English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 June 2001, 12:51   #1
Mangar
Got the fever back

Cinemaware posts Amiga games for download

Cinemaware has started posting their classic amiga games for download. Check it out at www.cinemaware.com

Here's a blurb..

Quote:
We are pleased to offer the original Amiga version of this game in ROM form. The ROMs have been compressed in Zip format, so you will need a Zip tool such as WinZip to extract them.

In order to play the ROM, you will need to first download the appropriate Amiga Emulator for your system and acquire a Kickstart Rom.

Please note: The Kickstart ROM is copyrighted by Amiga International and we may not distribute it. Officially licensed Amiga ROM and OS files are available both for download and on CD-ROM as part of Cloanto's Amiga Forever package, which includes Kickstart files up to v. 3.1 (the latest version).

For additional methods for acquiring the Kickstart ROM, please refer to the "Kickstart ROM Information" at www.codepoet.com/UAE/FAQ.htm.
Kinda funny how they call the disk images roms. Wonder if they realize you can WRITE information on these images which does not make them read-only..

Anyways, good to see yet another company releasing their old software to the masses instead of trying to make a few quarters off it like some other company we know that starts with an A and ends with an A.. rhymes with lamiga.. then again they always had a meagah marketing strategy.. sorry for the pun..

Old 05 June 2001, 18:56   #2
Amiga1992

Yes, that's quite stupid, calling them ROMs...

I can't wait for the new Wings game, released for the Gameboy Advance. It looks just like the original one.

for now, I'll go play some F-Zero
Old 05 June 2001, 19:31   #3
Mangar
Got the fever back

Be sure to let me know what Wings on the GA is like.. Might make me go out and buy one.. It was one of my top 3 amiga games..
Old 06 June 2001, 09:39   #4
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Mmm, Cinemaware. If only I had a meg of RAM to Play Wings... If only... Hey, did anyone ever finish DOtC? I don't think I ever got through it. Those jousting battles were just so hard. You had to time it exactly right. Anyone else have trouble with the jousting?
Old 06 June 2001, 17:44   #5
Mangar
Got the fever back

Ah, Defenders of the Crown. A true classic. I never finished it on the amiga. I have on the 64 where the gameplay is much better.
Old 06 June 2001, 18:49   #6
Amiga1992

Mangar, Wings for the GBA:

http://www.cinemaware.com/gbawings_main.asp

Taken from Cinemaware's site. Let's hope it plays as good as the original, and I'd like to see the OTHER sections too. Though the isometric one was one of my faves.

Also, I finished the C64 version of DotC and not the Amiga one
Old 06 June 2001, 19:20   #7
MosMensk

haha....

It looks quite nice!!

Check out the movie : http://www.cinemaware.com/products/g.../newwings2.asp

Old 08 June 2001, 00:48   #8
Karl Stodulski

I finished the Amiga version of DotC. I wouldn't say it was the hardest game I ever played. And I was about 9 years old .

If there was ever a game that kept me enthralled and had loads of replayability, that was the game. Ultima 4 had the same effect .

I didn't like the jousting either, although there was a certain way to do it. I liked using the catapult and the swordfights.

There was a cheat for it as well, which let you get 1024 knights (I think). I was never able to get it working, despite it being reported in all the Amiga magazines.

Cheers,

Old 08 June 2001, 19:12   #9
Gibby

Wink Cheat Worked

you had to hold down the k key while the game was loading. I managed to get it to work and it was simple to complete the game with that cheat although I think I did manage it without the cheat as well.

PS - Yay, my 100th Post.

Old 12 June 2001, 23:22   #10
morph72

Defender of the Crown

Defender of the Crown was a revelation when i first saw it on the Amiga. WOW! The graphics were just too good to be true. I mean, hey, this game dates from 1986!
You never finished it? It's not that hard actually - provided you have the right strategy. And yeah, jousting sucks - never quite figured out how to win in the tournaments. Luckily, you can win the game without it.
Oh, and here's one for you Burge! Check out the attachment

Removed screenshot

Last edited by Ian; 21 October 2001 at 01:52.

Old 27 June 2001, 13:13   #11
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Noooooooooo! You should have had a spoiler alert before you go blurting out endings all willy nilly! Thanks alot Mr. Ruin the game for me! Just kidding , I probably never would have seen the ending otherwise. On another note, what a shitty ending! The game deserved better than that.

Last edited by Burge; 27 June 2001 at 17:32.
Old 27 June 2001, 14:02   #12
Walker

I never thought I´d see that screen... nice!

Hmmm... maybe there should be an "End Screens" collection!
Old 27 June 2001, 21:49   #13
morph72

Defender of the Crown

@Burge: Sorry for spoiling the game for you! I promise i won't do it again. Actually i think the ending doesn't look sooo bad - the "The End" text has the same cool color scrolling effect that the title screen is using. Of course it would have been nicer to see the knight and his mistress ride into the sunset... or maybe get to see what they're up to AFTER the fireplace sequence

@Walker: there are some sites for that purpose - if you people have any end screens (or Amiga screenshots in general), you should consider sending them here or here !

Old 27 June 2001, 22:01   #14
Opi

Big grin

Hey hey hey Schorschi
Thanks for the advertisement !

You're current location is still France ?

I've taken more than 400 new pics from my Amiga faves but the best of all shots (DotC) are still missing !

Take Care
Hope your French sweatheart is ok.

Old 27 June 2001, 23:37   #15
Amiga1992

hey Opi,

I know you are an Amiga (and prolly C64?) fan... you are the only one who plugs interesting amiga/64 stuff in retrogames... Keep on with that, it gives me a nice thing to read over there among heaps and heaps of uninteresting news

I should be pushing more Amiga stuff onto Shmups, we dont have as many Amiga reviews as I'd like to, but I can't be doing them all. And we lack C64 shmups reviews too!

So much work to do... maintaining a website IS hard work (but really rewarding )
Old 07 July 2001, 19:08   #16
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
TV Sports Basketball

No TV Sports Basketball, download for Amiga.

My copy dont want to work on my A1200 HD, i think the copy that Cinemmaware put sometime ago works.

So, does somebody had the oportunity to download those adf images ???

Old 09 July 2001, 10:19   #17
ptrchiappe

Send a message via AIM to ptrchiappe
AFAIK TVSBasketball hasn't been made available for downlaod by Cinemaware yet, only Football and Baseball.

I have a copy of it, but it's probably the same you tried and i've never tried on my a1200.

Anyway here it is.
Old 25 September 2004, 11:57   #18
Galaxy

Game downloads from Cinemaware.com are working once again (have been down for some months).

For those that don't know, Cinemaware have made most of their early games available for download on their website (after registering a login).

It's a shame that there aren't more game companies that have had the foresight to release their games to the emulation community. Good on you Cinemaware.

@ptrchiappe: TVS Basketball is available there along with almost all of the other Cinemaware games (but I guess you've already located it since you posted your message over 3 years ago...).
Old 27 September 2004, 09:29   #19
ptrchiappe

Send a message via AIM to ptrchiappe
Yes, it was posted a few months after my post but i never updated the information here.
Old 27 September 2004, 23:40   #20
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

*grumbles*

I have problems with that cinemaware-site . .. it tells me I'm logged in, up until I try to select a game I'd like to download . . . then it tells me "you have to sign in to dl this game"

it MIGHT be a fault of Opera, but still . . . annoying as he|_|_