English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 November 2013, 21:43   #1
clownstyle

CF card errors?

Hi all,

My CF card bought from amigakit.com seems to be playing up. In all fairness, this was bought a couple of years ago now. (Think it's a kingston)

I have reformatted the drive a number of times, installing GAAE classic workbench.

I have tried setting max transfers to 0x001FE00 as suggested, but still seem to get some checksum errors.

I did try the PFS3 filesystem, thinking this might get rid of some of the errors but then I got: wrong index block ID error - Although I managed to install PFS3 without errors.

The drive gets to a point where I cannot re-edit any partitions in HDtoolbox, winuae gives the error: winuae block zero write failed - Which I believe is related to the drive partitions, rather than Administrator rights (I'm already running as admin) I'm left with no alternative but to wipe the partitions with EaseUS partition manager - Disk Part refuses to clean the drive for some reason, with the error: Diskpart has encountered an error: the system cannot find the file specified...

I hear there is a way to fool WinUAE into writing to the drive, but I will need to be running XP, and an old version of WinUAE.. Tried this in a virtual machine, but that didn't work, although I think that was due to the environment.. I would dual boot XP if this would work.. I think FitzSteve might be able to help me with this, because I had seen it in one of his posts.. Just unsure what version of WinUAE would use the -disablehardrivesafetycheck option?

So it's either something I'm doing wrong, or I need a new CF card. Any tips?

PS - Just realised this could go in the hardware forum

Last edited by clownstyle; 12 November 2013 at 22:41. Reason: I'm a dumbass
Old 12 November 2013, 23:00   #2
thomas

If every software you use is telling you that this CF card can no longer be written to, then it's time to get a new one.

Usually people ask how data can be recovered from their dying storage. But you've already destroyed everything there was to recover, so you are prepared to trash it and start from scratch with a new one. Just do it.
Old 12 November 2013, 23:03   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownstyle View Post
Just realised this could go in the hardware forum
So I've moved it for you.
Old 12 November 2013, 23:05   #4
clownstyle

Thanks for that Thomas. I think all I was really looking for was a confirmation that I needed a new one

You have a lot of experience, if I get a new card is it worth using a PFS3 filesystem on an a600?

Can you recommend any brand / type of CF card? People seem to recommend the Sandisk ultra II from what I have read so far.

PS- Thanks Prowler

Last edited by clownstyle; 12 November 2013 at 23:18.
Old 12 November 2013, 23:18   #5
thomas

For speed reasons it's definitely worth to use PFS3 on a slow computer.

On the other hand due to its "atomic commit" mechanism it does a lot of writes to the same sector on the partition. AFAIK CF cards don't do wear leveling like SSDs do, so I could imagine that PFS3 shortens the card's live time more than FFS does.

But anyway I am surprised that the CF card died for you at all. Actually I thought that it was not possible to do this with AmigaOS. Thinking about what CF cards are made for, i.e. storing lots of photos or videos and being wiped before every new vacation, I would mean that this would stress the card much more than a more or less read-only operating system.
Old 12 November 2013, 23:21   #6
clownstyle

I'm quite suprised it died as well. That's why I thought it might be me doing something wrong.

The PFS3 error does seem to suggest it's the card though, as well as the constant checksum errors when I try and write something in dopus using FFS
Old 13 November 2013, 03:06   #7
Nobby_UK

I had a 4 Gig Kingston Card die on me after only Six Months use