It should be quite simple. It acts to eject and insert the selected image so in effect it is as though you have not selected an image or gone to a non allocated number.
Old 28 February 2021, 12:20   #5
amiga_BOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
It should be quite simple. It acts to eject and insert the selected image so in effect it is as though you have not selected an image or gone to a non allocated number.
Yes it looks like when using Flashfloppy with Gotek the eject and insert works but not the way when an original Floppy drive works. For example when I want to boot from the original drive without inserting the disk first it's fine. Just wait for "v1.2" on screen and insert floppy diskette while on a Gotek drive reinserting the image(adf) file will not do anything and you're still stuck on the screen asking you to insert the "v1.2" disk.
Old 28 February 2021, 13:00   #6
solarmon

Set the ejected-on-startup option to "yes". The default is "no".

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...initialisation
Old 28 February 2021, 13:13   #7
amiga_BOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
Set the ejected-on-startup option to "yes". The default is "no".

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...initialisation
Yes I have already tried that earlier and tried it again but still nothing happens when inserting the image by pushing on the rotary knob. The screen is still on "V1.2" display.
Old 28 February 2021, 13:29   #8
solarmon

Use Amiga Test Kit to test the floppy drive signals.

https://github.com/keirf/Amiga-Stuff/releases

Use the floppy drive signal test and see that the Amiga detects when you have inserted or removed an image - you should see the RDY signal appear when you insert an image, and disappear when you eject it.
Old 28 February 2021, 13:38   #9
amiga_BOY

It looks like the answer is to set the pin02 = chg in ff.cfg. It's now working.
Old 28 February 2021, 13:45   #10
solarmon

What FF version are you on? You shouldn't really have to specifically set that in the config.
Old 28 February 2021, 14:00   #11
amiga_BOY

Quote:
What FF version are you on? You shouldn't really have to specifically set that in the config.
It's the latest v3.23.
Old 01 March 2021, 10:22   #12
Jope
-

What is your interface type in the config?
Old 01 March 2021, 10:41   #13
amiga_BOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
What is your interface type in the config?
This is the only text in my FF.CFG:

Code:
ejected-on-startup = yes
pin02 = chg
Old 01 March 2021, 19:38   #14
Jope
-

Do you by chance have a jumper on the JC pins on the gotek?

If so, you can just remove the jumper and then remove the pin02 = chg line to get full Amiga compatibility.

In any case, you shouldn't configure pin02 or pin34 unless you have a very specific need.

interface = shugart (or no interface line AND the JC jumper removed) provides all the correct settings for Amiga use.
Old 02 March 2021, 02:30   #15
amiga_BOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Do you by chance have a jumper on the JC pins on the gotek?

If so, you can just remove the jumper and then remove the pin02 = chg line to get full Amiga compatibility.

In any case, you shouldn't configure pin02 or pin34 unless you have a very specific need.

interface = shugart (or no interface line AND the JC jumper removed) provides all the correct settings for Amiga use.
There is no JC jumper on the Gotek drive.
Old 02 March 2021, 02:55   #16
amiga_BOY

So i just tried doing it again by formatting the usb flash drive as everyone's saying there's no need for the pin02 = chg. It looks you're all right after all. Eject and Insert works just fine without the pin02 = chg setting. I must have missed something. Thank you guys!

Will post some picture on what im really doing later.
Old 02 March 2021, 08:45   #17
amiga_BOY

I’m trying to do a switchless drive selector with Arduino for my Amiga 500 with its internal floppy drive and an external Flashfloppy Gotek drive. I can switch the drives just fine and can boot externally from the Gotek. Normally when I boot from the internal drive then both drives are recognized properly when using an app like X-Copy but when I boot from the external Gotek drive the internal drive is not recognized or not appearing as a second drive. Upon further search online it seems it’s a common issue.

So I thought maybe i can trick the Amiga by loading(Eject/Insert) an adf file form the Gotek drive while switching back to the internal drive. But it did not work because as soon as i switch the drive while loading a file it also transfer reading/loading to the drive i switched to which obviously fire a “corrupt” error or something.

At some point i tried manually switching the drive for testing and found out that you can trick the Amiga to recognize both drives when booting externally with a Gotek by switching to the internal drive for a few seconds and switch it back internally. So to automate and make it switchless i re-programmed the chip to do that and it’s working now. Switching works with both drives recognized whether i boot from the gotek or internally. I can also use an Amiga USB Adapter to do the switching.

While it works with a cold boot, it DOES NOT work with a warm boot (keyboard reset) from the Gotek drive. I mean I can warm boot from it but the internal drive IS NOT recognized. A solution is to eject first the adf/image file from the gotek and reinserting it will make it recognize the internal drive. I’m not really sure yet why. Another possible solution is also to reset the chip on the Gotek when doing a keyboard reset. I haven’t tried this but i will soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E330224A-C100-42A4-8E22-D9543CC72A68.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	71101   Click image for larger version

Name:	CA5FC77F-080C-4F5C-B527-A03C992C46BC.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	71102  

Last edited by amiga_BOY; 02 March 2021 at 08:50.
Old 02 March 2021, 13:02   #18
solarmon

The A500 motherboard only has motor logic for DF0. The Gotek works as DF1 on the internal connector because it does not need/use the motor signal (since it does not have one).

However, the motor signal is also used to ID the floppy drive, which is done at some point when the Amiga initially boots up. (Or when you use Amiga Test Kit, when it goes in to the Floppy Drive testing section).

Your trick of starting out with the internal drive as DF0 and the external drive as DF1, then switching, works because both DF0 and DF1 would have been ID'd already at boot up. If you had booted up with external drive as DF0 and internal drive as DF1 it doesn't work because the the internal drive as DF1 does not get ID'd (because of no motor signal for DF1).

This trick works regardless of the external drive is a Gotek or not. The issue is when the internal drive is DF1.
Old 02 March 2021, 13:16   #19
amiga_BOY

Quote:
The A500 motherboard only has motor logic for DF0. The Gotek works as DF1 on the internal connector because it does not need/use the motor signal (since it does not have one).

However, the motor signal is also used to ID the floppy drive, which is done at some point when the Amiga initially boots up. (Or when you use Amiga Test Kit, when it goes in to the Floppy Drive testing section).

Your trick of starting out with the internal drive as DF0 and the external drive as DF1, then switching, works because both DF0 and DF1 would have been ID'd already at boot up. If you had booted up with external drive as DF0 and internal drive as DF1 it doesn't work because the the internal drive as DF1 does not get ID'd (because of no motor signal for DF1).

This trick works regardless of the external drive is a Gotek or not. The issue is when the internal drive is DF1.
That make sense but the only small issue is why is it not working when rebooting (warm boot) on an un-ejected adf image file on the Gotek.
Old 03 March 2021, 14:15   #20
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_BOY View Post
There is no JC jumper on the Gotek drive.
Curious. Which model do you have?

https://www.richardloxley.com/wp-con...182709160.jpeg