English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 November 2018, 02:52   #41
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
I remember reading in a ZERO mag that Tim Simenon (Bomb the Bass) and S-Express used Commodore machine's for music. As ZERO was a 16-bit magazine, must have been the Amiga
They used quite high end sampling equipment and I think Bomb the Bass definitely used an ST for sequencing to start with.

Does anyone remember which Amiga magazine had an article or an interview with Betty Boo? I do remember she specifically says somewhere she had an Amiga 500 but only footage of her talking about it she doesn't mention the Amiga at all.
Old 04 November 2018, 03:55   #42
oscillik

Team Doyobi, they use Amigas for music and art

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 November 2018, 08:58   #43
sokolovic

Laurent Garnier also used Amiga (He's not a band but neither Calvin Harris is)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurent_Garnier
Old 21 April 2020, 19:25   #44
BigT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
i tried to track down the site with the amiga relevant info but just do not remember it anymore.
Front 242 used A500 for their early artwork according to this article. Listening to Rhythm of Time as I post (the rolling ball in the music video kinda looks like COVID-19 - Granted a strange way to link Amiga, 80's music and COVID19)....
http://hugi.scene.org/online/hugi36/...d%20beyond.htm
Old 05 May 2020, 00:29   #45
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Currently we have:

Pete Cannon. This guy rocks OctaMed on an A1200 and makes music for adverts, TV, his own releases etc. The 1200 is hooked up to external midi gear and drives all of it. I cant be sure, but looking back all this started because he fished out his childhood A1200 some years ago!

[ Show youtube player ]

---

Another one, not so famous granted but a mate of mine!

Xtra Spice Mikey, also known has Phineus.

This lad is nuts! known him for years.

[ Show youtube player ]

---

One more is Darren Flinders.

He made a bunch of pretty dam good mods on the A1200, got them onto CUCD's. I didnt know him at the time until one day a mate of mine introduced me to him! At that time we were all members of the PC version of Octamed Soundstudio. Cant get over how many years have past when looking at that old stuff.
Old 05 May 2020, 00:33   #46
Radertified

Love him or hate him, I'm surprised Kanye West hasn't been mentioned:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 May 2020, 01:31   #47
kriz

@ElectroBlaster: Thanks for those links, really nice new proper Amiga Jungle stuff ... !!
Old 05 May 2020, 11:40   #48
kriz

That extra Spicey Mike is just excellent .. [ Show youtube player ] Proper Amiga Jungle ..
Old 05 May 2020, 15:15   #49
no9

Polish band Kafel made use of A500+ in 1992.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 May 2020, 16:28   #50
Paul_s

Laurie Spiegel used Music Mouse on an Amiga 1000 with a track from her Unseen Worlds album.

Old 09 June 2020, 14:16   #51
ElectroBlaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
@ElectroBlaster: Thanks for those links, really nice new proper Amiga Jungle stuff ... !!
No problems
Old 09 June 2020, 14:19   #52
ElectroBlaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
That extra Spicey Mike is just excellent .. [ Show youtube player ] Proper Amiga Jungle ..
I have known Mikey for years. He never fails to make me smile and laugh! everything he does is brilliant, some of it is crazy but never boring.
Old 21 June 2020, 12:03   #53
TEOL

I believe Bomb The Bass out of the ones not added that people did talk about is right.

I believe they used it as their lofi sampler whilst they also used STs for playing real midi as well.

On Beat Dis there is s even a breakdown where it's completely AMIGA with an AMIGA synth baseline and an AMIGA drum loop sample.

I do have one of my own though Eye Know I think it's called where that uses it as a grainier sampler as well.

The AMIGA as a sampler in mainstream music was pretty much used as the affordable lofi option of an Emulator so if it sounds more lofi than a Paul Hardcastle it was pretty much the AMIGA computer.

1988-1989 dance music samples if not some or all of the full track is pretty much all AMIGA as people found out quick it was the affordable option if you didn't have the real thing being a Hardcastle or a Pet Shop Boys already having a real Emulator broadcasted on TV that it is the option for samples at a cheaper price.

Everything ohhed and ahhed about probably definitely was if it has either the AMIGA tracker sound in high quality or a so lofi sounding sample.
Old 24 September 2021, 14:41   #54
TEOL

It's been ages since this has been revived but I've watched a bit of 1991 lately on Top of the Pops and this Charly Says Music of 1991 special.

Gotta say Prodigy Charlie Says sounds heavily fishy not only do I faintly think I've heard it before on some old Demoscene Showcase show I watched a few years ago but without the vocal samples on top of it but it's because it just sounds AMIGA the original Atari ST has that crappy grainy sound on a drum loop sample like that Close to the Edit track just before the Amiga came out the Amiga drum loops can sound crap it's loads at once blended in a jungle track that pushes it's limits sometimes but it's much clearer like it sounds like on that when it's less samples at once like that Prodigy track used.

The switching of animation and live pictures and picture dual mixing and strobe light effects on top of the music looked Amiga as well.

Proof:

[ Show youtube player ]

100% Amiga Video and Music is what I feel.

Live on stage they would always hide a big Amiga or just not use it anyway but for the recorded one that's definitely Amiga with a recording of a live version for the video mimed to like a Top of the Pops or played differently to the version you hear.

Unless you are Pet Shop Boys in the early pre emulator and Fairlight ST days bringing your ST on stage live miming or live if you are in the future and The Prodigy you probably don't want to know you are working with old STs or Amigas in 1991 but it shows in the video overlays both the track and video were Amiga here or at least Amiga assisted using it's chip to record their keyboard.

Last edited by TEOL; 24 September 2021 at 15:05.
Old 24 September 2021, 16:54   #55
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Snoop doggy dog just made an ode to the amiga. He owned an A2000. He said that who would have made it in the industry without it?

Love that ol' snoop
Old 24 September 2021, 17:03   #56
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEOL View Post
Gotta say Prodigy Charlie Says sounds heavily fishy not only do I faintly think I've heard it before on some old Demoscene Showcase show I watched a few years ago but without the vocal samples on top of it but it's because it just sounds AMIGA the original Atari ST has that crappy grainy sound on a drum loop sample like that Close to the Edit track just before the Amiga came out the Amiga drum loops can sound crap it's loads at once blended in a jungle track that pushes it's limits sometimes but it's much clearer like it sounds like on that when it's less samples at once like that Prodigy track used.
Liam Howlett used Akai samplers
Old 24 September 2021, 18:17   #57
Bren McGuire

and you are 100% wrong, they used akai samplers, not amigas. probably sequenced with ataris. google something for a change
https://theprodigy.info/equipment/
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEOL View Post
100% Amiga Video and Music is what I feel.
this never happened. some rando showed up in some comments and signed as snoop dogg, and the gullible amiga fandom ate it all up of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Snoop doggy dog just made an ode to the amiga. He owned an A2000. He said that who would have made it in the industry without it?
Old 24 September 2021, 22:46   #58
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
and you are 100% wrong, they used akai samplers, not amigas. probably sequenced with ataris. google something for a change
https://theprodigy.info/equipment/

this never happened. some rando showed up in some comments and signed as snoop dogg, and the gullible amiga fandom ate it all up of course.
unfortunately, this is the true Snoop Dog ! The production Amiga were used by many people in Hollywood, and also by some musicians.

Snoop used Video toaster on his A2000.

He did an interview for the New York Post about his A2000 and Video Toaster.
Old 25 September 2021, 16:12   #59
MGAmiga90

Not sure if the Amiga was used in the music production, but Todd Rundgren used Amigas, Toasters and Lightwave for some music videos - which I just happened to come across in Amiga Shopper issue 2, while flicking through it.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 September 2021, 18:00   #60
dreadnought

Unless you have a link to the interview with the actual rapper Snoop Dogg, this is just some dude with his nickname in a comment section... who can't even make it sound like Snoop